• Forum membership has its advantages....

Stand alone AC

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I think read or noticed Andys new AWD mason TT has an AC unit and I know Kartmans LS powered bronco that's for sale in the classifieds has a Red Dot AC.

Anyone know much about the units and configuration? Are they similar just a little smaller then a ductless roof top AC on an RV?

I have a 4runner project / prerunner that I removed the AC system from because the condenser was damaged so the unit lost all Freon and lubrication. I have debated rebuilding the entire system but then I saw Kartmans in his add and heard about andys. I looked at red dot website and it seem like a viable option for what I want to do but curious if they are 100% standalone and how decent they actually work.

anyone with some knowledge?

mfs

im not a expert but i do know quite a bit about how a/c systems work, i think the one you are looking at is The Red Dot R-6260-1P Rooftop Mount A/C Condenser? ( it says: Note: Condenser Only not a complete A/C Unit) so you would have to use your stock engine mounted a/c compressor and what ever parts to make it work, run a/c lines charge it etc. rv ones that are stand alone use 120v and draw a lot of power takes a pretty big gennie to start one. a 12v ran compressor is possible it would draw lots of current i have not seen any that are 12v stand alone. fixing you condenser and charging up you a/c system should not be too hard some new o-rings etc. toyotas have great a/c's.

dzrt performance

Hotrodders have been putting stand alone AC in cars for a long time. I've looked at these units before, pretty cool.
Custom Hot Rod A/C Systems for Vintage Cars, Hot Rods...
while I have no doubt this would work....for a little while.....i'd be surprised if they could go the distance in a race. aside from that, with open windows how much cooling do you really expect to gain?

i'd be looking at a cool suit option. seen a bunch of them lately, basically a container of iced water to circulate through a vest. you would probably have to re-load it with ice at each pit stop.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Walker Evans tried to run a/c with factory backing, didn't last long.

What do Dakar vehicles use?

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I contacted RedDOT and thy gave me spec sheets on the E-6100 and R-1215

I’ll attach the brochures if I can figure it out. But essentially standalone 12v systems that draw 60-100 amps. Is that a lot?

This is not for a race vehicle but would be used on race courses and tougher terrain but mostly trails and also daily driver.

mfs

those are not "stand alone" its just a aftermarket a/c system that is just like a oem system it just lets you do a custom install for custom dash etc, still uses a engine driven compressor, you have lines run and freon charged up.

Hotrodders have been putting stand alone AC in cars for a long time. I've looked at these units before, pretty cool.
Custom Hot Rod A/C Systems for Vintage Cars, Hot Rods...

mfs

yea post it if you can i would like to see it. heck yea thats alot of amps! that's like running your starter with no load on it, imagine running your starter constantly.

I contacted RedDOT and thy gave me spec sheets on the E-6100 and R-1215

I’ll attach the brochures if I can figure it out. But essentially standalone 12v systems that draw 60-100 amps. Is that a lot?

This is not for a race vehicle but would be used on race courses and tougher terrain but mostly trails and also daily driver.

Last edited:

mfs

yea those are self-contained, pretty cool, you going to mount that on your roof? i think you would definitely need a high output alt and dual battery to run that. how much does it cost?

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
yea those are self-contained, pretty cool, you going to mount that on your roof? i think you would definitely need a high output alt and dual battery to run that. how much does it cost?
Yeah that was already the plan. Dial
Batteries and I looked for a high output alternator. I’d also run it on the roof and build a rack around it. Probably put it where my sunroof was.

Cost is the unknown at the moment. I sent a rfq to the distributor but haven’t heard back yet

mgobaja

Second alternator, just for that, it could also double as a back up alternator should the need arise

isdtbower

Options that sometimes you have to take. Whatever makes Momma happy. If it fits, it ships.

Add $800ish for the alternator and a HD regulator..

Bert is my name

I think the rear a.c. package out of a Tahoe or expedition would work well in a center console. They are made for an area that is larger than a pickup cab. So. There you go

Bert is my name

Yes. I've dealt with them in armored Vans. I don't like them. They leak. And when they do its proprietary. I would try to get a rear a.c. unit out of a suburban or some other dual zone a.c. equipped s.u.v.
Makes parts cheap and accessible. Custom made hoses have their own issues when it comes to a.c.
Freon isn't getting any cheaper. In my experience trying to get this kind of crap to work costs. I would rather take a factory built unit that uses standardized parts and build a console to hide it than mess around with some china junk that is built for a bastardized retrofit.

F.y.i. propane is a great refrigerant for "testing purposes only" buy the blue bottles.