starting out in off-road racing

Tony_Barraza

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Martin-

Yeah, I've been flatbed scanning the images I've posted.

As for the issues with the cars you mentioned, I'm positive I have the T-Mag 11, Rob Mac's prerunner, and the Arciero feature. Let me know what you need, and Id be happy to share with you.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Some great stuff!

<font color="yellow">To Kenny and everyone else</font color> - Sorry for hijacking the thread from its original discussion.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled prgramming....

bpthirteen

RDC Crypto
Website
www.bajahq.com
Martin, I thought Stan Gable drove the Hay Hauler that year at the Mint when it finished 3rd overall. Is Max really getting out soon? I thought he was doing life.

martininsocal

RDC Crypto
BP- I think it was one of the Class 6 guys who flew the thing, was it Stan Gilbert? Jim Pateli should know who it was. Tony- I have those issues, but no flat bed scanner
frown.gif
so I just have to look at the pictures. It is funny how many racers came out of that area in the hey day, Rod Hall, Jim Fricker, The Minors, Venable, etc... One of my buddies grew up around there and said it was cool to see those guys racing their jeeps around the river bed before organized stuff started. They all had fun until Minor started spending the big bucks so he would always win! Is there anyone old enough here(I am not) that actually spent time at Halls Gas Station? Was it Chevron? Heard it always had cool stuff in the bays.

martininsocal

RDC Crypto
BP- after readingit again, I think you got 2 guys me=ixed together. John "Clark" Gable raced a class 8 Ford of his own(hasn't he recently been driving some other trucks?), Stan Gilbert had the Class 6 Chevelle(Propane powered?) but got the ride in the hay hauler.

globalhub

RDC Crypto
I get asked this question all the time, I want to start racing off-road what class should I start out in? here is the answer that I give them. get a 2-1600 car a used one runs $12,000 to $20,000. it's the most competitive class in off road and the fastest you can go for the least amount of $$$ . some times I get this answer back, I want to drive a truck. I just tell them to get a taste of racing without spending a lot of $$$ do the 1600 first, then get a truck if you still want one. tell me what everyone thinks the best class to start racing in. be realistic

What do you mean when you put a 2-1600 or a 5-1600?

RDC Crypto
What do you mean when you put a 2-1600 or a 5-1600?

1/2-1600 Refers, in general, to the 1600 Class. It is a class where you can go single seater, or 2 seater.
Therefore, when saying 2-1600, he is refering to a 2 seater 1600 Class car.

5-1600 is usually called a "Baja Bug" (Do not mistake them with the 5 Open/5 Unlimited Class)

12LaPaz

RDC Crypto
There is no better bang for the buck then a 1-2/1600, they are fast, nimble & very fun to drive. I have raced 1/1600, class 5, class 5/1600, class 1 & class 8. The 1600 car class is by far the most cost effective.

RDC Crypto
I'm sure the 1600 class is the best bang for your buck. Lots of entries, good speed, good suspension, light car, etc.
But I won't catalog it as a beginers/entry class. I'll go for a Class 9 car. 1600 can double the cost of running and maintaining a C9 car. And with time, you get to learn gow to run fast a C9 car. Specially over whoops, silk, etc.

LAPoliceGear.com

RDC Crypto
Just don't do what I did - turn stock Raptors into race/prerunner trucks. For the same money I could have bought a brand new 6100 truck. But I can't go back in time. I got the bug to finally race after watching V2R trucks pass by near Tonopah, NV. I had a new Raptor but ended up 4-linking it because I kept breaking the stock parts. From there it was a small step to make it race legal. I did a few races in the LA Police Gear Raptor and needed more speed so I asked H&M to build me a 6100 truck. I have been happy with it in testing outside of de-bugging little things. Wow is it fast and shrugs off hard hits like they are nothing.

