Sportsman Buggy Build

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
5Racer, thanks Steve for the kind words, it is appreciated. It may not be the fastest build ever but it is coming along as planned... so far so good.

PBarge, still learning the limitations of my lathe... still ALOT to learn regarding lathe work... something new, should have bought one many moons ago.

At the point in the weld-out that all of the scaffolding could be removed. After all was removed, it cleaned up the picture a bit so the buggy can now be seen. Still alot to do... lots of brackets, mounts and gussets (tube) to be made... started on finalizing the upper rear shock mount area also.

weldout2.jpg

weldout1.jpg

5racer

RDC Crypto
dam and this whole time i thought you had to earn these lol.

Or, you could have just bought some large steel balls from McMaster Carr

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Stellar craftsmanship, looking forward to seeing this machine hauling **
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA****
fr.gif
OOH LA LA**.

Sorry, my linguistic skills do not include French...

Thanks for the positive input, were still plugging away. Unfortunately, at this stage, much of the work that is needed doesn't make for very good pictures; however, work continues. The chassis should be off the table "soon" as the welding continues. Also, noticed there will be a significant amount of parts that will be machined for the buggy... so, doing the "sensible" thing, bought the machinery and decided to learn how to use it... As a side, currently looking for a Millrite, if anyone is selling. Started the punch lists for the next two steps and in the process of still picking up odds and ends. Hopefully, some pictures that show progress aren't too far off... (famous last words).

weld2A.jpg

weld2B.jpg

flange2A.jpg

flanges.jpg

ecu.jpg

Last edited:

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Minor Update:

Chassis is ready to be pulled from the table to be flipped for additional welding. Once a laser order is received, final tube gussets, tabbing and brackets will be welded in.... as well as "everything" else to get it into a final roller form. Started layout for the tin work... at least "conceptually" and buying more equipment to do it. (Keep reminding self that this is a simple Sportsman build)

tabled1.jpg

tabled2.jpg

tabled4.jpg

tabled3.jpg

TauMau

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wisdomracing.com
Looks awesome DG! Have the STF guys started a pot yet for how long it'll be before you're drawing up another race car?

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Looks awesome DG! Have the STF guys started a pot yet for how long it'll be before you're drawing up another race car?

Man, I hope not... it's time to start enjoying these things, however, it is hard to pass up when someone would like to buy them. In that case... you "always" have to be ready for the next one.

Dezert Razer 77

RDC Crypto
Minor Update:

Chassis is ready to be pulled from the table to be flipped for additional welding. Once a laser order is received, final tube gussets, tabbing and brackets will be welded in.... as well as "everything" else to get it into a final roller form. Started layout for the tin work... at least "conceptually" and buying more equipment to do it. (Keep reminding self that this is a simple Sportsman build)

tabled1.jpg

tabled2.jpg

tabled4.jpg

tabled3.jpg

nice work man
how many ponies your putting back there?

Forty1Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.hnmmotorsports.com
Great craftsmanship, aesthetically pleasing, on a budget... all makes for a awesome build!

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Great craftsmanship, aesthetically pleasing, on a budget... all makes for a awesome build!

Thanks, I keep reminding myself of that dirty word... "budget".

The welding continues... In the process of getting all of the bracketry files done so it can be added in during this stage... alot of brackets. That being said, R&I Industries, Inc. always does an awesome job on my orders... somehow, they manage to make it look like I know what I'm doing when using SW. Sometimes it feels like cheating with how well everything fits... just a big Snap-Tite model.

The buggy will be set-up so it can be filled either by drybreak or "normal" filling from either side.

fillerz1.jpg

fillerz2.jpg

reservoirz.jpg

Last edited:

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Minor Update:

The chassis has been welded out and final re-enforcement brackets are being welded in. Following that, the bracketry for various components will be added and then re-assembly to make it a "roller" will start. Thought about posting a pic of it on its lid... but somehow that seems like bad Juju, so that will remain unposted.

Not very good pics but show the basic idea of what's goin' on...

Wkly7d.jpg

Wkly7b.jpg

Wkly7c.jpg

Wkly7a.jpg

fillerfinal.jpg

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
...Hmmm, unable to "edit" above post, must be a time limit. These were the two that should have been posted above:

deck11.jpg

deck2.jpg

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Looking good!

Now comes the expensive part, putting it together. Plumbing and electrical always seem to nickle and dime you to death.......

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Now comes the expensive part...Plumbing and electrical always seem to nickle and dime you to death.......

Very true words... started purchasing all of the electrical for the buggy... needless to say, it's painful.

Now that the holidays are over, progress on the buggy will be more focused. There is still some "tie-in" work to be done on the torsion housing and bottom floor... those will be completed when the buggy is flipped and fitted with the skidplates. The process has begun to weld in all of the laser cut brackets for component locating. Although ALOT of work gets done, it rarely "shows" progress... hopefully now will start to see it come together.

It still looks like the picture in my "mind's eye"... so I suppose that is a good thing. The cab forward and 1.5 degree rake is starting to show... finally.

As always... criticism is welcomed, I think.

BgyFrt.jpg

BgySde1.jpg

BgySde2.jpg

BgySde3.jpg

BgyBck.jpg

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Thanks Steve... hopefully, it will end up being a respectable Sportsman Class entry, and more importantly... be able to withstand my lack of talent.

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Any updated pics???

The chassis has all necessary/required tubing in place and all gussets have been welded in. Basically, it is ready to go for a SCORE tech inspection, just need to work on scheduling it... among other things.

At this point, still working on all of the brackets and tabs that are needed... alot of brackets and tabs.

Here are a few older pics getting it inspection ready.

gussetz.jpg

fillaB.jpg

conzull.jpg

On a "cool" factor update:

Although this is a "budget" build, one item that I did not want to compromise on is the lighting for the buggy. With this build, I wanted the very best that the industry has to offer. After looking around and evaluating all lights that are currently available... I finalized my lighting package using Rigid Industries LED Light Bars. These bars are "crazy" bright and the quality of the lights are beyond any others that I have seen. Even as awesome as these lights are, Rigid Industries customer service has been nothing but stellar. I have a few "different" ideas on what I want to do with the lightbar, every special request/idea that I had was met with professionalism and a "get it done" attitude.

I am finishing up some computer files for yet another laser order and machining a few items for the lightbar. Once I have it all tacked and functioning, I'll post up. That being said, here is a quick pic of the lighting package to be put on the buggy. With over 35,000 lumens of forward facing light... I am fairly confident the buggy will be seen and I'll be able to see the road.

The lower row of lighting is the Amber Series LED lights... an awesome light!

ledrigid.jpg

Last edited: