Steel wheel lug nuts

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I recently bought some pro comp steel wheels for my 4Runner and bought acorn style lug nuts on McMaster Carr and installed them yesterday and I’m not overly excited about how it looks it just feels wrong but I’ve never had steel wheels before always aluminum style the tapered hole for the lug nuts to locate in.

Is his acceptable?
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
To me it just looks off, thread engagement becuase stock stud is short seems weird, and just looking at where the lug seats just seems off.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Almost seems like a machining step was missed with the wheels and the holes were punched but the seats were not pressed in...

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
I sure hope that wasn’t the case. But right, it really just doesn’t look right

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I sure hope that wasn’t the case. But right, it really just doesn’t look right

Call their tech support and ask... But the ones in the pics on the 4Wheel Parts website look the same as yours...

dzrt performance

Reaction
be care when you throw the term out there "acorn" lug nuts.

there are actually several different style of seating surfaces, the most popular being acorn, where the mating surface has a concave surface. However, there are TAPERED lug nuts, that to the casual eye, look identical. if mistakenly interchanged, they will work,, but the mating surface is greatly reduced and the will loosen up or worse.

given how thin those wheels are, it am wondering if either style is correct as there is a recess for the mating surface for increased contact with true acorn/tapered lugs to work. your wheels look like they require a flange or washer style lug nut.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
Kind of thinking of just taking it to the local tire shop i trust for the alignment and seeing what they say. But I agree seems like I would need a washer style lug but too.

Also, semi worried 4wp has no clue what they are selling as the stuff in the website does look just like what I have going on.

biggjim

Reaction
I am going with those being hub centric wheels that use a flat lug nut.