stitch vs. seam MIG

glamiskid395

Reaction
i just picked up a lincoln sp 200 and it is stitch, seam, and spot capable

ive done both stitch and seam. stitch seams like it will be easier to do on tubing, but will it be better, same or worse as far as strength?

i can do seam pretty well, with plates, but haven't had any tubes to try out. my DOM tubes will be dropped off friday.

Is there a specific type of wire to use on DOM tubing? the welder has 0.035 wire (full spool)

thanks
-Mike

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Most of the guys on here (inlcuding myself) use ER70S2 hard wire for the filler when it comes to MIG. . .

. . .you are throwing around some slightly inaccurate terms when it comes to the type of welding that you are referring to becuase no one stitch or seam welds (technically speaking. . .if you are referring to the textbook definition of those terms and not a slang reference). . .what I believe you are attempting to refer to is the "stacked dime" technique vs. a non-oscillation type of weld which appears as a continuous weld bead.

I will not touch the subject of puddled vs. continuous bead with a 10 ft. pole anymore. . .there are too many variables and it all depends on how you are achieving the puddled appearance. . .not to mention the fact that there are no bona fide, unbiased test performed to back any claim up. . .we all have our own personal opinions and preferences. . .we all feel that we are producing quality welds. . .so I will let someone else beat this dead horse if they see fit,

I would feel comfortable discussing this with you further via PM if you want my view on the subject, but I feel there are already too many threads on this forum dealing with this subject to discuss it in the public domain without turning this into another arguing session that no one is going to win.

Just my $0.02. . .plus I bleed blue not red. . .

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
we use er70-s6 at work and i run the same at home i am going to pick up a roll of .023" for doing cages and other thinner tubing projects . as for the features on the Lincoln no idea all Blues Brothers in my shop and at work

HardCharger81

Reaction
The stitch and seam setting are timers. You set them to allow you to repostion yourself and make the next weld. The timers are set, and the machine turns it self on and off within the times that are set.

Example....

You have a piece of .120 plate that needs to be "Stitched" to an I beam flange thats 18' long.
Your "Stitch's" need to be 4" long 16" on center. So you set you timer to turn on for say 90 seconds.
Long enough to make your 4" weld. Then you set you off time for say 60 seconds to allow you to move
down the I beam 16" and start again. You pull and release the trigger to start the cycle. It'll continue this cycle until
you pull the trigger again to stop it.

This setting is used in an industrial/commercial envronment. You probably wouldn't use it to weld tube.

Hope that helps.

Chase 2

Reaction
Bromide, post up the knarly stitch welds when you get it down.