• Forum membership has its advantages....

STADIUM RACING

mobben

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR ALL OFF-ROAD FANS OUT THERE. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO MICKY THOMPSON STADIUM RACING? DID IT HAVE TO DIE WHEN MICKY DIED? WHY CAN'T ANY PROMOTER PUT TOGETHER A SUCCESSFUL SERIES? IS IT LACK OF SPONSER DOLLARS? I THINK A SERIES PUT TOGETHER RIGHT WITH THE PROPER CLASSES COULD DO VERY WELL. I'VE HEARD ABOUT THIS PRO STADIUM TRUCK AND POSSIBLE SERIES, BUT I'VE SEEN THE TRUCK AND WAS NOT IMPRESSED. CAN ANYONE PUT TOGETHER A STADIUM SERIES THAT WORKS?????

scott

Pace tried to take off where Mickey left off, for a couple of years, but they lost money and went belly up. By the way, I saw Mickey Thompson's business partner was in jail facing sentencing, and their saying he could get 2 life sentences if convicted.... Any News, I haven't heard anything since that, and that was a while ago.....

Chris_Wilson

They might need to convict him first.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
There is a successful stadium offroad racing series, and it is held in Australia, the World HeadQuarters for Stadium Racing.

MTEG went out of business when the manufacturers like Toyota pulled out, NOT when Mickey Thompsen died. PACE/SFX tried their stadium US Offroad Series for about two years, before closing the series. PACE did not go belly up. It was bought by SFX. Ivan-Truck tried to sanction a stadium series for the Pro Trucks, and only managed to get one event off the ground, which had few entries and few sponsor support. The TV show of that one race was embarassing. The reasons why there is no stadium series? There is no sponsor support, no manufacturer support, no fan support in the stands, not enough quality entries to put on a good show, and no promoter willing to invest several million dollars to try to resurrect it. Stadium racing was nice while it lasted, but like all things it has had its time in the sun. Anyway, we have monster trucks to watch on TV now.!

If you didn't see it on TV, did it really happen?