Street legal bikes, have a question?

Dezertpilot

Ok I have a street legal ktm 530exc-r that was purchased in June 08'. When I bought the bike reg was $110 and this year it was $150. My parents just (Well in 2 weeks) moved to Northern Idaho and I have the opportunity to register it to their place of residence. Lets say I sell the bike in the future or want to re-register it in CA, will I have any problems? I am thinking not because it was a street legal model to begin with.

Edit: I just looked up what it would take on the Idaho DMV site its only $15, Im thinking I might have to register my truck their also as its is $24 compared to probably now over $300. Man I hate Ca.....

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Ok I have a street legal ktm 530exc-r that was purchased in June 08'. When I bought the bike reg was $110 and this year it was $150. My parents just (Well in 2 weeks) moved to Northern Idaho and I have the opportunity to register it to their place of residence. Lets say I sell the bike in the future or want to re-register it in CA, will I have any problems? I am thinking not because it was a street legal model to begin with.

Edit: I just looked up what it would take on the Idaho DMV site its only $15, Im thinking I might have to register my truck their also as its is $24 compared to probably now over $300. Man I hate Ca.....
I think you answered your own question. That was easy.

Dezertpilot

I think you answered your own question. That was easy.
LOL the reason I ask is because I know if I sell it then someone tries to register it in CA I am curious if they will make the new owner smog it. Well it doesnt have any smog equipment on it anymore.

motoman29

as of now, bikes are exempt from smog testing.

be careful, if you have a vehicle registered to you in another state and a CA DL, you might get popped for "fees due". that means that they will write you a ticket for all the DMV fees plus a penalty!

if you go the ID route, either get an ID DL or register the bikes in someone else's name.

partybarge_pilot

Dude, your a college student from ID going to school in SoCal LOL. Just get the ID DL and it will be all good. As long as everything has the same address in Idaho and your packing a current student ID you shouldn't have any problems if you get pulled over.

Dezertpilot

Dude, your a college student from ID going to school in SoCal LOL. Just get the ID DL and it will be all good. As long as everything has the same address in Idaho and your packing a current student ID you shouldn't have any problems if you get pulled over.
Nice:D So nothing funny will pop up in the system having both a CA DL and ID DL? I do go to college though so....

Dezertpilot

motoman29

I have 2, and CA knows about my other one.

I have a CA CDL w/endorsements, and a regular AZ DL.

CA rules just say you have to surrender your out of state DL. I had my CA first, and then got my AZ.:D

Chase 2

I had Montana and Calif DL at the same time for several years. I had misplaced my CA DL and had to get a duplicate. On an extended stay at my place in Montana I got a Montana DL. Sometime later I found my CA DL. Ca simply didn't send a re-newal when the duplicate expired. Montana DLs expire in 8 years. Montana is real harsh on people who try to get a license to avoid out of state hunting license fees. When I started flying I found out that the FAA checks a national list of DLs for DUIs prior to issuing a pilots license. One good thing is that Montana has a golden sticker for older vehicles which you get with a one time fee and that's it for as long as you own the vehicle. So guess where my XR-600 is plated.

Total Loss

I have heard that if you get pulled over with a Kali d/l and have an out of state reg. on your vehicle and it is registered to you- you can get popped. Anyone confirm that?

Chase 2

I have heard that if you get pulled over with a Kali d/l and have an out of state reg. on your vehicle and it is registered to you- you can get popped. Anyone confirm that?
He can write you but it can be fought. All you need to do is prove that you have an address in both states. You tell them that you go back and forth constantly and it is unfair to make you re-register every 3-4 months.

partybarge_pilot

He can write you but it can be fought. All you need to do is prove that you have an address in both states. You tell them that you go back and forth constantly and it is unfair to make you re-register every 3-4 months.
This is where the student ID comes in handy............

motoman29

like I said, "Fees Due". Just like if you have a camper shell on your pickup and a plate with 3 letters, and then take the shell off. You then get a ticket for fee's due to pay the difference between RV/Camper plates and commercial pickup plates.

Good Luck fighting it, it would cost you more in time, than it would be worth. IMO.

Dezertpilot

I had Montana and Calif DL at the same time for several years. I had misplaced my CA DL and had to get a duplicate. On an extended stay at my place in Montana I got a Montana DL. Sometime later I found my CA DL. Ca simply didn't send a re-newal when the duplicate expired. Montana DLs expire in 8 years. Montana is real harsh on people who try to get a license to avoid out of state hunting license fees. When I started flying I found out that the FAA checks a national list of DLs for DUIs prior to issuing a pilots license. One good thing is that Montana has a golden sticker for older vehicles which you get with a one time fee and that's it for as long as you own the vehicle. So guess where my XR-600 is plated.
Ok I am gonna just register the bike and truck to my parents address in northern Idaho and inquire about getting a DL from Idaho. I will use the going back and forth every 4-5 months trick. I am going to school, we will see how this all pans out when I go to do this in February.