Square one... needing guidance

Adam_Brodie

Reaction
Goal: 1450/HM

TLDR: need resources/ reading material for fabricating a centermount chassis for a full size truck.

I have the cab and axle for the truck I want to build. In fact the donor is still a complete vehicle lmao. Through much debate and research, I have decided against beam suspension. This pretty much leaves me with A-arm and uprights. I want to fabricate a center mount chassis, but I know better than to just dive into it.

I know what the bulkhead is supposed to look like, I just have zero knowledge on how to get the geometry needed. Ive seem the add for the guy selling a complete kit for $7500+, but I'm trying to build it myself. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, forums, or reading material that could get me pointed in the right direction?

Thanks!

Bert is my name

Reaction
Suspension geometry is not one of those things that is just picked up. Small changes cam have significant impact on the handling of a vehicle. Beams are easier set up due to less moving parts but do some weird things at the extreme ends of the wheel path. An a arm or j arm set up requires a lot of pre planning and a s knowledge of what the desired out come will be. For a first timer I would strongly suggest buying a w.i.y. bulkhead and arm kit that is already proven. You will be time and most likely money ahead. You will be putting a significant amount of time into fixtures and jigs before you have even completed a part. Unless you have access to files for an already proven kit to send to waterjet I would not tackle this without a strong engineering background. Your life depends on this. And also the lives of others if a mistake is made. There are some books on the subject of suspension setup and design. But they are pavement oriented and require interpretation to dirt. What works on asphalt doesn't always work in the dirt.

Adam_Brodie

Reaction
I honestly had no idea that a WIY kit was available. But you're absolutely correct, small changes can have a huge impact, both with handling and safety. The only suspension experience I have is building 3 and 4 link for slowspeed offroad.

Bert is my name

Reaction
There are a few. I think brenthal/Baja kits has one and camburg also sells the kinetic setup from their trophy truck kits. Do a web search of some of the bigger names in the industry. But if you want it on a smaller budget there is nothing wrong with beams and they can do extremely well if a whoop eating play truck is all your after.

EOR1488

Reaction
I honestly had no idea that a WIY kit was available. But you're absolutely correct, small changes can have a huge impact, both with handling and safety. The only suspension experience I have is building 3 and 4 link for slowspeed offroad.

Check out DIY OffRoad. They have some cool center mount or full y frame options. Purchase the cutting files then get them cut and assemble yourself. Comes with fixtures etc. also as stated above you know ur getting a well sorted kit with good clean travel and clean steering and that’s a lot easier then trying to figure it out on ur first build. Really well priced to.