Steering Shake

In_the_works

Reaction
Well, I'm at a loss. When I take long, left hand turns at normal speed, (35-45mph) and hit any kind of bump, my truck gets very bad tire wobbles in the front end. So bad, that I have to pull over and slow to about 5mph before they stop. I just replaced both upper and lower ball joints on both sides last weekend, hoping to cure it, but to no avail. Could it be a tie rod?? Alignment?? I'm a little low on cash at the moment, so I wanted to hold off on taking it to a shop if at all possible. I welcome any ideas you might have, 'cause I'm stumped.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

JasonHutter

Reaction
Could be a wheel bearing. Jack up your truck and try to wiggle the tire from top to bottom and see if there is any play. Left to right will ad in any steering linkage play. Top to bottom shouldn't have any play.

Jason

hbprnstr

Reaction
our super duty does the same thing. we have replaced all the ball joints steering arms and added a stearing stabalizer and it still does it. somthing about 35 inch tires it doesnt like. it also only does it between 40 and 45 mph. Ive been told by a couple people that it is known as ford death wobble or some [censored] and no one is really sure why it does it or how to fix it. weve gone through many balance and rotations and even went as far as replacing the tires and still it shakes. this is why i drive a TOYOTA!!!

In_the_works

Reaction
well d@mn, I only have 33's on it and it hasn't always done it, only started after a light rompin' in the desert so.... I'm hoping its repairable??

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

BigD

Reaction
ive got a 2001 f150 and i get gnarly shakes right at about 50 mph, they go away if you drive a little faster or slower. im running the bfg 315 baja ta's so i dunno if that has anything to do with it...its just weird cause it only happens at that one speed. its kinda along the same lines, thought id share too.

evan_clanin

Reaction
check and make sure all ur weights are still on, i know ive had them pop off befor, one time going down the road and took my mirror off. some times they will get hit with a rock and get knocked loose

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
sounds like you have a tire that is unbalanced, out of round, or a bent rim, my yota did that at 50-55 mph, had a bad vibe in it, go faster it would dissapate, the same for going slower. discovered it was a "slightly" bent rim beyond balancing.

"THE FASTER YOU GO, THE SMOOTHER IT IS!"

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
my budys ranger did the same thing after a light rompin. we were coming home and he pulled off the road really quickly so i called him up on the cell and he said his front end was shaking like a MF. HE got his tires rebalanced and it hasnt happend again. he had 32' mudders

Gregg

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "Could it be a tie rod?? "

Check to see if there's any play or slop in the tie rod ends. With the truck on it's wheels have someone turn the steering wheel left and right slightly while you crawl under the front end and have a look to see if there's any wear in the tie rods. Sounds like this may be your problem.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Crayfish

Reaction
I have a 97 Dodge Ram 3" lift w/33" tires and it has quite the appetite for idler arms. About once a year I have to change it because the ball joint thingy gets beat to crap.
Dunno if the Ford has the same setup on the steering but it sounds like the same thing I have. Jack both front wheels off the ground and grab a tire at 9 and 3 o'clock and move the tire and see where the slop might be.

Good luck

beamdream

Reaction
Dude, my Tacoma did the same thing at around 35-40 mphs. I thought I bent an I-beam or my radius arm after a mishap in Ocotillo. But I gave it back to Perry and the only thing wrong was my alignment. But I tell you, those shakes suck. They're freaking scary too when driving next to other cars. Feels like I was almost bouncing each tire off the ground sometimes. Good luck.

C-$

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think that is a Ford thing cause my F1 does the same thing and it is on 35's. Happens when I hit 45-50 mph. However, I did notice that after I got my tires rotated, it wasn't as bad.

See ya in the dirt!

In_the_works

Reaction
Yea, thank God it never has happened when some @ss was tailgating me, or he'd be in for a suprise.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

Volcom1095

Reaction
i have the same problem with a 2000 chevy z71 with 35 bajas and im on my second lift trying to fix the problem. DIDNT help so i just live with it.