Steering damper

RC RACING

Reaction
My fullsize bronco is on the street I extended the I beams 3" on each side I've been
using it daily to get the bugs out but my steering is bad besides needing an alignment job I think I need an steering stabilizer anyone knows if fox makes one??
I'm running 35's ,I need someone to align the bronco I'm in san diego.

Any info will be appreciated

jeff

Reaction
Regarding a Fox stabilizer... if you run a charged steering stabilizer cylinder (like a Fox) you ideally need to run two in opposition to each other, that way one can cancel the other out. If you only run one it'll end up pulling as the pressurization will force the steering away from center.

Aloha

DezGuy

Reaction
My fullsize bronco is on the street I extended the I beams 3" on each side I've been
using it daily to get the bugs out but my steering is bad besides needing an alignment job I think I need an steering stabilizer anyone knows if fox makes one??

Sorry to hijack but do you have any pics of your Bronco you can email me?

eridens@ratedxmotorsports.com

steveG

Reaction
What is the truck doing that makes you think it needs a steering stabilizer?

Have you tried correcting the alignment?

mfs

Reaction
i never run a steering stabilizer on my trucks it doesnt do much if anything. check the tires. and fix the alignment that will wreck ur tires (and their not cheap) and make them out of balance too. does it have drop down brackets? check and make sure they are tight they tend to move side to side like a swing set from the steering forces. have someone shake the wheel and look for any thing that has play on the front end.

BioMax

Reaction
Regarding a Fox stabilizer... if you run a charged steering stabilizer cylinder (like a Fox) you ideally need to run two in opposition to each other, that way one can cancel the other out. If you only run one it'll end up pulling as the pressurization will force the steering away from center.

Aloha

I don't think I have ever seen a charged steering dampener. All of the steering dampeners I have used are 50/50 valved and are an emulsion type.

It does sound to me like there is something else wrong with the suspension. If the steering and the beams arent "in sync" then you are sure to have steering issues.

*TRD*

Reaction
I don't think I have ever seen a charged steering dampener. All of the steering dampeners I have used are 50/50 valved and are an emulsion type.

It does sound to me like there is something else wrong with the suspension. If the steering and the beams arent "in sync" then you are sure to have steering issues.

Any monotube steering damper is going to be pressurized with nitrogen (just like a normal shock). This pressure causes a force on the piston rod. The piston rod forces the vehicle to pull. That is unless you have a 2nd one acting the opposite dirrection.

BioMax

Reaction
Any monotube steering damper is going to be pressurized with nitrogen (just like a normal shock). This pressure causes a force on the piston rod. The piston rod forces the vehicle to pull. That is unless you have a 2nd one acting the opposite dirrection.

I'm gonna have to check that out. I've been doing this for a little while now and I've never seen that. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

ntsqd

Reaction
It comes down to the difference in piston area of the two sides of the piston, which is the area of the cross section of the shaft. Small area, but put 250 psi on it and watch what happens.

BioMax

Reaction
King claims that their dampeners do not try to extend themselves. They are charged and have a 50/50 piston. They did say that some other manufactures' dampeners do extend.

I do have to agree with you guys tho, If you charge a shock of any type they will try to extend. Sound worthless in a steering dampener, having to run two to cancel each other out is overkill.

ntsqd

Reaction
Not really. Any PS system will negate the minimal force of that small of a piston in the damper. Even if no PS system the force could be pretty low if the shaft OD isn't jynormous or the charge pressure is kept reasonable.

BioMax

Reaction
I say build a system that doesn't need a steering dampener. (most) TT's and class 1 don't use 'em. Why should we? Poor design and too much scrub radius are the main culprits.

Let's have and old-shcool rumble with "too much scrub radius!"

ntsqd

Reaction
I say build a system that doesn't need a steering dampener. (most) TT's and class 1 don't use 'em. Why should we? Poor design and too much scrub radius are the main culprits.
Most, if not all, of those vehicles do not need a steering damper b/c they have a steering ram, which is the best of dampers.
Ideal would be to not need one, but sometimes that isn't possible. I know of one case where to get what's needed to be competitive, and stay within the class rules, a steering damper is the only solution.

BioMax

Reaction
Agreed!

I forget about class rules, I build "toys" that don't have rules. Keeps me jaded:D

RooTs

Reaction

I'm not one to ask for pics of someone else truck, but it appears you have converted your front clip to a '97 year. Could you post a pic of it.