STOP AB 1058 NOW!

Paige

Reaction
This goes beyond saving the desert ~ Martin told me about this and then I saw an ad from Cal Worthington in the La TIMES - for more info go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wedrive.org>www.wedrive.org</A> - this is something everyone needs to pay attention to!!

Assembly Bill 1058 spells trouble
for California consumers and taxpayers.
This legislation orders state bureaucrats to reduce greenhouse gases from California cars and trucks. It doesn’t say how. AB 1058 gives the California Air Resources Board a blank check to decide what you drive and how many miles you drive.

AB 1058 will limit your choice of vehicles. It really is an attempt to force Californians into smaller, less powerful cars. That’s not fair to low and middle income families and working Californians.

Tell them to STOP AB 1058 NOW!
AB 1058 Passes California State Senate; Heads for Assembly Monday. Bill on “Fast Track” to Governor’s Desk. Call or Write Your Assembly Representative Today to Ask Them to Vote “No” on AB 1058.

Phil Isenberg, spokesman for the Coalition Against AB 1058 Coalition, issued the following statement in response to the Senate passage of AB 1058, authored by Assembly Member Fran Pavley of Agoura Hills.

“It is unfortunate that the thin majority of Senators who voted for this bill did not recognize the pitfalls in Assembly Bill 1058, which is on a fast track in the Legislature. If enacted, this measure sets the stage for huge increases in the cost of owning and driving vehicles in California, particularly minivans, pickup trucks and SUVs. If AB 1058 becomes law, California motorists could face billions of dollars in new costs for greenhouse gas regulations, even though such regulations would provide no net benefit to California.

“We strongly urge that the Assembly reject this bill when it comes to them for concurrence, which could be as early as Monday. AB 1058 is a vague, extreme measure that would give broad new powers to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to cut greenhouse gases from California cars and trucks, despite the fact that no practical, affordable technology exists that would eliminate these gases from vehicle exhaust. The only way to reduce these gases is to reduce gasoline consumption by mandating less driving and smaller cars.

“A recent (March 2002) joint report by CARB and the California Energy Commission offers some insights into several strategies to reduce gasoline consumption, and thereby reducing carbon dioxide:

• Another 50-cent-per-gallon increase in gasoline taxes.
• A two-cent tax on every mile driven for all passenger vehicles.
• Extra fees of $3,500 on minivans, light duty trucks, sport utility vehicles, and others to discourage consumers from buying them.
• Reduction of the speed limit to 55 miles per hour.
• Recommending new designs for vehicles and engines.

“If all these measures were implemented, the cost to consumers would be more than $15 billion a year. The Pavley Tax is a blank check that would hurt low-income Californians the worst, because it would dramatically increase the costs of driving for everyone regardless of income.

The Coalition Against AB 1058 is growing rapidly. A partial list of its members includes: the United Auto Workers, California Chamber of Commerce, the California Manufacturers and Technology Association, the California Taxpayers Association, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, the California Motor Car Dealer Association, the Association of American Railroads, the California Building Industry Association, the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association, the California Farm Bureau Federation, the Specialty Equipment Market Association, the Good Sam Club, and the California Association of Four-Wheel Drive Clubs.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Ok I sent 4 out. I think this bill is BS. Here's a good illustration of my thoughts

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

BradM

Reaction
Thanks for keeping us informed Paige. The wedrive website makes it very easy and quick for everyone to submit comments on the pending legislation to their local representatives and the governor. It would be nice to see the dezert people get behind this one.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
They run radio commercials against 1058

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I read an article in the Sunday paper that said pollution and dust from China and Asia is becoming a problem here in the U.S. After reducing smog levels here by 25%, the pollution from China has basically wiped out the reduction. Maybe they can sell the cars to China instead.

rdc

Reaction
A recent (March 2002) joint report by CARB and the California Energy Commission offers some insights into several strategies to reduce gasoline consumption, and thereby reducing carbon dioxide:

Does that mean we should stop breathing too? Or was that supose to say Carbon Monoxide? If it is carbon dioxide then can't we just grow more plants? I for one am being over run by the plants in my apartment...

What about using that money to put in propane/ natural gas filling stations in??? I would convert my truck if there was easy acess to place to fill it up.

There are other ways to fix the polution put out by cars. This is just a way to control us! Why is this country turning into a communist state???? And why are the people just going to let it happen!

Whats next? Telling us what we can eat to limit how much we fart????

THIS IS FLAT OUT SCARY!

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

Paige

Reaction
Re: STOP AB 1058 NKW!

Here is some more up to date info ~

Their latest ploy is AB 1058 (Pavley – D)
AB 1058 will give un-elected bureaucrats at the California Air Resources Board (CARB) the ability to levy additional taxes on all minivans, light pickups and SUVs in order to help reduce “global warming” by reducing “greenhouse gases”. Never mind that global warming is not a scientifically proven fact and that there is great debate over whether or not it even exists. Because California is so big, according to the sponsors of this bill, we are home to 25% of the world’s greenhouse gases.

A large coalition of diverse groups including motorists, businesses, labor unions, and now off road groups, are opposing this bill because it would allow the CARB to impose additional taxes on your vehicles.

Some believe CARB, an un-elected body, will levy a 2-cent per mile travel tax and a 50-cent per gallon additional tax on gasoline for larger vehicles.

