RDC Crypto
Website
www.bii1.com
How did you make this notch?

gussetz.jpg

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
How did you make this notch?

The tube gusset was "roughed" out with a plasma cutter, to identify needed planes, then finished with a flap wheel grinder until TIG weldable fitment was achieved. Making a single gusset isn't too bad; however, making multiple tube gussets for the chassis that must be =/< 1/16" in identical dimension between sides... well, that is where time can be consumed fairly quickly.

...always looking for better alternatives though...;)

Just a couple of the many on the buggy...

guzzy1.jpg

guzzy2.jpg

Last edited:

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Holy cow man, I can't wait to see you try to find a home for all those lights.

...was thinking I "may" need more...:D:D

Almost done "prototyping" the lightbar, should be... unique. One nice thing about the LED lightbars, since the mounting points are identical, it allows me to work in "miniature" to sort everything out... very nice.

"prototyping" (code for, if I mess up the first one... it was intentional)

rigidbracketsa.jpg

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Minor Update:

chassisza.jpg

Loaded the chassis up and headed down south for a SCORE tech inspection. I figured at this stage of the chassis, making any necessary changes would be less hectic than if the chassis was complete; come to find out, they appreciated getting to see it at this stage. Found the whole process pretty simple and straight forward... buy the rulebook, build chassis to rules, get inspection and.....

get a SCORE tag!

SCORETech.jpg

After many "clarification" questions, it was nice to put a face to the people that put up with the questions. The folks at SPD were very complimentary of the chassis and provided great information for additional questions I had. The inspection itself moved along since everything was "out in the open"; after that, time was spent shootin' the breeze before driving back.

Now it's time to start putting everything that I have sittin around, on the buggy and, of course, send out more laser files for brackets that I need...

As far as the "nickel and dime" stuff... I'm still waiting to see those pricetags, I haven't seen one yet, maybe it will be with the GPS' I need to order...

commlink.jpg

squirelmurphy

RDC Crypto
In this game, nickels and dimes are actually $50's and $100's. Nickels and dimes is just code language I use in front of my wife.

Your build is impressive, I've been following it for awhile. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed, I'm sure you are too! Congrats on the SCORE tag, I'm sure that was a nice feeling to pass with no drama.

PDANK Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.pdankoffroad.com
Great job on everything. I like that you bought your own machine equipment, doesn't take many parts to cover the cost of it. Look forward to seeing this thing rolling.

Pete

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
In this game, nickels and dimes are actually $50's and $100's. Nickels and dimes is just code language I use in front of my wife.

At this point, my wife has just gave up "wanting to know"... she already knows I'm nuts.

I like that you bought your own machine equipment, doesn't take many parts to cover the cost of it...

Haven't decided if that is a good thing or not, once you have certain pieces of machinery... you "see" all the things that you must have, which all take more time.

These bushings are for the bars that will go over the top of the engine, allowing the spare to be dragged out.

booshing2.jpg

Last edited:

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
After "bending" the ear of those that have always given me great advice, the name Weldon Racing Pumps kept coming up when discussing fuel pumps/filters and related items. Once I gave them a call, I quickly realized why that was... they have a level of customer service that was pretty amazing. From multiple phone calls to emails, their staff took the time to "school" me on what components I needed to accomplish what I wanted to do (redundant fuel systems). Once everything showed up... the quality of the pumps/filters are far superior to anything I have seen/used in the past. Although this is a "budget" build, sometimes you just need to have quality stuff... especially, when fuel is involved. From talking to them to receiving everything (more filters not pictured), now I understand why they are so highly recommended...

weldon1.jpg

Also, been "making stuff to make stuff" as far as the overall buggy is concerned. Finished up the steering column and finalizing the bracketry needed.

columnA.jpg

columnB.jpg

Installed the skidplates on the buggy and should have updated pics fairly soon. Having the skidplates installed... it actually is started to look like something.

Mike_McCluskey

RDC Crypto
Work does tend to mess with the free time. Not sure what "free time" is anymore. Seems to cost more then working time! "Not-so-freebie buggy" may actually be making it's maiden voyage, under it's own power, at the MORE race. Ronny's been making good progress lately.
I think we are going to use one of the FE brackets to hold the FOA jack I bought instead of their mount. I'll send you pics when it's mounted.

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Still working on getting the buggy to a "completed" roller state... made/installed skidplates, fitting major components and, as always, more welding/more brackets. One nice part, with such minimal lateral tire scrub, the buggy can be cycled from one extreme to the other without "squeaking" along the concrete floor... which is nice.

As of now, besides buying more stuff, the plan is: finish up rear shock mounts and get everything ready for the aluminum work; haven't decided if it will be done "in-house" (in-garage) or be sent out... Once that is complete, I will work on plumbing and wiring the buggy. Some brackets will be made along the way once the major components have been installed, that way... I will know they will fit how I want. Even though it is taking longer than I had hoped, I am happy with the way it is coming along... so far.

A couple of pics... Comments/Criticism always welcomed...

upbuggy6.jpg

upbuggy1.jpg

upbuggy5.jpg

upbuggy2.jpg

upbuggy3.jpg

upbuggy4.jpg

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
...These were the additional pics meant to be posted above, showing that the rear arms have been mounted. Hopefully, if all goes somewhat as planned, the next update should be outside, as a roller... at least that is the plan.

Also, worked on a steering column that offsets the steering pivot to lessen any angles on the U-joints. A bracket will be welded into the chassis, making the column "drop-out" for maintenance and prep.

bugged1.jpg

bugged2.jpg

stubbyColumn.jpg

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
any updates to post?

Wrapping up all of the little loose ends that don't make for good pictures but, unfortunately, is still necessary. Also, having parts machined that will allow me to eliminate multiple connections.

Should have some "proper" pictures pretty soon...

junkIntrunk.jpg

gasblock.jpg

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
...From a "design" standpoint, having all of the LED lightbars modeled in SW helps with "adjusting" all of the needed lighting brackets as well as checking that an idea will function as it should. The front lightbar will be a "one-man" operation to place and remove while being quick connect/disconnect. It may look different from the norm but will be all function... pics coming soon...

Rigid1.jpg

rigidbracketsa.jpg