Sticky compound tires

Tube ride

I was wondering if any TT teams run stickies for qualifying? I know the amount of extra traction and advantage would be small on a short run, but so are the fractions of seconds that seperate the top guys.

class5cole

Really tough imagine a tire brand designing something just to be demolished by a few teams for a few miles. If qualifying was on a very hard pack short course like Primm or Vegas, I could see maybe a Pro 4 style tire with enough sidewall to handle the weight transfer of a TT?

I like where your heads at though. "Our minds are always racing"

MTPyle

BFG makes a soft compound that some use for qualifying. They are way softer and wear fast. Us on Toyo tires don’t need to mess with that. We just have more traction already. Hehe

RG ran paddles at Parker qualifying one year since it’s all in the sand. I don’t recall how he did.

Mike

Tube ride

I always go look at cars that have finished KOH on the BFG KR3 S ( sticky) . And the tires don’t seem too wore down and out. I agree about the toyo compound seems just soft enough.

swiftracing5

Class 5 and 10 guys can relate- the tensors are the softest compound of all tire options and they offer the best traction imo. They also don’t last more than 250 miles on these cars

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
TT guys definitely have stickies to play with.

I have run Norra on a new set of Nitto stickies in a 720ish HP U4 car. The rears were chewed gum, but the fronts were alright.

I dont think wear is the issue, the amount of HP on a 2wd TT might rip the lugs off and the cars are built for wheel speed and spinning...think Projects

class5cole

BFG makes a soft compound that some use for qualifying. They are way softer and wear fast. Us on Toyo tires don’t need to mess with that. We just have more traction already. Hehe

RG ran paddles at Parker qualifying one year since it’s all in the sand. I don’t recall how he did.

Mike
I think the fact that we haven't seen it since explains all that 😆

BajaFand

Mike
Pete actually did it first a couple of years before him, Robby bet Pete that he would have a slower time using paddles than he would without. I don’t remember Pete’s result but I thought he was top 10. That was the year of “Pistol Punch”.

Funny that a couple of years after Robby told Pete it wouldn’t work Robby did it himself. I think Robby qualified 3rd that time.

Good ol days, qualifying at Parker is one of the best events of the whole year.

C.J. Hutchins

Pete actually did it first a couple of years before him, Robby bet Pete that he would have a slower time using paddles than he would without. I don’t remember Pete’s result but I thought he was top 10. That was the year of “Pistol Punch”.

Funny that a couple of years after Robby told Pete it wouldn’t work Robby did it himself. I think Robby qualified 3rd that time.

I dont think Pete did so good with paddles, if my memory serves me correctly.

crazyeye

I don't think robby did either.

MTPyle

Does anyone know if Toyo makes a race spec tire that’s soft / sticky ?
No they just have one race spec tire compound. The current tire has a lot of grip, no need for softer for desert racing.

I think Nitto (who is owned by Toyo) has some rock crawling tires with super soft compounds.

Toyo is working on a new desert race tire for 2021. It’s been in testing and we are excited to get it.

We have about 3000 race and test miles on our Toyo’s and love them. Have only had one tire failure that was not a totally bent wheel. They have been super strong for us and have amazing grip. Could not be happier with the Toyo race 39”.

Mike

Tube ride

is the new tire in development going to change dimensions? The kr3 40” x 12.5” seems to be a much improved design over the 39”x 13.5”. Can’t wait to see the new tire.

MTPyle

I typed a long response then realized maybe I should not be saying anything. LOL sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut. Hehe But this time I will shut up.

All I can say is we love our Toyo's and cant wait for the new tire to make them even better. I am confident that Toyo and the Toyo team's have done a lot of work and it will be amazing. Toyo is lucky to have some of the best drivers and teams work with them.

Mike

Tube ride

“ Gossips die as mortals must and leave this earthly home. Their punishment will be I trust eternally to roam, down darkened paths ,and dismal pits and empty halls of hell with heads crammed full of juicy bits and not a soul to tell”. A poem from my grandfather Harry D Camp, a true Idaho cowboy