Spot X Review

Hurley37

Reaction
Has anyone gotten to try out the new Spot X? I want to purchase one before the 1000 but am reading mixed reviews about it. Any info would be great! Thanks Guys.

johndjmix

Reaction
Hey hurley, i got one when it was first released. It’s good and bad...

It does send txt via satellite and receive them. But there are LONG delays as in 15 mins sometimes. Also there is no audiable indication that you have a new message...you have to keep checking. The interface is very dated...almost archaic.

I’m assuming the SOS function works well. Never used it.

Personally I was expecting more from SPOT, their small devices have always worked great for me.

They do have a very important software update that I have yet to do that’s sopose to make it work a lot better.

Personally I would get a unit that allows you to connect in from your phone to send messages via sat. I wouldn’t buy this unit again.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Hurley37

Reaction
Hey hurley, i got one when it was first released. It’s good and bad...

It does send txt via satellite and receive them. But there are LONG delays as in 15 mins sometimes. Also there is no audiable indication that you have a new message...you have to keep checking. The interface is very dated...almost archaic.

I’m assuming the SOS function works well. Never used it.

Personally I was expecting more from SPOT, their small devices have always worked great for me.

They do have a very important software update that I have yet to do that’s sopose to make it work a lot better.

Personally I would get a unit that allows you to connect in from your phone to send messages via sat. I wouldn’t buy this unit again.

—John

Thanks for the info, Im looking more into the Garmin units. Sounds like thats the way to go.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Fish and I both got one when they came out. Both had similar results.

The reliability is poor. Message time is varied in our experiences.

The way it is advertised would be amazing if it worked however I am not impressed.

PaulW

Reaction
In general Spot is a good system. Reliability wont be different vs earlier SPOT versions.
Based on my research:
SpotX - Default and lowest cost is 10 min track points. which results in unacceptable GPX tracks and is the same as the older SPOT devices. Choose much more track points and get slightly better track results. If you want to compare with an InReach device. Both have messages that should work fine. In Baja we only use email message due to poor text/cell results.
If one does not care about tracks the choose the lowest cost plan with minimum messages for 11.95/mo.
If best track is desired then choose 29.95 plan which is still not a good as nearly as good as the InReach basic plan with minimal messages and nearly unlimited track points at a cost of 27.16/mo
Hard to believe anything above the minimum messages per month would be necessary so I would not consider number of messages an issue.
The Inreach with proper track point settings will give the best GPX/KML track of any device currently available including all GPS devices. Important if you save tracks.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Do not buy. Piece of crap. Returned mine. I tried it on a boat and in the middle of nowhere.

Deviant

Reaction
Get an old InReach Explorer. Its the older version of the Garmin.
You can get a 1 month plan and it pairs to your cell phone.
Unlimited incoming Texts
Works Well in Mexico.

TwistyItch

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Do not buy. Piece of crap. Returned mine. I tried it on a boat and in the middle of nowhere.
Damn I am sure glad I got distracted and did not buy my unit now, but disappointed they could not pull this off. I liked it from the design standpoint.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Damn I am sure glad I got distracted and did not buy my unit now, but disappointed they could not pull this off. I liked it from the design standpoint.
Ya the concept is awesome. The Inreach unit now by Garmin works great, however you have to use your phone to pair it to for texting with a keyboard and the Garmin plans are very expensive for texting.

SpotX sent the text about every 1 in 5 tries for me. Sometimes it took as long as 30min to send it. Also you can only have 3 messages waiting in the que. Each one sends every 2.5 or 5min or whatever your fetch rate is. However the battery life is only a couple days if it’s set to 2.5 or 5.

The tracking with the SpotX was spotty also. It didn’t work attached to the outside of a backpack nor sitting inside a car. If you want tracking only get a Spot Trace, they work great even inside a glovebox they work!

Hopefully they refine the X and the next model of it will work a little better.

powerbox_builder

Reaction
One tip I've learned with any of these units, even sat phones, is to put a time stamp on all of your texts. Sending and receiving, the delay is always changing. Sometimes immediate, sometimes an hour.

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Reaction
One tip I've learned with any of these units, even sat phones, is to put a time stamp on all of your texts. Sending and receiving, the delay is always changing. Sometimes immediate, sometimes an hour.
Now that a great tip! Then you know for sure how much time has passed before you got the message or actually seen it. Would help in figuring out the eta of your car too. Nice info.

MTPyle

Reaction
Garmin InReach works great. It updates location for tracking every 10 min and you. An share it to anyone. Texting works good and usually is within a few minutes. Only issue is it uses a different phone number for texting than yours. But it stays the same so people can save the number and send to you.

I have never used Spot.

Mike