• Forum membership has its advantages....

strait axle 4wd build up

Stan

Just some hypothetical type stuff I wanted to throw out for your enjoyment, comments, and badmouthing. If you had an older, fullsize spring over straight axle 4wd and was going to build it into a semi-serious dez runner; what suggestions, tips, changes would you make to this vehicle?

Stan, living in the past.

"I love donuts. My arse is bigger because of them; but I'm not a Five-O."

Donahoe

Stan,
Shocks are the key with leaf springs. Straight axle front ends can be Really good and extreemly reliable. You should contat Jeff Crosby at DEAVER SPRING (714) 542-3703. Let him know what you want to do and he can set you up with a nice set of springs. Shocks will be the key to the ride. So meny people are hung up on wheel travel... More is better?? This is not always the case... Dont think MORE... Think perfect... Perfect spring Rate.. Perfect shock Valving... Most of the little 7s trucks racing right now have under 12" of wheel travel yet they can still take a 3ft whoop at a good clip of speed. SHOCKS Are the key... Get a good set of shocks Like Sway-a-ways.. By-pass is better. If you get 12" of travel out of the front and 18" or so out of the rear with a good set of shocks you will have a great runner there... If you Plan on Launching the thing I would suggest Beefing up the front axle as well. Good luck... If you need anything else give us a call..(714) 632-3033 We have done a bunch of Straight axle racing :) Good Luck

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Klaus

Administrator
The right spring rate is key.

I attempted to do it myself without explaining much and relying a lot on someone selling me something quick. I phone ordered my leafs for my 4wd blazer from National Springs. It took an extremely long time for them to show up and I did not get the travel I was hoping for. I am mostly to blame here.

If I would have to do it again I would opt for a 2wd a-arm conversion. But if it had to be 4 wheel leafs..then see if you can move mounting points further apart. That will allow you to run longer springs. Maybe go under the axle if possible.

Do your resource before deciding on a route. Talk to some of the truck guys that run leafs. I know Bill Markel does in a mini truck.

Donahoe

I ran Leafs for a long time... SO did my Dad...TALK TO JEFF AT DEAVER!! Trust me... Dont phone it in go see him with your truck.. National spring is getting to big to care... Deaver is not.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Stan

Klaus,
Are you planning on being at the Swap Meet? If I get to go, I sure would like to give your Blazer the once, twice, thrice over.

Stan

Klaus

Administrator
Blazer is parked in Costa Mesa without an engine right now.

I am in the process to get it going again and then it will be for sale.
I don't mind you coming over to look it over any time though.

Stan

Klaus,
Did you put on longer shackles on the front? Also, did you do a shackle flip on the rear?
Something I've been thinking about, don't know if it's a good idea or not. Bolting on a 2 inch lowering shackle on the rear to allow the use of a longer arch spring, but the shackle flip sounds better, am I right? One more question; did you go with a longer spring or did you stick with the stock length?

Stan