squeaky King bumps

liftman

Been lurking on here for a while and really enjoy the forums here.

Anyway I've got some King Air Bumps on my truck and one of them is squeaking like a pig and its driving me nuts.:mad:

Anyone experience this? And if so what is going on and what do I need to do to make it go away? Does it just need to be rebuilt? I tried just spraying some lube on the seal as a quick fix but no dice.

What do ya think?

Ryan B

does it ride on your a arms or rear housing at ride height? do you have bumps with delrin ends?
if so it might be aluminium rubbing under high load

if you decharge it and move it up and down by hand does it still squeak?
if so i'd pull it apart.

liftman

They do have the delrin ends. I put a pry bar in there and move it up and down and the squeak is not coming from the pads.

loufish

You didn't mention which wheel has the sound....and where the bumps are located. For instance if the front is squeaking when hitting the bump, if the bump is inboard of the shock it could be the lower control arm bushing re-acting to the bump...

The bump can act like a fulcrum, the lower arm going up the bump trying to force the inner pivots down...The shock does the same thing, BUT if the bumps mounted much closer to the LCA's pivot busings, there is much more leverage on those bushings during the bump usage....

Just a thought....:)

liftman

Good thought, and it makes sense. But this is on the front of a solid Axel dodge, sorry i forgot to mention that.

So with the truck just parked and I put a pry bar between the end of the bump and the strikepad and move the pistonin and out I can duplicate the squeak. I'm thinking maybe a seal or bushings within the bump but I don't know enough about them to know.

Is there something I can do myself or should I just send it in?

Ryan B

have they leaked? might be low on oil or no oil.
i'd take them apart. with some pretty basic tools you could do it in yourself. Then in the future when one starts leaking or something you can save some money and do it yourself.

Random Thoughts Racing

To check if its something else squeeking you can always try depressurizing the bump and pushing it to full compression.