Steve McQueen Desert Racer

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Pretty cool, too bad it's a replica. Here's a pic of McQueen with the original.

Bajajt12

Reaction
That's cool.

Looked it up on the net, 13,000 pounds:eek: I don't know the exchange rate, but to much for me to run it by the wife.;)

Baja Fool

Reaction
Triumph Metisse, 650cc of sweet power. Grew up in the 60's and to have a Metisse motorcycle was to have a Ferrari! Thanks for the post and the memories.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
The guys that rode those bikes were REAL men I ride a old 640KTM with the big tank etc I have never weighed it but i know it's nowhere near the weight of those bikes with 6" of suspension travel and that chrome pipe has got to be real uncomfortable after 100 miles.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Years ago my Dad was with Mr. Mcqueen riding out in the desert near Palm Springs. He had some new bike and my dad had some sort of desert contraption and gave my Dad a ride on his bike. He said that was the LAST time he would get on a bike with him!! Lol..

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Call me stupid but is McQueen alive today?

Chase 2

Reaction
OK, STUPID!! LOL,

Steve McQueen aka Harvey Mushman died from cancer years ago.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
LOL yeah I knew I was gonna get that, I just wiki'd his name and wow didnt know the way that he died, crazy.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
A poster from my pops old dezert racin days....

randy s

Reaction
mcqueen died in the same cancer treatment outfit in rosarito beach in mexico as film directer sam peckinpah, a close friend did. it was during a period of time when people thought a medicine that was derived from apricot pits called laetril only available in mexico was a cancer cure. did'nt work very well for either one of em'.

M

memin.pinguine

I'm sorry about my irrelevant opinion yet: he will live forever!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Mitisse means mongrel in some such language... because the parts came from all over. Here is a great pic of Steve M in S.I.

:)

Attachments

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Those were a beauty, $400 for a Rickman chassis! That was alot back then. Mr. Mcqueen liked the Rickman's and even had a Norton 750 Matisse for the dezert. But he did'nt ride any of them all that much. His favorite, before and after, was a stock frame Triumph. They really handled well and could be lighter than most people think.

Matchless Matisse... (not Mcqueen's)

Bultaco made their own version of the Matisse. It was a looker but you had to keep the welder handy.

Chase 2

Reaction
Rickman frames broke all the time. I worked at a shop (Precision Cycle in Lawndale) that sold Rickmans. We had special gusset kits made to repair and prevent the steering heads from breaking off. They used to break the two front down tubes off right at the top. The frames were brazed, not welded and nickle plated.

SEANY

Reaction
My dads best friend has a huge museum in riverside with over 100 fully restored vintage motocross bikes, he just had his yearly party and there were thousands of people and Malcom Smith was there also. He has a couple of these bikes along with bsa, bull tacos, rokons, and harleys. I will post some pics if i can find some.

spi6616

Reaction
In 1975 (15yrs. old) I worked at Tri-city Suzuki/BMW in Glendale AZ. on weekends and after school. I had the pleasure to ride just about every known dirt bike made (down the alley next to the shop) Rickman's,DKW's,Husqvarna's,Triumph's,BSA's,Cooper and many others (I even Monkeyed a side hack BSA Goldstar) can't remember them all. Aw..... the life of a flunky bike washer.