Steering for a 7 truck

JOSH

Reaction
I was wondering what you other 7 guys are using for steering? Rack and pinion (sp), stock... any ideas would help, the truck is down to the rails so i think i can make anything work. what are the ups and downs of each and will a stock system hold up??

thanks alot.

Josh

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I know Solo motorsports and that airborn ranger run stock steering on their prerunner class trucks if your running 7 open I would spend the money for cross over style so you car get all your wheel travel and elimimnate bump steer, In 7S Jamie Cambell ran his stock steering set up and he abuses the crap out of that truck. Well lets see what others have to say??....

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
What type of vehicle is it on? Arent you building a tacoma or standard toyota?

A man is not finished when he is defeated,
he is finished when he quits.
-- Richard M. Nixon

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Well then it all comes down to how much do you want to spend. You could go crazy with a howe rack or stay with stock box and make beefy tie rods with heim ends. All 7s trucks run stock steering and they all seem to do damn good. I am not sure of the weekpoint of the S-10 someone has had to do it before and knows..

A man is not finished when he is defeated,
he is finished when he quits.
-- Richard M. Nixon

Jimmy8

Reaction
Both Howe and Tommy Lee I believe can do tricks with the stock boxes and pumps. You may want to call one of them and see what they recommend.

"On A Mission"

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Go with Tommy Lee he does bitchin work. We have had Howe and now have Tommy Lee, the latter is much nicer.
Don't get too crazy with heimed rod ends and so-forth because you are going to need a weak link in the system
It's much easier to change out a tie rod then it is to repair a gear box ripped off the frame!!! Go with a custom
pump, box, and a good ram and you will be very happy. If you are a 7 open, go for the gold and do a full custom set up
but in 7s with only 12 inches up front you don't need a custom front end, nor is it allowed.

Good Luck

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csupomona.edu/~kjhernandez>My Web Page</A>

JOSH

Reaction
WHAT DOES A TOMMY LEE SYSTEM RUN..W/ PUMP RAM AND ANYTHING ELSE I NEED? WHERE CAN I GET ONE??

DMSRACE

Reaction
Tommy Lee 818-768-0371
He's worth every penny!!!!!

Racer

Racing isn't everything, it's all there is

Chris

Reaction
Tommy Lee prepped the steering box on our F150. Haven't had any steering box related problems and we hammer the piss out of it.

JOSH

Reaction
WHAT IS THE COST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HOWE SYSTEM AN A TOMMY LEE SYSTEM??
I KNOW A HOWE SYSTEM RUNS ABOUT $1700.00 SO HOW MUCH IS OLD TOMMYS STUFF,
(THATS FOR PUMP, RAM, AND RESEVOR)

DMSRACE

Reaction
Josh, call and talk to him... he's way cool and knows what he is doing..prices vary..

Kevin

Racer

Racing isn't everything, it's all there is

JOSH

Reaction
Thanks alot Kevin and the rest of you guys..I'l call first thing tomarrow

JasonHutter

Reaction
Just a note, 7s trucks don't use stock steering. The rule is you have to keep the stock concept. That means if it came stock with a steering box, centerlink, tie-rods etc. you can't change it to rack and pinion. I am sure some are using stock but not all are. You will notice that some have heims in there steering, and I can gaurantee that that didn't come stock. We posted some pictures of our steering of our truck on another thread about a week ago or so. That is a 7s truck. I think the thread was called Toyota steering or something like that.

Jason