starting out in desert racing

xnoregretsx

Reaction
i want to start racing competitively but i have some questions.
Obviously you cant expect to start out driving million dollar machines, so with that being said i was thinking about class 7 or class 8. i have driving experience i just would like to hear about how all of you racers got started and hopefully somebody can help me get on the right track.
thanks

shooei

Reaction
Stats will help no doubt, but nothing replaces the good ol' "hands on" approach. Just do it:)

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Start with a buggy. Some of the classes are pretty cheap to buy a used race buggy for. There are a TON of 9 cars with a few 11's and some very reasonable 5/1600 as well right here on RDC.....The less horsepower you can use to go fast the cheaper it is....well kind of........If your budget can afford it there are some great 12 cars for sale on RDC also!

Anything that you can learn to do most of the prep on and has a relatively cheap engine is a good way to start....

An 8 truck if it is properly built is a trophy truck with a frame.....Very expensive to run and prep.......

If your talking 7 as in 7 open that isn't much cheaper if you want to be competitive.......I know a few people who happen to race
7SX and I don't think it is what they would call cheap........No racing is ever cheap.....It's all about the addiction that drives the complete loss of money for the high of racing.......

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Buggy Dorks rule.:D

Whatever you can afford. Just Do It.....:cool:

Trey, DID YOU BUY THAT BUGGY OR WHAT?????

What class you gonna race?

Leave it alone and run sportsman????

C'mon man spill the beans you BIG BUGGY DORK!!! DID you go out and get yourself a dune hopper????

harleys dad

Reaction
Class 11, you cannot get any cheaper, and the competition is fantastic. I started when I was 14 years old, and 33 years later I still love to drive them. No other class teaches terrain reading like class 11, the class is hands down the fan favorite and is a fantastic way to get started. I can get out of my 1600 car and have just as much fun in the stock VW, the ride is fantastic, and built rite are very easy on your wallet. Last race 14 cars raced for over 5 grand for 1st, and will happen again at a few select races in the Snore Series. The class is steadily growing, next year look for 20 or more per race in Snore. I know 8 people building new cars for next year, get on board. Go to class11coalition and read about the class and all the people involved.

mrmatt

Reaction
Start with a buggy. Some of the classes are pretty cheap to buy a used race buggy for. There are a TON of 9 cars with a few 11's and some very reasonable 5/1600 as well right here on RDC.....The less horsepower you can use to go fast the cheaper it is....well kind of........If your budget can afford it there are some great 12 cars for sale on RDC also!

Anything that you can learn to do most of the prep on and has a relatively cheap engine is a good way to start....

An 8 truck if it is properly built is a trophy truck with a frame.....Very expensive to run and prep.......

If your talking 7 as in 7 open that isn't much cheaper if you want to be competitive.......I know a few people who happen to race
7SX and I don't think it is what they would call cheap........No racing is ever cheap.....It's all about the addiction that drives the complete loss of money for the high of racing.......

Very wise words. No racing is cheap but bang for your buck class 9 is a great class to run, learn and see some awesome competion. One thing to keep in mind is what is your definition of a budget? I know my definition of budget is far different from Robby Gordons.

Ibeamford

Reaction
So you completely explained my problem. One, I did'nt start out in a cheap buggy, but went right to a truck that really is a unlimited frame railed money pit. Two, I'm addicted to unlimited suspension and speed now and am afraid to go limited. Three, I can't afford a trophy truck. Four, my truck doesn't fit class 8 or 7. Its a v-8 ranger, oh well lesson learned.

p.s. Did I mention I love this stuff LOL

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Trey, DID YOU BUY THAT BUGGY OR WHAT?????

What class you gonna race?

Leave it alone and run sportsman????

C'mon man spill the beans you BIG BUGGY DORK!!! DID you go out and get yourself a dune hopper????

Bought the car buddy. Prepping it for the 1K prerun. Need to get the bugs out, what better place then Baja to test it. Will race sportsman until I get the new motor built. Then Class 12. And no I don't do dune hoppers, nasty rough desert is the only way to go.:p

371225592_DnXB8-M.jpg

Sorry for the hijack but I was in your place a few months ago. And made my decision to go this route. As I said go with what you can afford and what you want to race. Either way get out there and do it.

Last edited:

PT9Baja

Reaction
Move to the Southwest if your not already there, get a good job and a good car, go to every race and get to know whats going on. Pick a class and let everyone in it know your interested in helping a team. If I were 20 instead of older than some rocks thats what I would do.

mawtrophykart

Reaction
i want to start racing competitively but i have some questions.
Obviously you cant expect to start out driving million dollar machines, so with that being said i was thinking about class 7 or class 8. i have driving experience i just would like to hear about how all of you racers got started and hopefully somebody can help me get on the right track.
thanks
A good start would be to buy a used 1/2 1600-Most of your top racers today started there. Its semi economical and theres always a huge class. Overall they are faster than protrucks at 1/5 of the price. You will beat most of the 12 cars as well as all the 5/1600 8,9 and 11 .Your race gets finished Quicker with less wear and tear on your body. Class 7 and 8 beat the hell out of you! There very easy to work on also. good luck

PT9Baja

Reaction
Move to the Southwest if your not already there, get a good job and a good car, go to every race and get to know whats going on. Pick a class and let everyone in it know your interested in helping a team. If I were 20 instead of older than some rocks thats what I would do.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
One other thought, before you get out there and race. Get involved with a racing team to get an idea what you are getting into. Also volunteer to help out at the races. The info you get will help you not only help with your effort but give you an idea at what it takes to actually race. It's not all about jumping in a car and driving, it's mostly about the support you have behind you that makes it work.

Dzrtcj7

Reaction
You don't have to live down south, you just have to be passionate about what you want. Our team is a grass roots effort. And we are admittedly nuts. But we are four guys that met each other in a local jeep club. Then pitted for a stock class truck for a season to learn the ropes, mind you driving over 2000 miles each race on our own dime. Then, put our money together, formed an LLC and bought a truck. Now we are fully living the dream. We've got a great truck, assembled an awesome crew that are just as nuts as we are, and have got some solid sponsors backing us up. Check out our website at http://www.rumblegoatracing.com. Register on the forum and ask away. Any of us would be more than happy to answer any questions. Hell, meet us in Mesquite in 2 weeks and we'll put you to work on the crew for a weekend.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
One other thought, before you get out there and race. Get involved with a racing team to get an idea what you are getting into. Also volunteer to help out at the races. The info you get will help you not only help with your effort but give you an idea at what it takes to actually race. It's not all about jumping in a car and driving, it's mostly about the support you have behind you that makes it work.

x2 on this one. Good advice Trey