Steering Stabilizer

desertracer

Reaction
I have been having a problem with a shimmy type movement in my wheel a different speeds. My truck is a 2wd chevy silverado with a Fabtech lt kit on it so that doesn't help the problem too much itself. I have checked the Ball Joints and they appear to be fine and the tie rods appear to have a slight bit of play but not to much, although a little bit of play a rest can be much larger at higher speeds with the greater forces. I am pretty sure that it is not a wheel balance issue as it occurs at all speeds. The one thing that somebody reccomended to me was to install a rancho steering stabilizer to help stop the wheel kick back and ease the load to the steering parts. Is this the super disco way to solve the problem or a logical way to make a mainly street driven truck handle better? Should I replace the tie rod ends first and see where that leaves me before I mount anything else up? Thanks

redline

Reaction
if youre truck is a late model 1/2 ton then you have a rack and pinion and as far as i know you cant get a stabilizer for those models.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
what year truck is it????? have you tried rotating the tires to see if it goes away?? you might have a tire with a tread or belt seperating. and if its a pre 99 truck you should check the idler and pitman arms for slop.

desertracer

Reaction
It is a 96, I have checked the idler and pitman and the do not have excessive slop. The wired thing about this vibration is that is comes on a various speeds. I am gonna check the balancing of the wheel and tire first before I do anything major to make sure it isn't separating. I have the procomp at's and they said that sometimes the belts have started to rip apart on the inside which could cause this. I might try putting my brand new fullsize spare on the front passengers side where the vibration seems to be coming from and see if that makes a difference. I checked the Rancho website and they do make a stabilizer for the late model chevy 2wd's.