Starlink

Dustino81

RDC Crypto
So, I took a Starlink system to Baja, Absolute game changer for information access, comms, race tracking, any team should seriously be adding this to their chase and comms system.
We literally mounted a system on a toolbox deck between tires and cab, had mobile web access for 3 users via wifi from Diablo to Valle T to Ojos, all mobile.
Biggest issue I had was my Ford inverter plug not holding the power source.
But if you are serious about chasing and information, comms via internet, this solves all your problems in Baja.
Now for a antenna mount, I hope my buddy at Bullet Proof Diesel gets on it.View attachment 245834
What size inverter are you using ?

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
This is awesome, except one thing. How is it working while in motion? As far as I know the FCC has not permitted starlink to work on moving vehicles yet?

But it’s awesome. First musk gives me a tesla so I haven’t had ti pay these insane gas prices, now he gives starlink for the chase truck. Perfecttt!

—John

Advertising supports this site

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
And I had to post this :)

IMG_4299.jpg

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
This is awesome, except one thing. How is it working while in motion? As far as I know the FCC has not permitted starlink to work on moving vehicles yet?

But it’s awesome. First musk gives me a tesla so I haven’t had ti pay these insane gas prices, now he gives starlink for the chase truck. Perfecttt!

—John
Ours would track in motion, once we moved around for a few minutes it would revert to flat panel setting but still give signal.

Argentino

RDC Crypto

—John
The first rule of this club is that we don't talk about this club. If you are asked to stop, YOU STOP! That is the understood rule.

When I asked about some antenna ideas, that was the answer. And when they say STOP, they mean it.

RSharp

RDC Crypto

—John
Mexico seems to be fair game for in motion use unless I missed it!

Mexico Service Terms: Starlink
US Agreement: Starlink

Speeds varied last weekend while in motion and there were occasional dropouts of a couple seconds but it was definitely useable. This speed test was on highway 3 at about 50mph if I remember correctly.
IMG_5466.jpg
IMG_5441.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5467.jpg
    IMG_5467.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Will a starlink survive being in a car that is being driven at race pace vs someone on a sunday stroll?
Should survive without much problem.

The biggest battle will be having the circuit board and electronics survive the vibrations but rubber isolated mounts can help with that if it ever becomes a problem.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Just ordered a setup, tempted to mount it to the top of our 6013 Trophylite and stream all of Baja Nevada.....

--John
Do it! Mount it flat and under the roof. Be sure the roof is NOT carbon fiber as that will block the signal.

Chris_Wilson

RDC Crypto
I have starlink but new to it. When mounting this on your vehicle, how do you keep the leg from wanting to move around?
Like the setup on the 7 truck at the 500, wouldn't the leg stick through the roof and move around? Or do you "stow" it but it still works stowed as long as its flat toward sky?

Also, if you buy a second setup then cancel the service but keep the equipment you paid for, can you use either antenna with the original receiver?
For example one antenna mounted on house, and a second antenna used for mobile and just move the little receiver?
Like we do for Directv (dish on 3 homes + RV but one receiver/account for the 4 dishes so we just move the receiver with us)?

Last edited:

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I have starlink but new to it. When mounting this on your vehicle, how do you keep the leg from wanting to move around?
Like the setup on the 7 truck at the 500, wouldn't the leg stick through the roof and move around? Or do you "stow" it but it still works stowed as long as its flat toward sky?

Also, if you buy a second setup then cancel the service but keep the equipment you paid for, can you use either antenna with the original receiver?
For example one antenna mounted on house, and a second antenna used for mobile and just move the little receiver? Like we do for Directv (dish on 3 homes + RV but one account)?
Remove the leg.

Yes, can mount them flat,

Unsure of if you can swap hardware under one subscription. Hopefully, someone else can chime in.

RSharp

RDC Crypto

For example one antenna mounted on house, and a second antenna used for mobile and just move the little receiver?
Like we do for Directv (dish on 3 homes + RV but one receiver/account for the 4 dishes so we just move the receiver with us)?
You can use a pipe cutter to remove most of the pole however it will still try to rotate and tilt the stub that is left over. You can also drill a hole in the plastic housing and disconnect the motors but then you’ll need to seal up that hole to keep water and dust out.

If you are committed, I think the best way to truck mount the antenna is to cut the whole back off and flat mount it.