This bill is up for a vote in the State Assembly on Thursday, May 9th. This bill has already passed out of the Senate, after being gutted and amended, on a straight party line vote, Democrats - aye, Republicans - no.

If we are to stop this bill in the Assembly, you MUST call the Democrat Assemblymembers listed below. They are our only hope to kill this bill before it gets to the Governor.

Please act today or we all lose.

District/Party Name Phone Region (County)
AD 58 (D) Thomas Calderon (916) 319-2058 Los Angeles
AD 11 (D) Joe Canciamilla (916) 319-2011 Contra Costa
AD 26 (D) Dennis Cardoza (916) 319-2026 Merced, San Joaquin, Stanislaus
AD 57 (D) Ed Chavez (916) 319-2057 Los Angeles
AD 49 (D) Judy Chu (916) 319-2049 Los Angeles
AD 24 (D) Rebecca Cohn (916) 319-2024 Santa Clara
AD 69 (D) Lou Correa (916) 319-2069 Orange
AD 23 (D) Manny Diaz (916) 319-2023 Santa Clara
AD 50 (D) Marco Firebaugh (916) 319-2050 Los Angeles
AD 30 (D) Dean Florez (916) 319-2030 Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera
AD 43 (D) Dario Frommer (916) 319-2043 Los Angeles
AD 76 (D) Christina Kehoe (916) 319-2076 San Diego
AD 17 (D) Barbara Matthews (916) 319-2017 San Joaquin
AD 61 (D) Gloria Negrete McLeod (916) 319-2061 Los Angeles, San Bernardino
AD 55 (D) Jenny Oropezo (916) 319-2055 Los Angeles
AD 75 (D) Simon Salinas (916) 319-2075 Monterey, San Beneto, Santa Cruz
AD 21 (D) Joe Simitian (916) 319-2021 San Mateo, Santa Clara
AD 79 (D) Juan Vargas (916) 319-2079 San Diego

Paige

Reaction
If anyone gets the LA times - there is a great opinion article about this bill titled - "State's Auto Emissions Bill is Just So Much Gas." by Benjamin Zycher a fellow at the Pacific Research Institute.

One part of the article reports that legislators in Sac are allowed to choose the autos that the state will purchase for them and according to AP (Associated Press) almost half have picked low-gas mileage SUV and pick-ups and most of the rest picked sedans with lower than average fuel efficiency - can they spell hypocrisy?

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
The OC Register had a similar commentary on this issue as well. This writer noted the huge state deficit as one of the underlying factors of this bill. He also argued that the whole "Greenhouse" effect has not been scientifically proven! This effect is just what mother earth does ever so often. Gets cool - gets warm - and so on. Furthermore, the greenhouse thing would only be affected less than one tenth of one percent or something along those lines. Damn Politicians!!!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
SO if I call all the D's above I should just say

Please vote no on AB 1058 it hurts more then it helps?

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

Paige

Reaction
There is still time to write or call on this - it goes to assembly Monday May 13.

Paige

Reaction
This thing still hasn't gone in - it says May 20 now - if you haven't participated please do so!

BradM

Reaction
I wrote a letter to my best (only) liberal representative Hanna Beth Jackson. A few days later I received a letter that appeared to be personal which outlined a bunch of BS about how global warming is causing the temperature to rise by something like 10 degrees per year and that nearly 70% of all of the emissions that are destroying the ozone layer are from California. Needless to say, she closed by thanking me for my input and assuring me that she would support the measure for the good of all mankind. It was such a load of s h i t.

I knew that it was futile to write the letter to someone like her but I felt compelled as always to try to make a difference. It is discouraging to know that we are completely ignored by our liberal representatives. The absolute worse is boxer and feinstein.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
right, 10 degrees per year! Thats real belivable

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

rdc

Reaction
Brad could I get a copy of that letter?? Or could you post it on the board? If we were getting that kind of warming I would be out trunkin it right now instead of waiting to go in with just a spring suit!!!!!

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

BradM

Reaction
I think I filed it away where I felt it belonged at the time. I look around and see if I kept it.

Paige

Reaction
Brad - at least you tried! 10 degrees per year? - she is living in a dream world - I have heard reports that the earth is only 1-3 degrees hotter than it was 100 years ago. There is very little real science behind this - it is a ploy to fill up our depleted state budget as far as I can tell.

If you do locate it - please do post it - I would be interested in reading it.

BradM

Reaction
I have heard the same thing, that the global warming is all a hoax and that there is not real evidence to support the claims. When I get a response like this, it is not the first, it just pisses me off more. Sometimes I don't know if it pours fuel on the fire or water. I guess it depends on all the other things going on at present. It is just hard for me to believe that anyone can be that ignorant and be elected to public office. It just confirms that the majority of our population are mindless followers that the liberals continue to seek out. Worse yet, they continue to be successful at reaching them.

JCA

Reaction
Found this on the web. I guess it all comes down to where you get your info from. Like I have said before, there are no good satistics because there so many diffrent numbers thrown around.

According to Accu-Weather, the world’s leading commercial forecaster, "Global air temperatures as measured by land-based weather stations show an increase of about 0.45 degrees Celsius over the past century. This may be no more than normal climatic variation...[and] several biases in the data may be responsible for some of this increase

www.andrewsracing.com

frankh

Reaction
Sounds like if there were no car we would go back to the ice age. Oh that right there were no cars back then?