Sprokets

peezy

Reaction
2003 yz250f.

I have a question, i found a RMA rear sproket for $16 and there is pages of good reviews on it. But they dont come in 45 teeth. they only come in 47 to 52 i think. SO my question is for that price of sproket would i be able to change the front and read sproket to go with the 47 rear? Like what is the best for more of dezert riding.

Thanks for the help if anyone can under stand what i am trying to say.

motoman29

Reaction
you should not be running a 45 rear.

14/47 would be pretty tall, maybe 13/47 for your bike and skill level.

btw, the rma's are a good buy for the $

peezy

Reaction
Edit:

I am not sure if is a 45 or 49 teeth, it is C45, R480-49 and my front is a 13.

So if i am going to be riding mostly dezert with some track and trails u think a 13/47 will be good?

Also my moms boyfriends wants me to ask if i would have to change anything else like the gears in side of the engine when u change just the sprokets. (I think you dont)

Also, if you dont mind point me or tell me what does it mean if you have more teeth in the front and back then if you have less in the front and back (if you kinda know what i mean).

+rep for u my friend

Thanks man.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Peezy, what does your manual tell you? The manual should give you the "stock" (original) gearing it came with.You have asked this question before? How does the bike ride now, and what gearing (sprocket size, front and rear) does it have now? Changing internal gearing? Never. It really depends on what you are doing. Sure, most guy's "gear up" for the desert. Why? Because, they go through the gears to fast and want/need their bike to go faster. If you ride the desert a lot and have decided that this is the majority of your riding then sure, go ahead and gear it up ( a little).Remember, once you have changed sprockets and altered ( cut) the chain, there's no going back to your "track and trail" gearing, riding. Some bikes are sensitive to axle placement (wheel base).

ORR183

Reaction
Edit:

I am not sure if is a 45 or 49 teeth, it is C45, R480-49 and my front is a 13.

So if i am going to be riding mostly dezert with some track and trails u think a 13/47 will be good?

Also my moms boyfriends wants me to ask if i would have to change anything else like the gears in side of the engine when u change just the sprokets. (I think you dont)

Also, if you dont mind point me or tell me what does it mean if you have more teeth in the front and back then if you have less in the front and back (if you kinda know what i mean).

+rep for u my friend

Thanks man.
you have a 49 tooth on the rear. If you think thats "too tight" drop the rear to a 47 and keep the front at 13. Or leave the rear at 49/48 and put a 14 on the front.

Bigger the counter(front) sprocket, and smaller the rear: more top speed.
Smaller the counter(front) and larger the rear: more acceleration/shifting.

Whatever you do make sure to adjust the axel blocks to the correct chain tension.

peezy

Reaction
Peezy, what does your manual tell you? The manual should give you the "stock" (original) gearing it came with.You have asked this question before? How does the bike ride now, and what gearing (sprocket size, front and rear) does it have now? Changing internal gearing? Never. It really depends on what you are doing. Sure, most guy's "gear up" for the desert. Why? Because, they go through the gears to fast and want/need their bike to go faster. If you ride the desert a lot and have decided that this is the majority of your riding then sure, go ahead and gear it up ( a little).Remember, once you have changed sprockets and altered ( cut) the chain, there's no going back to your "track and trail" gearing, riding. Some bikes are sensitive to axle placement (wheel base).
I have not asked this question, I think i am going to just get a 49 or a 48t rear sprocket and keep my 13 up front. I just want to learn what the sizes really do to the bike and that if i needed to know this stuff later on i did not need to ask it. Thanks for the help.

you have a 49 tooth on the rear. If you think thats "too tight" drop the rear to a 47 and keep the front at 13. Or leave the rear at 49/48 and put a 14 on the front.

Bigger the counter(front) sprocket, and smaller the rear: more top speed.
Smaller the counter(front) and larger the rear: more acceleration/shifting.

Whatever you do make sure to adjust the axel blocks to the correct chain tension.

ok, What u mean "Too tight" if i may ask? So if get it i would go to 14(front), 48(rear) for speed and if i wanted the more acceleration i would do 13(front),50(rear). I am not doing that just making sure i read it right.

Thanks for the help i think i am going to keep my 13 front and maybe drop my rear to 48/47. I should get about good acceleration and speed right with a 13,47/48?

Thanks, and i know i need to read more, but i find it a little easy when other people can put it in other words that i can understand a bit more.

JRomans

Reaction
When he says "to tight" he is refering to being geared too low. If you feel that your bike is not fast enough at top speed than change your gearing but remember that this affects your low range.

For instance I geared my quad for top speed but when I get into a tight section with big boulders, first gear is not low enough so I have to ride the clutch a little more than I would prefer.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Damn, Peezy, Your post on Aug. 8th., sprocket questions. Not the same topic?

peezy

Reaction
Ok, i am going to keep my 13 (front) and drop my rear one tooth, so a 48 for the rear and give that tri. Thanks for the help

Damn, Peezy, Your post on Aug. 8th., sprocket questions. Not the same topic?
It wont happen again officer. :cool: