Stock production classes

V8Ranger

RDC Crypto
Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the pure stock production classes (7300, 8100, 3100, 4100). It seems like the classes would be a lot of fun to race in. What kind of yearly budget are you looking at to be competitive. Of that, where does most of it go? Any other feedback is appreciated.

deleted

----
RDC Crypto
When we ran 4100, we were fully backed by Ford, BFGoodrich, American Racing Wheels, AFE, Fox Shox and Visteon for all the parts we needed. We went through a lot of parts. It would cost a fortune for somebody to need to buy all of these OEM parts from a dealership. If you arent backed buy a factory like we were, then it is not worth it. Race 7s or something like that.

grt

Checkers *********
RDC Crypto
Website
www.rodhallracing.com
I manage Team HUMMER and we run both Class 4100 and 8100. By the very nature of the fact that we run HUMMERS, it is a very expensive effort. To be competitive, like us, Foutz or Stein takes factory support and alot of dedication. If I were looking to race on a budget, I'd buy a good used 1/2-1600 buggy with all the spares. Best class in racing in my opinion. If trucks are your thing, take a look at 7S.

grt

johnnyweb

RDC Crypto
Website
johnnyscustomautobody.com
what kind of budget is it taking to race a 1/2-1600 or 7s? and what kind of money is there to be made? and how much of a chance is there at getting a sponsorship like ford to pay for things? we run 7300 class with bitd. i dont think its any more expensive but i dont have the info to say for sure. i can tell you this the competition is great and the people that drive them and finish are great drivers.

AaronDixon

RDC Crypto
Website
www.dixonbrosracing.com
V8Ranger said:
Just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the pure stock production classes (7300, 8100, 3100, 4100). It seems like the classes would be a lot of fun to race in. What kind of yearly budget are you looking at to be competitive. Of that, where does most of it go? Any other feedback is appreciated.

The 7300 class has been a great Class to race in. I think any racing is fun, but with the Stock Classes you really have to baby-sit the truck and mistakes will get you. To be competitive, you have to be a smart driver and not have ANY problems. The racer that has the least amount of downtime wins.

As far as budget: take away hotels, gas, entry fees, and all other costs associated with racing and you have a pretty inexpensive class to race in. We started racing a '90 Ford Ranger. This truck cost us 15k to build, and was very inexpensive to maintain. I would say we spent $500-$1000 per race on prep and repair. There are a few items that have to be replaced every race, but they are usually brackets, or ball joints. Not high-dollar items.

We are currently racing a 2004 Ranger and this truck requires more parts between races, but with Fords Support, we are able to race competitively with the older trucks. Ford $$$ is HUGE in these classes.

Aaron

V8Ranger

RDC Crypto
AaronDixon said:
We are currently racing a 2004 Ranger and this truck requires more parts between races, but with Fords Support, we are able to race competitively with the older trucks. Ford $$$ is HUGE in these classes.

Thanks for the input everyone. To me there is something very appealing about taking a nearly bone stock vehicle through the desert and trying to get it to stay together.

Aaron, what kind of support does Ford provide other than the money that they give to the top three winners?

Also, how extensively are teams modifying their powerplants? I was reading through the BITD rulebook and was surprised to read that the motor rules are fairly open provided that the factory block and head castings are used. It seems like this would substantially drive up the cost of a competitive car.

shrek

RDC Crypto
V8Ranger said:
Thanks for the input everyone. To me there is something very appealing about taking a nearly bone stock vehicle through the desert and trying to get it to stay together.

Aaron, what kind of support does Ford provide other than the money that they give to the top three winners?

Also, how extensively are teams modifying their powerplants? I was reading through the BITD rulebook and was surprised to read that the motor rules are fairly open provided that the factory block and head castings are used. It seems like this would substantially drive up the cost of a competitive car.

The opinion about motors in stock classes is very different with everyone across the board.

This is how I feel= There is only so much you are going to do with 9-11" of front wheel travel no matter how much horsepower you have. You could have 800hp, and still only have 11" of wheel travel to use it.............

Also, the game in any stock class is not the fastest guy usually. It is the most consistant, stay in the race guy...........Once you have worked all the bugs out, and really know your vehicle such as Foutz and Stein then speed definitely helps out of course. But that is usually years down the road after you start racing a stock class vehicle. I used to race an explorer, which we were very sucessfull in the 3100 class with, and it had a bone stock 4.0L V6........straight from the crate to the truck.

Long story short..........I will take engine reliability vs. horsepower any day in a stock class.

Shrek

AaronDixon

RDC Crypto
Website
www.dixonbrosracing.com
V8Ranger said:

Also, how extensively are teams modifying their powerplants?

If you race a current production vehicle in BITD, you can probably get factory parts support from Ford. For example, items such as A-arms, spindles, drivetrain parts, steering racks... Anything you would replace every few races (consumables). These parts have to be justified through post-race technical reports detailing how,where, when,and why the part failed or needs to be replaced.

As far as motors, ours is completely stock. I'm not a 'motor guy' so I cant imagine taking one apart and rebuilding it. We will run a motor until it starts to show some signs of wear, or performance drops off. Then I'll just put a brand new one in. Simple and easy. There are times when I wish I had more HP, but reliability is key.

Aaron