STEEL-IT Coatings - Who Run's It?

Bink Designs

Reaction
From our experience with powder coating products on some of our display vehicles and trying to keep them maintained was very difficult, we recently found a solution to our problem STEEL-IT Stainless Steal Coatings. We are now finding out that many other teams of the sport that run the product as well since it's very durable and can be welded right over which is awesome!

Who else runs STEEL-IT out there? We would like to hear other's experiences/feedback with the product!

steelit_product_polyurethane.jpg

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
Racecarcoatings.com is one of our sponsors (Arciero Motorsports), they are a distributor of Steel-it. This stuff is amazing, especially after a race that has mud and water like the Parker 425, mud just washes right off and if you get any chips in it touch up is simple, Steel-It blends seamlessly.

J Prich

Reaction
How much does it cost? At the end of the day, that's what probably drives the decision for most people.

redline

Reaction
We have been using it for about 5 years! Its not exactly the cheapest but when you buy 12 or more cans from McMasterCarr you get a pretty good discount. Stuff is awesome for durability though compared to other paints and the extra plus to it is you can ground through it and if needed also can weld through it. Although if youre in the shop and have the extra time it is worth it to remove it when you weld.

Just checked and evidently now that there is more distributors Mcmaster had to raise their price. When you buy 12 or more its $23 a can of aerosol

Anger Issues

Reaction
I found myself wondering though... it says you can weld right on it. I assume you are still penetrating the metal and not welding on (attaching) to the coating? Does it just allow the initial "contact" to be made and then burn away under the high heat? It does sound like a great idea especially for races near the ocean, and water crossings, and foggy places that cause the unpainted cages to rust. I have many areas needing attention now due to all the damn moisture this year. I know we need it, but my work area isn't exactly a sealed environment.

johndjmix

Reaction
Ill tell you what i painted my steel receiver hitch drawbar with steel-it. It stays on my raptor year round. With all the sand and salt and that liquid ice melter...hitch is still painted like it was when i did it and no rust.

Impressive stuff.

--John

Kevin/H&M Motorsports

Reaction
We use it on all suspension we install. Very durable and sprays easily.

Zambo

Reaction
Jimco sells it for a few bucks less than McMaster.

johndjmix

Reaction
How are all you guys prepping a prior painted surface before applying? I just simply used a pad wheel on the hitch but on my truck I'm not doing it that way, I will sandblast the frame.

How do you prepare a priorly painted piece?

How do you prepare a new piece of fresh steel?

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
After San Felipe, we are marinating both Trophy Trucks in Steel-It. The old #23 chassis was all Steel-It and we loved it. We coat our arms and uprights in it, but soon both trucks will be covered. Great product, highly recommend. I wish I had done it for my RZR cage.

Zambo

Reaction
I just used it for the first time on my LCAs and it went on beautifully and so far is holding up well.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
so is this product a suspension of 316L particles in a pu paint? I can't imagine the low carbon designation (L) matters for welding when it is strictly a surface coating. The carbon content in the two pieces of steel tubing to be joined and in the feed rod is what matters for welding. But what do I know? It does sound like good stuff from the testamonials.

vegasloki

Reaction
so is this product a suspension of 316L particles in a pu paint? I can't imagine the low carbon designation (L) matters for welding when it is strictly a surface coating. The carbon content in the two pieces of steel tubing to be joined and in the feed rod is what matters for welding. But what do I know? It does sound like good stuff from the testamonials.
The carbon in a suspended coating could impact weldability were it high enough though in this case I'd think the chromium could impact weldability more. It's not like with a traditional weld through coating like a primer where the coating is vaporized. The carbon (or other elements in the alloy) in the coating won't vaporize and will be introduced to the puddle. I wouldn't think it is high enough to impact the base metal haz but I would think it could change the arc characteristics. Having to weld through is a worst case scenario. It's not going to be best conditions likely a Bobcat on a chase truck with a mig gun and feeder. Enough to stick the metal together and get on your way.