• Forum membership has its advantages....

Stand alone AC

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I think read or noticed Andys new AWD mason TT has an AC unit and I know Kartmans LS powered bronco that's for sale in the classifieds has a Red Dot AC.

Anyone know much about the units and configuration? Are they similar just a little smaller then a ductless roof top AC on an RV?

I have a 4runner project / prerunner that I removed the AC system from because the condenser was damaged so the unit lost all Freon and lubrication. I have debated rebuilding the entire system but then I saw Kartmans in his add and heard about andys. I looked at red dot website and it seem like a viable option for what I want to do but curious if they are 100% standalone and how decent they actually work.

anyone with some knowledge?

mfs

im not a expert but i do know quite a bit about how a/c systems work, i think the one you are looking at is The Red Dot R-6260-1P Rooftop Mount A/C Condenser? ( it says: Note: Condenser Only not a complete A/C Unit) so you would have to use your stock engine mounted a/c compressor and what ever parts to make it work, run a/c lines charge it etc. rv ones that are stand alone use 120v and draw a lot of power takes a pretty big gennie to start one. a 12v ran compressor is possible it would draw lots of current i have not seen any that are 12v stand alone. fixing you condenser and charging up you a/c system should not be too hard some new o-rings etc. toyotas have great a/c's.

Hotrodders have been putting stand alone AC in cars for a long time. I've looked at these units before, pretty cool.
Custom Hot Rod A/C Systems for Vintage Cars, Hot Rods...
while I have no doubt this would work....for a little while.....i'd be surprised if they could go the distance in a race. aside from that, with open windows how much cooling do you really expect to gain?

i'd be looking at a cool suit option. seen a bunch of them lately, basically a container of iced water to circulate through a vest. you would probably have to re-load it with ice at each pit stop.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Walker Evans tried to run a/c with factory backing, didn't last long.

What do Dakar vehicles use?

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I contacted RedDOT and thy gave me spec sheets on the E-6100 and R-1215

I’ll attach the brochures if I can figure it out. But essentially standalone 12v systems that draw 60-100 amps. Is that a lot?

This is not for a race vehicle but would be used on race courses and tougher terrain but mostly trails and also daily driver.

mfs

those are not "stand alone" its just a aftermarket a/c system that is just like a oem system it just lets you do a custom install for custom dash etc, still uses a engine driven compressor, you have lines run and freon charged up.

Hotrodders have been putting stand alone AC in cars for a long time. I've looked at these units before, pretty cool.
Custom Hot Rod A/C Systems for Vintage Cars, Hot Rods...

mfs

yea post it if you can i would like to see it. heck yea thats alot of amps! that's like running your starter with no load on it, imagine running your starter constantly.

I contacted RedDOT and thy gave me spec sheets on the E-6100 and R-1215

I’ll attach the brochures if I can figure it out. But essentially standalone 12v systems that draw 60-100 amps. Is that a lot?

This is not for a race vehicle but would be used on race courses and tougher terrain but mostly trails and also daily driver.

Last edited:

mfs

yea those are self-contained, pretty cool, you going to mount that on your roof? i think you would definitely need a high output alt and dual battery to run that. how much does it cost?

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
yea those are self-contained, pretty cool, you going to mount that on your roof? i think you would definitely need a high output alt and dual battery to run that. how much does it cost?
Yeah that was already the plan. Dial
Batteries and I looked for a high output alternator. I’d also run it on the roof and build a rack around it. Probably put it where my sunroof was.

Cost is the unknown at the moment. I sent a rfq to the distributor but haven’t heard back yet

isdtbower

Options that sometimes you have to take. Whatever makes Momma happy. If it fits, it ships.

Add $800ish for the alternator and a HD regulator..