Stock Ford Ranger rear end tough????

josh7674

Reaction
I got a stock ranger rear end that i want to set up for a link with gussets and a truss,now my question is if truss it with some gussets will it be able to deal with dirt or am i wasting my time with it.I just wanna go the cheap way you know.
Thanks
Josh

gunit

Reaction
If you have a 7.5" rear end (came in 4 cyl and 3.0 v6 Rangers) don't bother doing anything to it, it would be a waste of time.

The best low cost solution is to buy a complete rear end out of a '95 to '01 Explorer. It is a 8.8 with 31 spline axles and disk brakes, the wheel bolt pattern and width are the same as the Ranger. These can be purchased for $200. to $300. complete.

The 4.0 6 cyl Ranger axle is a 8.8 but only has 28 spline axles and drum brakes, they hold up OK but the swap would still be worth it IMHO.

josh7674

Reaction
cool :)
what about the stock axle bearings in the 8.8's are they good or am i gunna have to get stronger bearings???

Triple X Posse

Reaction
The other option is going to a junk yard and finding a complete rear end out of a 79' or 80' F-100 or any 70's lincoln. Both the F-100 and lincoln came with 9" rear ends with 5 on 4 1/2" lug pattern and 31 spline axles. Also the lincolns came with factory disc brakes in some years. I may even have a lincoln 9" laying around that I may want to sell. I'll look around. PM me if your interested.

California MiniTruck

Reaction
If you have a 7.5" rear end (came in 4 cyl and 3.0 v6 Rangers) don't bother doing anything to it, it would be a waste of time.

The best low cost solution is to buy a complete rear end out of a '95 to '01 Explorer. It is a 8.8 with 31 spline axles and disk brakes, the wheel bolt pattern and width are the same as the Ranger. These can be purchased for $200. to $300. complete.

The 4.0 6 cyl Ranger axle is a 8.8 but only has 28 spline axles and drum brakes, they hold up OK but the swap would still be worth it IMHO.
Good point! Yea they run any where between $200 up to $500 depending on the gear ratio and the core exchange. You can even get a stock one with a 4:10 gear ratio! I can help some one track one down if any one is interested :D:D:D

josh7674

Reaction
Good point! Yea they run any where between $200 up to $500 depending on the gear ratio and the core exchange. You can even get a stock one with a 4:10 gear ratio! I can help some one track one down if any one is interested :D:D:D
Ya thats what i heard that they come with disc brakes and a 4:10 gear ratio.Ya im intrested in it forsure and i got a stock complete ranger rear end that i can use to trade or trade with a little cash as well with anyone you know of