Starting in Desert Racing

Tornavacca

Reaction
I am 16 and I want to get into desert racing. I don't know where to start so I was wondering if anyone knows where I could start?

QurtysLyn

Reaction
Come out to a BOR Race, next one is May 8th in Vernal, UT. It's a good race to watch, and you're welcome to hang out in our pit (936) and I can answer any questions you have.

Best place to start is by going to races and getting a feel for it, then get yourself a limited car and start racing. I suggest a Class 9 Buggy (because that's what we race), but there are other good limited classes to start in.

J Prich

Reaction
Find some local teams to try to connect with. There is a 6100 team with a great group of guys that post here a lot, just across SLC from you...

Tornavacca

Reaction
Come out to a BOR Race, next one is May 8th in Vernal, UT. It's a good race to watch, and you're welcome to hang out in our pit (936) and I can answer any questions you have.

Best place to start is by going to races and getting a feel for it, then get yourself a limited car and start racing. I suggest a Class 9 Buggy (because that's what we race), but there are other good limited classes to start in.
Is there any way I could contact you to talk about it more?

mxben

Reaction
I say get a motorcycle and figure out how to ride that first.
Then figure out how to ride the desert and read terrain.
Then race a local desert race.
Five years goes by... then you start looking at your finances.
You realize you can only afford to race a UTV. Race that UTV.
Break poop and find out how much it costs to find out you suck at this sport.
Continue to break poop and pay out the ass because now your hooked.

Tube ride

Reaction

This is the best way to learn racing , offers like this are where it all begins . Get your stuff ready and go to vernal and ask questions and you will see what it takes. All the race organizers need volunteers so go watch a race a watch the volunteers and see how you can fit in.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Find a woman that loves to see you happy at any cost....and wants to sponsor you cheer for you and make delicious sandwiches
Or you could capture a Unicorn and mine it for farts that will replace electricity and power the World, that might be easier to do, make you rich, and allow you to race whatever where ever whenever you want.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I say get a motorcycle and figure out how to ride that first.
Then figure out how to ride the desert and read terrain.
Then race a local desert race.
Five years goes by... then you start looking at your finances.
You realize you can only afford to race a UTV. Race that UTV.
Break poop and find out how much it costs to find out you suck at this sport.
Continue to break poop and pay out the ass because now your hooked.
motorcycle racing teaches you to pick lines and how to deal with traction control/sliding. almost all the greats in desert racing started on bikes. I still race bikes, because it's the most economical.

Tube ride

Reaction
8FA0ADA5-B305-457E-91E8-6C1958DB5FD5.png
This was the traction control I learned motorcycle racing

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I am 16 and I want to get into desert racing. I don't know where to start so I was wondering if anyone knows where I could start?
Go to the races.

Ask many curious questions and stick with the people that give you the best answers with a smile

Soon after you will see your passion engulf and the opportunity emerges shortly after.

Then go after it.

You are already starting out well by asking here in our forum.

E.Hagle

Reaction
Fishing is way more affordable.

Find a way to get a down payment for a UTV. By the time you're 18 after hanging around maybe you'll acquire some mechanical skills and build a decent set of tools.
You'll need a truck and a decent trailer and a group of friends that are equally crazy to co-ride with you and to chase for you.

You should really consider fly fishing though.