steering wheel shaking at 60mph

brandon89

Reaction
I have a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 2wd and when i get up to around 60 my steering wheel starts to shake side to side, my rack and pinion is leaking a little bit but im bout to replace it, could that be the reason my steering wheel shakes?

BajaFand

Reaction
Yes, that seems to be a problem on those trucks when you put a descent size tire and a lift on. A friend of mine is working through his second rack as we speak. That shaking at a certain speed can also be wheel balancing, it may be time to get your wheels balanced again.

brandon89

Reaction
Thanks alot im bout to put some 35's on it soon, i have 33's now so i will get em balanced with the new tires and still put a new rack in while i have the money now to do it

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
my 05 did that when I first got it new from the dealership. It has 35's on it. The Gm's intermediate steering shaft on the 1500's I believe are the problem if I can remember correctly. They ended up replacing it with the beefier 2500HD shaft I think. Also, when your truck gets older all the joints loose clearances, so a quick fix would be a steering dampener, however if you really wanted to, you could replace all those joints and get a dampener.

brandon89

Reaction
I just got a pro comp 7"(lca) drop kit on it cause it had the cst (uca) kit on it but the coils were rubbing bad on the shocks so i used some of my tax return on a new streetable kit so all the suspension bushings and ball joints r new, and i had the inner tie rods replaced because those were pretty worn, but im gonna get my new tires on soon and get it all balaced