• Forum membership has its advantages....

Stolen items during Baja 500 contingency

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
It seems that the thefts were diminishing until just a couple years ago. I had stuff stolen out of a prerunner AS WE PULLED UP TO THE FRONT OF THE CASA MAR back in 1988. Kids grabbed my buddies bag and ran off with it. Ensenada was really bad back then. 20 years later, not as bad as real jobs and a better economy seemed to be building in town and folks had other ways to earn a living. No problems for 10 years, but in the last few years, we have had some stuff stolen out of a chase parked in front of the restaurant we were eating in. Thanks to friends like Dave Snoddy, we were still able to run the pit with borrowed tools. That seems to be the key. Tools are easy to resell down there. Now we mostly park in secured at the hotel we stay at and walk. Plan ahead.
Unfortunately... Theft is part of the Baja experience... Just a bad part... I was down in Bahia LA out in front of the Pemex.. Dude was selling random Snap on wrenches, sockets , screw drivers... Like 2.00 each ... Obviously I passed on the deal.. Sad.. But could help but shake my head and chuckle a bit.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

SPROCKET

My Dad always says remember Crash. "Stolen, broken, lost, dirty thats how everthing comes back from any off road race. If you can't live with that then don't play the game"

redline

We luckily haven't had too many issues in any where in Baja besides SAN FELIPE! this past year was the first time in a long time that we didnt come home missing a few thousand dollars in items stolen. I love SF but definitely need to be just as careful there as Ensenada. I think the laid back feel kinda catches ya slacking. Its not the entirety of the population, just a few scumbags that make everyone else look bad.

biggjim

I had my gear bag stolen along with my codrivers gear bag last year out of the back of my truck.

Oh wait, that was right in front of my house in Carlsbad. #thanksobama
I get it....thefts happen every where, every day, regardless. But I Guarantee they they dont happen as quick as they do in baja during a race. Our truck was parked for 5-10 minutes before it was jacked on the main road in the middle of the day....with us watching. My only regret when we got it back was we weren't fast enough to catch the guy and stomp his guts out.

Last edited:

Jay-Dub

I was staying in the El Cortez Hotel in San Felipe, you know the place with the wall around it and a guard shack that you have to pass through to get in. I was staying in one of the cabanas with my truck in view from my bed and I slept with the door open (well the driver door was in view from my bed because you have to park very close to the door, maybe 3' from the door), I woke up to some noise outside at dusk. I jumped up and found the hotel security guard starting to move some things around in the back of the truck. I had two motorcycles and all of our gear in it while we were prerunning. I don't think there is any "safe place" down there, trust nobody. I am not saying everyone is a criminal and I enjoy going to Baja, I just don't trust the security guards any more than I do some bum off of the street. From my gut feeling and experience in Baja, the bigger the town/city the more dangerous it is.

kim

Rescue 3
I had two lap top computers that I use for running in SCORE OPS, my purse with my wallet, passport, bank cards, cash and race radio stolen out of a truck that I was literally standing 20 feet away from.

We were in the dirt lot where Baja Pits, Checkers and the gas trailers were. Not a lot of cars were coming or going. I was f*cking HOT!!!!!

dan200

#BSF200
I was staying in the El Cortez Hotel in San Felipe, you know the place with the wall around it and a guard shack that you have to pass through to get in. I was staying in one of the cabanas with my truck in view from my bed and I slept with the door open (well the driver door was in view from my bed because you have to park very close to the door, maybe 3' from the door), I woke up to some noise outside at dusk. I jumped up and found the hotel security guard starting to move some things around in the back of the truck. I had two motorcycles and all of our gear in it while we were prerunning. I don't think there is any "safe place" down there, trust nobody. I am not saying everyone is a criminal and I enjoy going to Baja, I just don't trust the security guards any more than I do some bum off of the street. From my gut feeling and experience in Baja, the bigger the town/city the more dangerous it is.
Wow, we stay there a lot. Never had a worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Sounds like we need to ban together and set up a few stings at the 1000. Maybe park a van next to sting trucks and grab the pricks and take them for a ride out to a remote pit!

Jeepspeedster

They took a few $$ of mine at Paris De Noche, and I am sure it will happen again at the 1000,,, its all part of the Baja experience ;))

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
I get it....thefts happen every where, every day, regardless. But I Guarantee they they dont happen as quick as they do in baja during a race. Our truck was parked for 5-10 minutes before it was jacked on the main road in the middle of the day....with us watching. My only regret when we got it back was we weren't fast enough to catch the guy and stomp his guts out.
Yeah they do, at our warehouse we had some chicks steal a Civic, they were in and out quick and it was around 1:30 pm in the middle of a big street in Ontario, we had a couple bobtails stolen on different ocassions

ACME

Advice: USE A STEERING WHEEL LOCK LIKE THE CLUB! On my jeep we use a bike cable lock to the roll cage as the club I have wouldn't fit so there's another idea for ya...Knock on wood, they see it, they seem to walk away to find an easier target. keep in mind thief's want fast, in/out and per a cop who's a friend in the LBC: They usually only carry a screw driver and vice grips as a pair of bolt cutters or a hacksaw isn't very concealable and if it's going to take 5 mins as opposed to 1-2, they usually move on.

We've gone down for a long time and lost nothing to date (Yeah, I know I'm screwed now!). We cable lock everything in the bed, gear bags in the locked camper shell or cab and hide the radios/gps etc... if it's exposed in the vehicle or bed it's fair game to a thief and if it's easy, its an inviting target...

mp_tx

RE: vehicle thefts. Are the thieves bypassing security measures--kill switch, for example? I don't think I would take a vehicle to Baja without some kind of kill switch device hidden in the vehicle.

MARXICO

I just got this off FB this morning Parker Pumper is up at the top of northern mexico also known as Sonoma for the nascar event this weekend with there tow vehicle .Truck was stolen trailer is at the track.

ATTENTION NOR CAL FRIENDS!

If you see this truck today, CALL ME!!! Some idiot stole it from a hotel parking lot in Vallejo where Harold Nicks & Terri Jamison Nicks are staying for a race in Sonoma. Stolen at 2am according to surveillance

Last edited:

CZLou

I've been lucky and haven't had anything stolen in years in Baja. But again, I keep my stuff locked down and out of sight. I always pull my fuel pump fuse (The Truck will turn over but will not start ) when i leave my truck for even a taco. LOL

TecateRay

SCORE Baja Europa in Spain, niceeee.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
You don't need SCORE for European Baja races. There is already a series using the Baja name in Spain, Italy, Portugal and a few other counties. The bikes are the same but the cars are more like the Rally Raid car and trucks you see in the Dakar race.
I attended the Portugal race in October 2009 with some local friends. We pitted a few bikes and spectated the rest of the race - we had a ton of fun.

TecateRay

RE: vehicle thefts. Are the thieves bypassing security measures--kill switch, for example? I don't think I would take a vehicle to Baja without some kind of kill switch device hidden in the vehicle.

This is an important statement. I personally have two separate engine disabling devices as well as a brake pedal to steering wheel lock for when I'm really nervous. They can still break in and steal goodies in the cab or try to get into my double locked camper, but I try to be extra careful what is left in sight of the casual thief.