State of the Union

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
Reaction
The unemployment rate was at a low until the Dem's won control of both Houses of the Legislature in 2006. Now it is starting to get ugly!
I am watching the stock market make me money and the last year has been better than ever for me. Of course I am in smart "stuff" for the time...
Most of what you here about the stock market is that the Professionals have built into the prices of a Dem in office 2009, to make it a full house. If that happens, I will be doing better!:eek: I am a realist you can say:rolleyes:

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
I heard 90% of journalists are Liberal but most of the Editors are Conservatives. From an unbiased Government class...

83% of statistics are made up on the spot.:D

How is any class unbiased may I ask?

Mary Kay

PRINCESS
Reaction
You failed to mention how this "bad economy" is affecting you. Please do EXPOUND on this, I mean really, you made the statement, now back er up:cool:

And maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I think our public servants and leaders should be held to a higher set of standards. President Clinton clearly showed us why frivilous lawsuits are around, obviously his actions were "sexual relations" with that woman. What a kook he is and was, and in MHO, anyone who still supoorts him is too.

you called me on the carpet for not getting involved so i did...i gave people things to think about...which produced a lot great post from different point of views

i have stated earlier that my post were food for thought not my beliefs, which i am more then willing to act on when i vote for who I think is the best person!

i can pm you my 2007 tax forms if it makes you feel better. i do know that when i go to the store or fill up my gas tank the dollar buys me less then ever before:(

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
Reaction
A vote for John McCain is a vote for old school liberal politics. Remember he successfully passed a bill that restricts free speech. GW wussed out and should have vetoed it but assumed the supreme court would not rule against the constitution, he was wrong.

We are shooting our selves in the foot with our free speech each time you do a search on most computer search engines, mainly the big one I forget the name:D They have saved every single search since inception in the dorm room. This to build profiles and make the computers work for them. They were able to get excluded from being prevented of saving these on the bases they are a ISP. One day this will put many intellectual personal in unemployment lines. And some unfortunate Businesses out of business, not to mention the loss of our Liberties (ouch)! Sounds like a big brother conspiracy. This Blog can build profiles and track individuals (Klaus is that you;) )...

mustafa

Reaction
Very simple answer, but not so obvious to someone who lives so far away from the southern border....ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!!!!
Employers are not verifying social security numbers, false IDs and ID theft runs rampant. Enforce immigration laws that are already in place and the unemployment rate will be minimal.

If you really believe this, they you will not want to vote for McCain. He is way too soft on illegal immigration.

Mary Kay

PRINCESS
Reaction
We are shooting our selves in the foot with our free speech each time you do a search on most computer search engines, mainly the big one I forget the name:D They have saved every single search since inception in the dorm room. This to build profiles and make the computers work for them. They were able to get excluded from being prevented of saving these on the bases they are a ISP. One day this will put many intellectual personal in unemployment lines. And some unfortunate Businesses out of business, not to mention the loss of our Liberties (ouch)! Sounds like a big brother conspiracy. This Blog can build profiles and track individuals (Klaus is that you;) )...

by chance are you talking about our wonderful Patriot Act....it is wonderful read:)

fyi watch what books you may want to check out of your local library!

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
Reaction
by chance are you talking about our wonderful Patriot Act....it is wonderful read:)

Some of the draw backs to not having our women and children endure a war on our soil! I have spoken personally to Veterans that have seen what happens to people during wars and it brings tears to their eyes when they imagine it close to home. We are spoiled with such a beautiful life thanks to our Veterans! God Bless America... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

R_TAYLOR

Reaction

Are you worried about the govt. seeing what you check out at the library? There were 3000 people ground up in little pieces on 9-11 and so what about the library? Is that to much of stomping on your rights? Get a clue.

Shotdsherrif

Reaction
If you really believe this, they you will not want to vote for McCain. He is way too soft on illegal immigration.

I've got 2 things to throw out there ...

