Steering Box question

V8Ranger

Reaction
I was wondering if it is possible to clock the pitman arm shaft on an old 70's Chevy Van steering box. I'd like to rotate the shaft between 15-20 degrees so it will work better on a ranger. If it is possible how difficult is it to do and what does it involve??

Thanks

FABRICATOR

Reaction
The are at least two methods to re-position a steering arm.

One is to take the end you need from a steering arm and build a new arm using that piece.

Another, depending on the original spline layout, is to cut a few additional splines in the box output shaft.

This is one of those things that have everything to do with safety and should not be messed with. Both require very careful planning and construction.

V8Ranger

Reaction
Thats what I was thinking but 20 degrees is a little much. What I ended up doing was fileing 4 more splines in the pitman arm. It took me a couple hours but now I can put it where ever I want it.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
JUST CURIOUS BUT WHY THE BOX CHANGE?

V8Ranger

Reaction
Well I liked the fact that the output shaft runs straight down rather than at an angle like the stock ranger box. I didn't like the fact that the stock ranger pitman arm rotated on a plane different than the plane that the swing set steering swung on. (If that makes any sense) It also looks quite a bit stronger than the stock ranger box.