Stock utv rally sportsman class

Sergiopena25

Hi everyone I own a 2018 rzr turbo 4 seater and I’m finally gunna do what I always wanted to do Wich is race after seeing BITD opening a class that’s somewhat affordable I found 8 friends who are committed and if I could get some pointers etc again I have never ever raced and the rzr build is abou 70% done but I would like to know more about the whole experience of getting a team ready what would I need to carry etc

JerryB

Congrats on taking the plunge. Really depends on which series and which races you plan to attend. Parker 250 this year had just the main pit and one alternate pit. We only manned the main pit, didn't have enough bodies to cover both, worked out just fine (we also didn't have any mechanical issues). Laughlin, only 17 or so mile course, one stop, enough said. You start running into manpower and spare parts issues when you talk about SS300 or V2R because everything and everyone can get spread out so far. Not even going to get into Baja and the support you would want there.

BITD or SCORE is where you want to be if you're looking for the "big race" and lots of competitors at every event, however, do not overlook some of the smaller series out there. DP4 has been slowly building a great UTV only series with entries growing, AVE I hear puts on a good event, AMA D38, MORE, SNORE all of them will give you the same fun for A LOT less money out of your pocket on entry fees. Some of these promoters put on shorter events also which in the long run can save you some bucks as you're not putting so many miles which equals wear and tear on the car.

Parts on board. I carry a spare rear axle, belts, ball joints, misc bolts, antenna, etc. for on the course repairs, but weight starts to become an issue when you go overboard so don't go overkill. In the pit we have a full set of axles, a spare diff, filters, driveshaft, hubs, and at least 4 spare tires.

If you've got 8 committed people to help out, you're already half way there. Hardest part is usually getting enough people to come out on a regular basis to help out....unless you've got a budget that allows for you to pay for gas, food, hotels, etc.... we're made up of family and friends who for the most part float their own expenses, bring our RV's to stay in. We feed and provide all the libations they can handle tho!!! Good luck!

jon coleman

wow 8 team members, your team racing t shirt budget is up there, ( team meetings/ race strategy partys , oh And the cool t shirts,keep the team glued together.make everyone feel like very crucial, which they are, to the teams goals, if your team has its act together, and through networking& word on the street about the team, stk sXs is just a stepping stone to who knows....oh, one more thing, start small & remember, this is not gonna pay the bills, keep it fun,rule number one

Sergiopena25

wow 8 team members, your team racing t shirt budget is up there, ( team meetings/ race strategy partys , oh And the cool t shirts,keep the team glued together.make everyone feel like very crucial, which they are, to the teams goals, if your team has its act together, and through networking& word on the street about the team, stk sXs is just a stepping stone to who knows....oh, one more thing, start small & remember, this is not gonna pay the bills, keep it fun,rule number one
Well here’s the thing I’m hoping everyone takes this as serious as me but a little info I’m 24 years old and well I’m supporting all of this no mom and dad money it’s just a little confusing on how to set up the pits so I need certified gas tanks to fill it up we’re do I get the fuel carpets I wanna see if I can help someone out and put for them so I know what to look for and how it goes down again I’m the only one spending out of my pocket I’m going half on the Parker pumper set from rugged with my co driver and as well as in the harnesses other than that I told him we go half on entry fees and gas for the pitting part again I have never raced but racin this class I’m sure there not too long right

jon coleman

no racing at all?, hmmm, well your doing the right thing, ask lottsa questions, fueling has changed a little i believe since my last race12', best thing is get the score rule book, go to race as a helper and take notes, and buy good fire extinguishers for everything& everyone!, there are threads here on rdc about re fueling and the likes im pretty sure, heck, if not, start one!, good luck, one last thing, be clear to All the team on co riding/ co Driving ect ect, nothing worse than assuming your next in line for the coveted left seat, then the other teammate gets it, once friction starts, the dream fades

JerryB

"Certified gas tanks" ??? I assume your referring to dump cans. Yes you need fuel rated containers, there are many dump cans out there you can use, from metal to plastic (I recently saw someone with a bunch for sale in the classifieds). As far as fuel carpets you can use a roll of old house carpet or by some carpet floor mats from home depot, just needs to catch most of what may spill on the ground (no certified fuel mats). Depending on the series you will need up to a 20lb fire extinguisher in the pit, manned while fueling, other series are okay with 10lb or two 5lb, just check their rule books, all of which are posted on their websites. BITD also requires a fueling apron, fire suit and head protection for the person fueling the car. You'll have to look at SCORE rules for current requirements as I have not been involved with SCORE in a long time. As far as setting up the pits, you can work that out in your driveway with your guys. Just practice a few mock pit stops, tire changes, dry run on fueling, etc and see what works best for you.

