Sticker removal

curt

We just bought a 95 Pace trailer that's been in svc as a race trailer full time for about 7 years. It has a crapload of old stickers that have been on long enough that the paint is faded everywhere except where the sticker was on it. When you remove them the glue is very difficult to get off. We've tried goo-be-gone(takes too long) and acetone which removes the paint too much. We've also tried both chemicals with a plastic brillo pad but it takes a huge amount of time and has rubbed the paint thin in spots. Any new suggestions? Thanks, Curt

VORRA Class 7

Gabe Lara

Curt,

Have you tried that 3M adhesive removal stuff? Its paint friendly, and does a great job.
Worse case, a good dose of WD-40 and some elbow grease works too.

-Gabe

BRBoudreaux

Don't know if it would affect the paint, but when I take stickers off the windows of my truck, I use a heat gun to warm it up, then use a paint scrapper (doubt you want to do that) and the adhesive is still on the window, so I take plain ole rubbing alcohol from the bathroom and use that to remove the adhesive.

ntsqd

So that you know what you're dealing with, I bought a '67 Ranchero about 12 years ago. It had 'lacquer checked' paint and needed to go to bare metal.
Long story short, turns out the car was a So. Cal Gas company service car. I learned this while removing the paint on the doors. The flame sticker is pretty distinctive. The paint on the doors where the stickers weren't came right off with 80 grit on a mudhog. Where the stickers were (had been peeled long ago, and painted once since the peeling) was a copper plated PITA. That stuff did not want to come off. The sticker adhesive really penetrated and changed the paint.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

elcaprerunner

A hair dryer works bitchen! I took off all the crappy pink decal graphics on my Jet SKi with it ( Jet Ski is a '91, I took the graphics off last year, so they were on there for a long time), it took about 15 minutes. Yes, you can also use a heat gun but a heat gun gets really hot ( I had it demonstarted to me a couple months ago at a window tint shop), I would think if you keep a heat gun on one sticker for two long it might make the paint bubble?? But a hair dryer works awesome because it melts the adhesive of the sticker but it doesn't get so hot that it will ruin anything else.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

redline

try laquer thinner. its not near as harsh as acetone. just rub off the glue with one rag and then have a clean wet rag and wipe off the thinner.

hoeker

typical trailer paint can handle very little laquer thinner, i would stay away if possible. i would go with the heat gun and go-be-gone and not be in such a hurry. remove the vinyl then spray it with 3-m and go to the next sticker while it soaks. wd also works good if you let it soak for a while.

i am reluctant to even say it, but a buddy just did his with gas, works well, and doesn't damage the paint. the fire factor is huge here, so be careful!! don't do it inside, don't smoke, and dispose of the rags properly. the life you save could be your own!

when it comes time to redo my trailer, i figure i'll just sell it and let someone else deal with it! LOL

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

curt

WD might be a good try since it will stay where we put it for a couple of days then we can wipe them off, my neighbor gave me some white gas which might also work good...BTW, white gas(cooking stove gas) is an excellent replacement for carb cleaner for cleaning up greasy part since it doesn't evaporate as fast and is fairly cheap. Thanks, Curt

VORRA Class 7

JasonHutter

We use a thing that looks like a round eraser that goes on a special angle grinder. It works great and doesn't touch the paint. I would have to be at the shop that we work on our truck to get you the particulars. Kevin at AOR in Grand Junction has it. I won't be down for about a week or so, but you could call them and talk to Kevin or Randy and ask what it is and where they got it. Tell them I told you to call and I am sure they will have no problem passing on the info.

Jason Hutter
Fire Guys Racing

AOR
970 263 4300

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Curt, after working at a sign shop for over 6 years the best thing I ever saw to use was the 3M adheasive removal stuff that Gabe mentioned. I have also used WD-40 like he said. One time my (ex)boss got one of those rubber wheels that goes on a drill, kind of like Jason just mentioned. It seemed to work good but it messed up the paint in one spot on a customers car so we never used it again. And to peel off the vinyl your best bet is to use a heat gun like most people suggested.

One thing that seemed to help when we used the 3M remover was to let it soak for awhile then use a sqeege to scrape the goo off.

Good luck!!! we used to charge $65 an hour to do it becuase it sucks so bad....

JasonHutter

I suppose I should clarify that we have only used it on our race truck and it has a good quality paint and it does fine. I haven't tried it on our trailer yet.

Jason

BRBoudreaux

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

We use a thing that looks like a round eraser that goes on a special angle grinder.

<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Vinyl Eraser And Arbor

Item No. - 37023
You can remove all vinyl pinstriping, graphics, and adhesive residue without damaging the paint. Simlpy mount the eraser in your air drill (recommended speed is 3,500 to 4,000 rpm.) and safely remove all the old body striping in minutes. Unlike chemicals and solvents commonly used for this job, the soft wheel is gentle to the finish. Not recommended for acrylic lacquer or plexiglass.

Regular Price: $14.99
This item is in stock.

<hr></blockquote>

Can be found at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.eastwoodco.com>http://www.eastwoodco.com</A>

tedmales

if you use gas to lube up 80 grit sand paper the stickers come off fast!!!
j/k removing stickers is more patience then science. there are many fine products, the 3m is my favorite, but anything designed to remove stickers would be best. it is a slow process. when i have something big to do, i just do like 1 panel at a time so your not there for 6 hours in the fumes. good luck

life is too short to be small

JPDesertsports

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner Part # 8984, 3M also makes Stripe Remover wheels. The one that works the best for me and my customers is Part # 7498 it comes with the arbor.

"You're not a bad driver, you just ran out of talent." - Mike Stapleton