What I have learned in the last 2 or 3 years:
#1) RACING IS NOT CHEAP. You will most likely spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on it.
#2) Racing is almost a full-time job (between prep and keeping everything on track).
#3) Racing can be FULL of disappointments (missed deadlines from suppliers, mechanical failures, and lots of human errors).
#4) Nothing is as fun as going balls out on a closed race course.
#5) Few things are as scary as going 80 mph in dust with about 10 feet of visibility (and that is coming form an ex-cop who saw lots of scary poop).
#6) Any liquids touching your headers will result in a fire (learn to be fast at putting out fires).
#7) If there is a group of people standing at a random spot out in the desert that means there is a hidden G-out or jump you are about to hit.
#8) If camping at the pits don't expect to get sleep the night before the race because someone is always testing their engine at 3 am (who the fock are you? Go to sleep dammit! I am talking to you Barstow and Ridgecrest people!).
#9) Racers are good people who help each other out at races. I am amazed to see competing teams help each other in various ways. Much respect to all those who show great sportsmanship!
#10) Expect to get nerf'd hard at some point when someone going too fast in dust nails you from behind.
#11) Don't drive too slow in heavy dust or you will get nerf'd get from behind really hard.
#12) You will be breaking a lot of expensive parts on your race vehicle (did I mention racing is expensive?)
#13) Expect HUGE delays in getting parts. Plan ahead and order spare parts MONTHS in advance.
#14) If you don't finish the race you have zero chance of winning. Trying to conserve your vehicle.
#15) Get used to wearing a urine cath. Not having one sucks. And make sure to tape it on. A cath blowing off from too strong of a stream is no fun (but don't use duct tape for the love of God!).
#16) Don't tell your wife what you spend on racing. She will not be happy.
#17) Don't drink lots of coffee before racing. Your urine cath may not be able to handle the flow (coffee piss) and blow off your penis results in you sitting in urine for 3 hrs.
#18) I have done a lot of things in life (swat, pursuits, skydiving, competition shooting, business, etc) and few things are as rad as going balls out in the desert! Nothing beats the roar of a V8 in the desert!
#19) You will need lots of friends to help you.
#20) RACING IS REALLY EXPENSIVE (Buy a Polaris RZR if you can't afford to race. They are a lot of fun)!

Now I forgot what this thread is even about...

GBRACER

RDC Crypto
I have raced a sportsman buggy for 10+ years, had a rotary in it and a 6rib, was fast as hell and cheap tp run, the trouble was most classes exclude the engine so I raced Sportsman. We now run a 5-1600 in Baja for the last 7 years, EXPENSIVE!!!!! and I feel like a stuffed ham in a tin can, slow and feel like they are going to fall over, don't give you much confidence in the corners. For the beginner to stick to a class a 1/2-1600 car would be the way to go, car count really makes for more fun, I ran with 3 cars lots of times and it sucks, Yay I won againt myself again!!!!
If they could only eliminate CV"s

5racer

RDC Crypto
As to what car to race and get the best bang for the buck is 1600, As to what car to drive to make you a better driver is class 5 .If you can master a class 5 you can drive them all .

5racer

RDC Crypto
BP- I think it was one of the Class 6 guys who flew the thing, was it Stan Gilbert? Jim Pateli should know who it was. Tony- I have those issues, but no flat bed scanner
frown.gif
so I just have to look at the pictures. It is funny how many racers came out of that area in the hey day, Rod Hall, Jim Fricker, The Minors, Venable, etc... One of my buddies grew up around there and said it was cool to see those guys racing their jeeps around the river bed before organized stuff started. They all had fun until Minor started spending the big bucks so he would always win! Is there anyone old enough here(I am not) that actually spent time at Halls Gas Station? Was it Chevron? Heard it always had cool stuff in the bays.

Not old enough but my dad was he grew up with those guys there were many places to hang out at that era that had many cool race cars other than sand and dirt ,there some pretty fast road racing guys and drag racing also lots of motor cycle racers ,I grew up with there kids and related to a few that your talking about ,and sometimes we still bomb the river bed .and Larry didn't always win he had to work at it very hard .