starter or battery problem

BigD

i need a bit of help. my trucks been havin trouble startin lately and im tryin to figure out if its the battery or starter or possibly the alternator. the trucks only got 30k miles on it. when i go to start it, sometimes it fires right up, other times it wont even turn over, but if i keep tryin eventually starts. sometimes its completely dead. i thought it was dirty terminals so i cleaned em with sandpaper. do i just need a new battey or is it possibly the starter. any ideas would be great. thanks. sorry for the mechanical retardation...

PBR

it sounds to me like a possible bad connection either between your battery and your starter, or between the starter and the ign switch. or it could be a bad ground on the motor. just a few ideas, good luck...

Travisfab

Kragen or pep boys will test the starter/alternator/battery for free. You can figure it out that easily

jeff

I had my "heavy duty service group" battery go belly up in my Dodge a few months ago. The truck is a 2000 and it just started to poop out when I'd start it and then it would die at idle, perfect in Orange County traffic. I took it to Dodge and they said the battery wasn't covered and that I'd be better off just buying a new one. The "heavy duty" battery in my truck was called a "f'ing piece of S" by the service writer at the dealership and that's all I needed to hear. I pirated the Optima from my Bronco and it's been fine every since. I agree with the others... get the battery tested at your local parts store and then work from there.

Aloha

BigD

ended up bein the battery. took her into kragen and they tested it. got a new one today. works like a champ. thanks for the input.