It sounds like you're doing this on a budget, very cool - most of us are, with that in mind be realistic so as not to take all the fun out of it......which is the whole point we all got started desert racing in the first place (most fun you can have with your pants on). So like my earlier post said, look at the smaller series. BITD SS300 entry fee for Pro Turbo is $1260 (plus the racing-trax so add another $300 to that) and $880 for sportsmen (again add $300). Plus you'll need your membership and your co-driver, plus your GPS tracker. You still haven't loaded the car on the trailer, filled the fuel tank, or even left your house and you're almost at 2K! It gets expensive quickly...... VS some of the smaller series. DP4 and AVE pro class I believe is $400 or so to enter and about $200 or so for sportsmen. As far as the races not being too long. SS300 you're doing the same mileage as everyone else 300 miles.... V2R same thing only this time 500 or so miles. BAJA/SCORE? they don't cut UTV short, you do the same mileage as everyone else. Most of the DP4 races run right in the neighborhood of 150 miles while the AVE races are run on time limits, as many miles/loops as you can get into the 4 or 5 hour time limit they set for the race; usually around a 40 or so mile loop.

Where are you located? We will be doing some of these DP4 and AVE races throughout the year, your more than welcome to stop by and see how we run things. As you can see, each series has some similarities and differences in their rules. This also goes for the car and safety equipment, seats, fuel cell, cage, etc. so be familiar with the rule book of whatever series your planning on running. Nothing worse than driving all the way out to Vegas to show up at tech and get turned away because your car is not legal. If you build your car to BITD or SCORE rules you will be legal just about anywhere else (that i'm aware of) Again you will have just as much fun racing here as you would in either BITD or SCORE

jon coleman

start small, finish small races first!, and remember, pit stops are like the driving range, easy slow full swing and the ball goes 300 plus yards, a spastic, quick, outta control fast swing and ball might go 50 yards,, the harder & faster you swing the shorter the ball flies,.Ricky ' the bad boy' Johnson said of Carlsbad race track, you gotta slow down to go fast, same with pitstops...

U922race

Hi Sergio, Im with you on living the dream of racing. I race the rally class in BITD series! It is very fun and competitive! My advice would be to go help out a team with pits, get an idea of how it all works, from registration, technical inspection and how they run the pit stops. the basic tech requirements are in the rules https://bitd.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020_UTV_Rulebook.pdf is your rzr stock? you will need vhf radio, horn, Kc lights blue flashing light wire to turn on with ignition, must be within date 5 point harnesses, sfi 3.2a/5 driving suits, head and neck restraints. Pits must have either 10lb or 20lb fire extinguisher, fuel mat I use a tarp, vhf radio. We fill using 5 gallon dump cans, person doing fuel is in fire suit, apron and a helmet. Then timing transponder $100 lasts for 2yrs, you buy that at the race In tech. Some races require a push to pass unit. Which you use to alert of an accident or when passing. that you rent it’s just shy of 300 per race. I usually have about 4 guys in pits. 1 person must hold fire extinguisher during fueling! I carry a rear axle, ball joint, belt and tools. you would also want a gps of some sort, I run LeadNav on an iPad, but also have a Lowrance in the car as backup. Racing isn’t cheap. But if it’s your dream. Then go for it! Have any questions just ask.

Hey Sergio, congrats on taking the plunge. I am also doing the same this year with a 2020 Can Am X3 RC. I have generally the same questions as well as I know how to build a car, but am trying to figure out all of the logistics for fueling, pits, etc.

I also co-drive for my friend in the AVE UTV series, so maybe I will see you out there @JerryB. We are in a 2019 RZR Turbo S in that series. I plan on primarily running BITD events in the X3 but may also do DP4.

I don't have 8 friends in and have done everything for my car essentially solo so far, but am recruiting a few buddies for support. The best part about offroad racing is the camaraderie though, as our first AVE race we had a whole crew of guys from another team help provide pit support for us as well. They were awesome and definitely played a key part to a podium in our first race despite losing nav. on the first lap.

@U922race Regarding navigation - what LeadNav subscription do you use and on what device? I have been going back and forth between an iPad with GPS antenna running LeadNav and a Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2. I want both ideally for redundancy, but to get me started will most likely have one.

We ran the MobArmor app our first race on an iPad mini and it was absolutely useless for us. We ended up doing an entire race without Nav and it definitely cost us positions to say the least.

michael.gonzalez

As a former employee of Mob Armor, I would recommend LeadNav for navigation use over the Mob Armor app any day.
Mob Armor makes great hardware, but their software has room for improvement.