#1 Is it just me or is anyone else surprised at how "soft" almost all of the Republican candidates have been? I mean Guiliani and Romney are from NY and Massachussetts for crying out loud. They remind me more of the other douche-like candidates that Democrats have thrown out there in recent years to get slaughtered by Republicans ... like Dukakis and Kerry. Huckabee ... very nice man, great sense of humor, but really, c'mon, utterly unelectable. Ron Paul ... see Huckabee ... without the sense of humor part as much. And finally getting to McCain ... when I said I really respect him ... please remember, I'm basically a Democrat at heart ... I've always liked McCain because I've never really considered him a "real" Republican.

So yes, he would have MY support. But have you heard what Rush Limbaugh has to say about him ... ? ... its not very positive! Its just weird ... Republicans have created a proven strategy for winning elections in recent years ... they convince the people in the "heartland" that Democrats are all satan-worshipping soddomites who want to eat their children ... and they've divided the country in an awful way doing it ... but HEY, they've WON! And now ... ... ... Where is Karl Rove? Seriously, what I'm saying is I've gotten the impression the Republican establishment has either just resigned to losing this election OR they're relying on Democrats to lose it all on their very own. Its just odd to me ...

And again, McCain is a great man, but he is NOT a true conservative.

And #2, in regards to McCain's single biggest liability among people who will likely vote Republican. McCain is very definitely "soft" on immigration. I feel he's just right, but I'm talking about all the people for whom immigration is the one defining issue in this election cycle. ...

How many of you realize that deep down Republicans are NOT and have NEVER been anti-immigration ??? They are about big-business and big-business thrives on an uncontrolled supply of labor. Everything any Republican has said until now about "protecting our borders" has never been anyting but a cheap pander. Just like Terry Chiavo, or a flag-burning amendment or banning-gay-marraige ... or any of those things ... its never been anything but a way for Republicans to get working class people to vote for them ... by pushing the buttons on their fears.

I might be opening up a can of worms here ... but with McCain's emergence as a front runner ... this is going to start to get discussed in the media any second now ... I know there are a few immigration-trolls here on RDC ... and probaly a lot of other people that just simply are concerned about the issue.

Its really interesting to me though ... and this has proven to be an even-handed and respectful thread so far ...

Mary Kay

PRINCESS
Reaction
Are you worried about the govt. seeing what you check out at the library? There were 3000 people ground up in little pieces on 9-11 and so what about the library? Is that to much of stomping on your rights? Get a clue.

no i am not...my post was about a different person's post about people being tracked.....when it was passed there was a big to do with the library's not wanting to give out that information to the gov't....which i don't understand what the big deal if people know what i read about......i have read the act more then once it has some great things in it and i am all for it.....hopefully we will never have to witness another 9/11 because of the partriot act!

Shotdsherrif

Reaction
By the way, I'm Hispanic if anybody is wondering. My mother emigrated here from Colombia in the early 60's. So I'm first generation ... but my step-father ... well, he's a red-blooded, Southern country boy from Alabama ... which is a twist, I know.

So, if you're going to insult me, please, just do so accurately.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

Jesus Rick c'mon! Its a slippery slope, once you start to take away a few rights, what's a few more. All in the name of "patriotism"? Give me a break. The Constitution is there to protect individual rights, not grant the government unbridled power to take them away.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
you called me on the carpet for not getting involved so i did...i gave people things to think about...which produced a lot great post from different point of views

i have stated earlier that my post were food for thought not my beliefs, which i am more then willing to act on when i vote for who I think is the best person!

i can pm you my 2007 tax forms if it makes you feel better. i do know that when i go to the store or fill up my gas tank the dollar buys me less then ever before:(

Mary give it up. The kid just likes to argue and will wear you out. I should know, I used to be just like him and would argue with however until blue in the face. He's blinded by his own unbridled hatred of "liberals" and will never see clearly. It is this mentality that is killing politics. Calling the other side "kooks" is hardly the way to bring this country back together for the common good.

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
Reaction
Jesus Rick c'mon! Its a slippery slope, once you start to take away a few rights, what's a few more. All in the name of "patriotism"? Give me a break. The Constitution is there to protect individual rights, not grant the government unbridled power to take them away.

Your right about the slippery slope... With the Constitution written by the Framers in 1787, its good that it included Article 5 for Amendments. There are many things that were not thought of then and Technology was not a word...:eek: Any good ideas for protecting the citizens (thats is why there is a Government) while not losing our Liberties?

