1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

Stage 9 Loeb rolls?

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by spalind, Jul 17, 2017.

1. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Twitter from 6 hours ago...rolled, stopped, mechanical issues...will try to find more details...this would put Bryce in second I would think...

2. spalind

This is correct...Loeb rolled the car at km 84, Peterhansel stopped but could not render assistance. It was 2 1/2 hours before he was able to restart. Loeb stopped again at km 161. Depres takes over the lead...but Bryce does NOT take over second....looks like he had a rough day, finishing 20+ minutes back of Depres on the day which allows Wei Han and his Geely SMG Buggy to take second overall. Bryce is now 7 minutes back of second and 51 minutes back of the lead. Christian Lavielle is only 1 minute behind Bryce in his Baicmotor BJ40L.

The Chinese manufacturers and racers have come a long way in the past few years and appear to be squarely in that second tier of contenders.

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  3. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

Anything can happen in Rally raid!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

4. spalind

Yup! Never give up, keep fighting...that's part of what makes Rally Raid great!

5. spalind

Bryce reports two flats and got lost as reasons for his slower than expected time

6. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

Im on my phone but this link shows the crash

7. Dirty Harry

I actually didn't think that the in cab looked that gnarly but it definitely tore up the car. It takes a LOT for Peugeot to retire a car!

Such a pity because Loeb didn't have to open a route for the rest of the race, he could follow the leaders and lose a couple minutes each day and it wouldn't be a big deal. But I suppose that is not in his nature. I'm sure that he and Daniel Elena still learned a lot at the Silk Way!

8. Mark Newhan

Mark Newhan Well-Known Member

They could learn something else from us American racers. It's not always about being light weight. The tubing in that area looks to be .065. Stress analysis would tell you that it's good in normal circumstances, however the frequency and load of an event of that magnitude can't be measured properly to insure against a catastrophic failure like that

9. SteveRacer

SteveRacer Well-Known Member

10. Dirty Harry

They are running on the ragged edge to stay at the minimum weight for the car. The Peugeot team has scores of engineers in crisp white shirts evaluating the data at the end of each day. It wouldn't surprise me if they consider the bulk head a wear item.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

11. GEO_DXB

GEO_DXB Well-Known Member

hits a hole, injures wrist, gets massive penalties, does not want to finish low in the standings... A bit like Nasser in Abu Dhabi this year although Al Attyiah had massive vehicle damage. An Overdrive Yota also rolled in China and completely lost the rear end. Seems they go against the flow of the sand and cant see much bumps/holes while terrain looks flat but in reality isnt. People complain about terrible food in Chinese bivouac.

12. Dirty Harry

What did Loeb get massive penalties for? Did he get the clap and break his spurgleten also?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

(+3) 3 people like this.
  13. GEO_DXB

GEO_DXB Well-Known Member

Arriving at the bivouac at around midnight...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted