Squeeky Brakes

MH20

RDC Crypto
Several months back I got a set of the Baker Ranger Spindles that come with Wilwood Dynalite calipers and ever since my brakes have been squeeling very badly on and off. Im not sure what pad compound he gave me, but the rotors are stock ranger 4x4 ones. Its especially bad after freeway driving. Im not talking about a small noise, but a really loud obnoxious one.

Is this normal or should I try a different pad compound? any other thoughts? I can live with it, but the girl hates it, lol.

blind655

RDC Crypto
Make sure you pads are seated on the calipers correctly. I got this stuff from NAPA called stop squeak or something to that effect. It’s like a paste you paint on the back of your pads and it helps to eliminate the vibration and squeal of brakes.

ntsqd

RDC Crypto
Do the Dynalites have the stainless wear plates in them? They'd be at the ends of the pads. Sometimes those need more arch in them to cure the rattles and squeeks..
What color are the pads ? Green paint around the edges? You want a "D" or an "E" pad for dirt/street use. The "J"s may be an option too. Those aren't green.
Did you bed the pads properly?
Wilwood was working on a squeek reducing/eliminating shim. Try calling their tech line @ 805.388.1188 and ask if it is available for the Dynalites.

The anti-squeek goop can run out onto the rotor if you ever get the pads really warm. Would only use as a last possible option.

Aftermarket calipers will nearly always squeek or rattle more than stock calipers. Those sorts of things are non-issues to a racing situation.

blind655

RDC Crypto
ntsqd said:
The anti-squeek goop can run out onto the rotor if you ever get the pads really warm. Would only use as a last possible option.
good to know.. thanks

200MPHTape

RDC Crypto
If your getting lots of squeal after freeway driving my guess is, your calipers are "sticking" a little. Getting things hot, I would check everything you did, look at the wear, are they equal? There are a ton of things that will make brakes squeal, you gave the answer when you said ,"Its especially bad after freeway driving." For some reason your caliper/s are "sticking" this is usually caused by old calipers, new ones will do it too.

MH20

RDC Crypto
ntsqd said:
Do the Dynalites have the stainless wear plates in them? They'd be at the ends of the pads. Sometimes those need more arch in them to cure the rattles and squeeks..
What color are the pads ? Green paint around the edges? You want a "D" or an "E" pad for dirt/street use. The "J"s may be an option too. Those aren't green.
Did you bed the pads properly?
Wilwood was working on a squeek reducing/eliminating shim. Try calling their tech line @ 805.388.1188 and ask if it is available for the Dynalites.

Aftermarket calipers will nearly always squeek or rattle more than stock calipers. Those sorts of things are non-issues to a racing situation.

I did bed them in as per the directions on wilwoods site. And the pads dont have any green paint around their edges, so I assume they arent "D" or "E" I assumed that there would be more noise since they are a race caliper, so Ill try those options and see what works and if it doesnt get better I can deal with it.

Do you have any recommended distributors in the San Diego area?

ntsqd

RDC Crypto
D's and E's are not green. Green are 'Gator' pads. The common pad sold in Dynalites are painted tan around the outer edges. Those aren't D's or E's either. Those are, surprisingly, the 'Tan' pads. Would replace those first it that's what you have. The steel backer of the pads will have the p/n micro-dot stamped in it. The last digit will tell you the compound.

One thing that could promote squealing would be if the calipers aren't square to the rotors. If they are square, I would inpect the anti-rattle wear pads.

MH20

RDC Crypto
Ill get some pictures of my setup on here tomorrow, but the last time I looked, everything was square and seated as it should be. They're in a 1993 4.0 ranger with the stock brake system save the calipers, could that be adding to the problem.

You keep mentioning anti-rattle clips/shims and my pads didnt come with anything like that (if i remember correctly). They looked basically like the attached picture and didnt come with anything else.

A friend of mine is also having a similar problem on the rear discs of his F150:
Just out of curiosity, did your pads come with any hardware? clips, backing plates, etc? I am reading the responses to your thread and they keep mentioning anti-rattle clips and plates.

Mine didnt come with anything. They were just sitting in the same box as the rotors. Then again, I didn't buy them seperately. They were just part of the package...

Attachments

• PolyMatrix-Box-with-pads-bw.jpg
    PolyMatrix-Box-with-pads-bw.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 135

ntsqd

RDC Crypto
They aren't attached to the pads at all. They are part of the calipers. The edges of the pad backing plates ride against them. DL's don't have the most effective design. Those on the Superlites work much better, but they don't fit the DL's.

Sites

RDC Crypto
So I am running the Superlites w/ "D" compound polymatrix pads and I am having the same problem. I've had noisy pads, but the problem I am having is much more than squeeling -- you can feel it through the truck, and people can hear it inside their cars, with the windows up, from a distance :)

I called the Wilwood rep and told him about the problem with the noise of the "D" compound that I was running, and he said that he had never heard that before. He recommended the "Q" compound, which is the quietest compound they make. After looking at the "Q" description on their website, it states that it is for "show vehicles" with improved braking performance over stock. I know that Im not doing much breaking with the rear of the truck, but sounds like they may be a little weak for the weight of the vehicle they are going on.

Regardless, I am going to hit the rotors and pads with the sand paper and see if being glazed (not sure if they are) may be the cause.

MH20

RDC Crypto
Yeah, the people hearing it inside their cars (from a distance) with the windows rolled up is what is happening to me too.

I pulled them off yesterday and I am also running the "D" compound.

Maybe we got a bad batch of pads?? When did you get your rearend Andy? About September?