Wrapping up the "required tube" placement and should start on the rear section area. The cab forward "look" should be more visible once the back end is tied in. As always, comments and criticism is welcomed. Here are a couple cellphone pics showing some progress. Below the midrail "tie-ins" are ready but not installed to allow better access to interior.
Wow. Amazing lookin stuff. You clearly have done this before. as a newb wanting to build a simple buggy youve opened my eyes as to what it really takes. Ive never seen the scaffolding before. A pic is worth about a weeks time with my nose in a book! Thanks for sharin your progress and showing your methodology behind your build, keep it up!
Set the trans and confirmed the "drop-out" bracket for the S4 will function as planned... Should have the overall "skeleton" completed within the next few weeks (back half). Still completing main cage tubing gussets and relocated "wind-wing" (for lack of a better phrase) bar as opposed to what is shown in the picture... basically less of an angle in order to tie into lower midrail tubing. Should have more of a buggy appearance by then... hopefully
Should be wrapping up the final "skeleton" on the car fairly soon, allowing me to finalize a few files to send out for laser cutting.... brackets, mounts, etc... Once the final skeleton is wrapped up, the final lacing will take place, weld-out and "hopefully" will be coming off the table. As always, comments/criticism is welcomed, at least somewhat.
...Awaiting laser order to finish up the rear engine cage. In the meantime, began installing the support structure of the buggy now that the "required tubes" have been located in the skeleton (watching big open areas turn into small shoehorn areas). Began plotting out where the spare will be located while reinforcing the structure to the rear arm's inner pivot. A bracket will be located that will serve as the radiator's lower mount and the spare's forward anchor point...if that makes sense. Working on having brackets that will serve multiple functions rather than one bracket per item. The trans (in pics) is offset while awaiting bracketry.
I love this project, it's very close to what I want to do here pretty soon.
Can I ask, where did you get your CAD models for the trans & steering rack? (the steering system is more important for me right now). I didn't find them on trails less traveled or 3dcontentcentral. Did the manufacturers supply them before you bought the part or was it contingent on the purchase?
I'm currently in the slow design phase for my buggy and having solid models of the purchased parts would be tremendously helpful.
Mike, I usually try to get a model direct from the company, "most" are willing to send a block type file or shell for modeling, at the least. I say "most", I have ran across various companies that think they are giving out a state secret or flatly deny a file exists... even after I have seen the email to others... but that is a story for another day. I have found, as long as you are specific in your needs, most are willing to help. A sure way to be unsuccessful is to call a company and ask for everything they have.... probably wont work.
Be very skeptical of a file from any individual (and some companies)... concerning measurements. I consider any file 0% accurate until I check it myself... lesson learned ( and re-learned) the hard way.
These pics are about two weeks old, "should" have the entire chassis ready for weld-out in the next week...or so... slowly but surely. Any comments/criticism is always welcomed. Focusing now on the different brackets that will be in the car: radiator mount, reservoir(s) mount, steering, etc... now that certain measurements are "known".
...Finished up the skeleton of the car and it is finally ready for weld-out. A few tubes are not "visible" in the pics but have been made... waiting on installation to make negotiating the car easier during welding. Stacking up on laser orders that I need to send out of various brackets that will be in the car. It "feels" like the car is developing a decent vibe about it and should be a fun car to try out. Hopefully... the next set of pictures will be off of the table.
A couple of pics showing the overall of the chassis. In the pics, the rake doesnt show too well, being on the level frame table but should be more pronounced when on the ground. As always, any comments and/or criticism is welcomed before the 20 pound box of TIG rod gets cracked...
Got tired of driving over to a machinist to have lathe work done, so I decided to buy one and learn how to use it since I haven't a clue concerning lathe operations....
Now that the lathe is up and running, been working on figuring out how to use it. I've been looking for tube endcaps for the front bumper since I did not want the weld on the edge of the bumper (welding a slug to the end) but setback 3/8", giving a clean edge to the bumper. The only endcaps that I have seen have been with a radius on the end (ballend)... that looked a little too "baller" status for what I wanted. Here is what I ended up with for the front bumper endcaps. 1018 steel, overall length .750"
...and of course, here is the caboose of the buggy, beginning the weld-out process, with all tubes tacked into place. The rear endcaps will be made from plate with "fingers" that extend out, tying all tubes into the junction, I hope.
A full radius on something that big is a little hard to do on a manual lathe. Unless you have a swinging radius cutting attachment tool that mounts to the cross slide, it's a no-go. A form tool that big would just chatter............
Or, you could have just bought some large steel balls from McMaster Carr.............