Steering Ratio / Angle

motorhead

Is 12:1 the accepted steering ratio in a desert race car, or does it vary? What are the slowest and quickest ratios people are using. I have a Saginaw 12.5:1 in my truck right now and happy with the response but haven't driven much else in the dirt to compare it.

Also what steering angle is accepted as the norm? I understand ackerman will change the angle between the two sides, so lets measure the inside angle since it will be slightly larger. I know a 1" uniball has 30-32 degrees misalighnment which is the limiting factor on a upright with vertical uniballs, but is that considered plenty or just sufficient?

Lastly, does anyone know the ratio on a steering box from a 89-95 4X4 toyota pickup?

Thanks - David

SpeedBump

Is 12:1 the accepted steering ratio in a desert race car, or does it vary? What are the slowest and quickest ratios people are using. I have a Saginaw 12.5:1 in my truck right now and happy with the response but haven't driven much else in the dirt to compare it.

Also what steering angle is accepted as the norm? I understand ackerman will change the angle between the two sides, so lets measure the inside angle since it will be slightly larger. I know a 1" uniball has 30-32 degrees misalighnment which is the limiting factor on a upright with vertical uniballs, but is that considered plenty or just sufficient?

Lastly, does anyone know the ratio on a steering box from a 89-95 4X4 toyota pickup?

Thanks - David
The Saginaw steering box we use has a variable ratio – 13:1 at center increasing to 16:1 at max angle.

Wheels turn approx +/- 24 degrees.

motorhead

The Saginaw steering box we use has a variable ratio – 13:1 at center increasing to 16:1 at max angle.

Wheels turn approx +/- 24 degrees.

Thanks for the response SpeedBump. Variable ratio is not built into every steering box, correct? I would think a progressively quicker ratio would be advantageous throughout the pitman arm's travel to make the linear movement consistent throughout lock to lock? I hope that made sense.

Anyone else know their steering angle or ratio?

D.Mavis

I'd like to resurect this thread.

I'm designing a truck style long travel a-arm prerunner. what are peoples opinions on how many degrees of steering at the hub per turn of the wheel (steering ratio). how about the max steering at the hub?

I have it designed now for 28 degrees of steer angle per 1 turn of the steering wheel and I have the steering stop at 35 degrees either way for a total of 70 degrees total from lock to lock at the hub, this is a total of 2.5 turns of the steering wheel (this is the average of both tires as they steer different because of some ackerman)

FABRICATOR

2.5 turns and 70 degrees rotation is not bad for a prerunner.