I use the basic $20 package of LeadNav on my iPhone X and iPad Air 2.

novaman64

As a former employee of Mob Armor, I would recommend LeadNav for navigation use over the Mob Armor app any day.
Mob Armor makes great hardware, but their software has room for improvement.

I use the basic $20 package of LeadNav on my iPhone X and iPad Air 2.
Havent raced with Lead Nav, but have mapped out some routes in google, imported them to lead nav, then practiced running them in the dez and had good luck with it. Running on a 6th gen iPad with Dual GPS puck.

JerryB

Thanks for the input @michael.gonzalez and @novaman64. It sounds like I will try LeadNav due to its lower initial investment and can step up to Lowrance if needed.
I haven't tried the LeadNav. I actually have the setup for it, but just run the Lowrance by itself. I have been told, the Ipad can be difficult to see in the daylight and unless you're "pre-running" to take advantage of marking all of the turns/dangers/whatever else you want to mark, then it's no better than using a Lowrance GPS. Again, I have no experience actually using the LeadNav, just what I've been told. I really have no complaints with just using the Lowrance...knock on wood. Whatever system you end up using, is only as good as who is sitting in the passenger seat.

We ran Parker 250 in January, but as I can't fund an entire BITD season right now, I plan on running the rest of the year with DP4, possibly throw in an AVE event here and there and maybe another BITD race at the end of the year, depending on what the schedule works out to be looking like when this Coronavirus BS is all over with. Definitely swing by and see us, we usually have a few people there helping us out and are more than happy to help out if you're low on support.

JerryB

Uploaded new avatar photo now that it looks a little more presentable, all this downtime got a new wrap on the car from Kasch Graphics in Rialto...... Merica!

U922race

@U922race Regarding navigation - what LeadNav subscription do you use and on what device? I have been going back and forth between an iPad with GPS antenna running LeadNav and a Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2. I want both ideally for redundancy, but to get me started will most likely have one.

We ran the MobArmor app our first race on an iPad mini and it was absolutely useless for us. We ended up doing an entire race without Nav and it definitely cost us positions to say the least.
I run the advanced pack subsription on iPad 5th gen, I’m not great with it and never get a chance to prerun, so we just use bitd notes. I’ve had codrivers complain about glare, but I don’t know im busy driving. Lol. I used to run it on my phone when trail riding and I loved it! i go in an download the tiles so we have satelite imagery even without service. i don’t have a puck Im sure that would be nice, but my budget is tight.

U922race

I haven't tried the LeadNav. I actually have the setup for it, but just run the Lowrance by itself. I have been told, the Ipad can be difficult to see in the daylight and unless you're "pre-running" to take advantage of marking all of the turns/dangers/whatever else you want to mark, then it's no better than using a Lowrance GPS. Again, I have no experience actually using the LeadNav, just what I've been told. I really have no complaints with just using the Lowrance...knock on wood. Whatever system you end up using, is only as good as who is sitting in the passenger seat.

We ran Parker 250 in January, but as I can't fund an entire BITD season right now, I plan on running the rest of the year with DP4, possibly throw in an AVE event here and there and maybe another BITD race at the end of the year, depending on what the schedule works out to be looking like when this Coronavirus BS is all over with. Definitely swing by and see us, we usually have a few people there helping us out and are more than happy to help out if you're low on support.
How did you do in Parker?

JerryB

How did you do in Parker?
Started 19th finished 18th (Pro Turbo). Gave up about 12 minutes on first fuel stop, co driver had a little issue so we had to swap out and adjust the belts for his replacement and backed off probably 10-15% on the third lap afraid I was going to tear up the front diff with the course having gotten so rough....... should have just stayed in the throttle. This was my first time racing in a UTV, aside from a short D38 race I did in December for a little seat time so I can't complain. The car is dialed, just need more time behind the wheel. Prior to this I'd never even ridden in a SXS much less raced one. Turns out they're a blast!

U922race

yea that happens, put ya behind but better to get a finish than dnf. That’s awesome i will Parker was very rough for us, took it easy first two laps, then turned it up third lap after replacing two belts. we were able to catch and pass a few cars and pulled a third place! My first podium! Didn’t know and didn’t attend awards. found out the next day! But still excited! My first race ever was ave pure 150 in 2016, then nothing till last year ran utvwc and can’t stop now! Lol. I really need to do long travel and shock tuning. Hard to keep up with these 72 inch wide cars.

Yes they are addicting! good luck running dp4. Looks like a great series! Maybe I will fit one in!

jon coleman

does bitd still Make you go up on stage( top 3 in cls) at awards ceremony, and stick a mike in your hand , aaa aah , bla , aaaaaa''', ( more scared looking out over a thousand racers& family& friends than the race,and seeing all the pros Looking at Me,,,,aaaAAA:eek: