Steering Wheel Quick Release

JWHracing

Who makes the best one? Which one has the least amount of play both in and out, and on the splines?

Basically I have a Joe's brand quick release, and it has had play since day one. I thought this was the norm but based on reviews of it, it is a common problem and mine only seems to get harder and harder to take on and off, especially after a race where its subject to the elements.

mgobaja

SWEET seems to make a pretty nice unit. Typically the more splines, the less slop, but also the less dirt tolerant it is as well.

JWHracing

Ended up with a Sweet hub. Definitely worth the money. The fit is top notch and I like that I can put the steering wheel on by simply pushing the wheel on. Very happy

Zambo

The one I have in my CanAm looks just like that Sweet unit but its branded Dragonfire. I don't know if its made by the same people or if it just looks identical. Anyway it fit great for a while but now it has quite a bit of slop in it.

JWHracing

The big difference I noticed from the Sweet vs. the Joe's Racing I previously had, is that the Sweet splines are actually steel inside the hub, rather than aluminum.

5racer

they all get slop or bound up best way is to solid mount it ,unless you have a beer belly thats 30 yrs old you should never rely on taking the wheel off to exit car

Zambo

they all get slop or bound up best way is to solid mount it ,unless you have a beer belly thats 30 yrs old you should never rely on taking the wheel off to exit car
I mainly use it to facilitate maintenance and as a theft deterrent. Also if I got in a crash and have to egress out the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43mod

having one that sticks really sucks. Just before I sold my modified I climbed out the pass window w the wheel in place for fun. As long as nomex lasts about 2 minutes it would be no issue. shorter than that would be crisp bacon.

jon coleman

yes , double check engagement, steve park never raced nascar again after his wasnt locked and on warm up the wheel poped off and car went as set up,Left into wall.also keep clean and use a graphite type dry lube to not atracked grunge

43mod

After mutiple fine tuning sessions and graphite lube still left it sticking i found the cure. I just packed it w grease. Totally against what i think i should do but the proof is the damn thing works now and did not before.