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
Reaction
Calling the other side "kooks" is hardly the way to bring this country back together for the common good.

Remember Bush tried to work with the Democrats when he took office. He did not purge the Democrats from the civil service jobs like most presidents have done in the past and even worked with Ted Kennedy on the education bill. Look where it got him. Unfortunately "the common good" to the Democrats means "do it my way, or the higway"

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Mary give it up. The kid just likes to argue and will wear you out. I should know, I used to be just like him and would argue with however until blue in the face. He's blinded by his own unbridled hatred of "liberals" and will never see clearly. It is this mentality that is killing politics. Calling the other side "kooks" is hardly the way to bring this country back together for the common good.

To anyone who may read this, Travis and I have discussed our differences in PMs, and I thought we buried this hachet. Apparently not.

Unlike so many "liberals", I DO HAVE THE CAPACITY AND WILLINGNESS to examine ALL SIDES OF AN ISSUE, and come to my own conclusions. I am not as 'blinded' as you say, I just stand fast in my beliefs, as you and many of us do. To say that it's because of thinking like mine killing politics, plain absurd.
I did not call the other side kooks, I said that Bill Clinton was a kook and anyone who supports him after his indiscretions is a kook. This is evident in my post about that.
You have labeled me as a racist and intolerant, something I refrain from doing to others. You do it to destroy their credibility, cause after all, if someone is racist and intolerant, how can their views be seen as anything but?
It's too bad we can't come to an accord and work together instead of fighting over petty differences, we could get a lot accomplished.
HOLY CRAP, I just cited the problem with politcal parties:)

To address the illegal immigration issue as many of you have mentioned, I am very disheartened with the way the Republican party has handled the issue as well. I don't see anyone taking a firm stance on it and making it the focal point of their campaign, which also disappoints me. Tancredo would have rocked at this, and Hunter would have as well.

I HAVE YET TO MEET A LIBERAL "TOLERANT" ENOUGH TO ACCEPT THAT I'M CONSERVATIVE.
Says something about the "open-minded" doesn't it?

Shotdsherrif

Reaction
I did not call the other side kooks, I said that Bill Clinton was a kook and anyone who supports him after his indiscretions is a kook.

To address the illegal immigration issue as many of you have mentioned, I am very disheartened with the way the Republican party has handled the issue as well. I don't see anyone taking a firm stance on it and making it the focal point of their campaign, which also disappoints me. Tancredo would have rocked at this, and Hunter would have as well.

I HAVE YET TO MEET A LIBERAL "TOLERANT" ENOUGH TO ACCEPT THAT I'M CONSERVATIVE.
Says something about the "open-minded" doesn't it?

The truth is kid, the minute you threw the word kook out there, you let whatever your point may have been devolve into a bout of name-calling. Its got nothing to do with political inclinations at that point. Its not a big deal ... but it WAS you who went there ... so just admit it ... otherwise and for the most part, it does seem like you mean well. I enjoy having these type of conversations in this environment. The off-roading world here in the West definitely brings some tightly wound political tensions with it ... finding a way to talk about them and maybe get past a few things is a GOOD thing.

And who knows, you might find a "liberal" or two that might agree with you. Take a look around, most of the people calling for Clinton blood right about now are screaming, flaming liberals!

As for the immigration issue. I find it interesting that you sidestepped my point that being virulently anti-immigration is maybe not really a conservative keystone issue after all ... that maybe its just a red herring cynical ploy to keep the base in lockstep. There are no " liberals" really taking any part in the immigration debate on the national stage if you haven't noticed. Its strictly a red-state affair. so ... uhh ...

Last edited:

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Remember, I'm not anti-immigration, I'm anti ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION;)

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
To throw something else out there, does anyone else see the hypocracy in people supporting Hillary "just because she's a woman" or Obama "just because he's black"?

I mean, it would be sexist if I said I DON'T support Hillary because she's a woman and racist if I don't support Obama because he's black.

Since when are there double standards?
(don't answer that, I already know)

Anyone else see the irony here?