sputtering

peezy

Reaction
i have a 2003 yzf250. it is sputtering when i let go of the gas on the slow down. idk why it is doing it.

i think it might be the jetting, it has been setting for a year. should i check and clean the jetting? if so how :confused: guide please :(

anything else i can do to fix it?

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
i have a 2003 yzf250. it is sputtering when i let go of the gas on the slow down. idk why it is doing it.

i think it might be the jetting, it has been setting for a year. should i check and clean the jetting? if so how :confused: guide please :(

Tomorrow, go buy the Shop manual, for your bike. Not the owners manual. Sit down and read it. If you still have questions, ask. Time to start figuring it out for yourself.

peezy

Reaction
i have the service and part manual, i think it is the service,

i am looking under carburetor. i clean the Needle valve right. and all the jets

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Take the whole carb out, douche it in carb cleaner.
then blow it out w/ compresed air! ( jets venturies etc, EVERYTHING!)
Dont cheap out, you dont want to do it twice.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
If you dont want to do it your self a shop should charge I think around $100. Lots of small parts in a carb...

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
i have the service and part manual, i think it is the service,

i am looking under carburetor. i clean the Needle valve right. and all the jets
GOOD! read the manual, it's the best piece of advice you'll get. Study the diagrams/pictures too. You will find proper cable, hose routing (often looked over). ALLWAYS wear saftey glass's too when using any carb cleaner etc. !

peezy

Reaction
update:

this is what i did from what i can do from the book.

1. cleaned carb/jettings
2. cleaned spark plug
3. fixed my clutch seal leak

it is still sputtering, i am trying to do this by my self but need an idea what it can be.

i think it might be a gasket between the header and the engine or the header and exhust letting cold air in. i will do this tomorrow

some one said take off the tps and clean it. but the book says not to

ALLWAYS wear saftey glass's too when using any carb cleaner etc. !
to late i wish i would of read it before i cleaned it, i got it in my eyes a bit and it hurt. haha:eek:
thanks

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction

enough to stall it? or is it poping?

if the carb is clean, its a pilot jet issue.

call me if ya want, pm sent.

kenaroo

Reaction
can you post a video on youtube of the bike sputtering?

just a note.. I had a bad sputter on my 525 beta that we couldn't figure out.
it would sputter and stall going into the corner. then it started to stammer from 1/4 to about half throttle as well.
man I checked everything on the bike.. electrical, Main/pilot jets, cleaned carb etc.etc.

got frustrated and took it to two mechanics and they couldn't figure it out.. cost me around $200 for these so called professionals to work on it. it would run fine at the shop then when I'd take it on the trail it would sputter again.. very frustrating.

I ended up replacing the needle Jet and that fixed it.... I guess the needle wore the Jet into an oval and caused a rich condition.

a few others have stated this happened to them and had a hard time figuring it out..

part runs around $35 and it's the part jet the main jet screws into...

update:

this is what i did from what i can do from the book.

1. cleaned carb/jettings
2. cleaned spark plug
3. fixed my clutch seal leak

it is still sputtering, i am trying to do this by my self but need an idea what it can be.

i think it might be a gasket between the header and the engine or the header and exhust letting cold air in. i will do this tomorrow

some one said take off the tps and clean it. but the book says not to

to late i wish i would of read it before i cleaned it, i got it in my eyes a bit and it hurt. haha:eek:
thanks

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
!

can you post a video on youtube of the bike sputtering?

just a note.. I had a bad sputter on my 525 beta that we couldn't figure out.
it would sputter and stall going into the corner. then it started to stammer from 1/4 to about half throttle as well.
man I checked everything on the bike.. electrical, Main/pilot jets, cleaned carb etc.etc.

got frustrated and took it to two mechanics and they couldn't figure it out.. cost me around $200 for these so called professionals to work on it. it would run fine at the shop then when I'd take it on the trail it would sputter again.. very frustrating.

I ended up replacing the needle Jet and that fixed it.... I guess the needle wore the Jet into an oval and caused a rich condition.

a few others have stated this happened to them and had a hard time figuring it out..

part runs around $35 and it's the part jet the main jet screws into...
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311954
read that then i recomend a "JD " Kit
or do it yourself.