• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Street legal

jeff

Does it currently have a VIN that's in the CA DMV?

Aloha

DeRaRa

About 5 years ago my son bought an ex Class 5 Baja Bug that hadn't been registered for 30 years. We went to the DMV and showed them the pictures of the bug told them the story, and how we wanted to make it street legal again, all we had was a bill of sale. They gave us a list of companies that you hire that come to your home and do a Vin verification, and will also tell you everything you have to perform to the vehicle to make it road legal. We made arrangements with one of the companies they came to the house spent 30min inspecting the vehicle gave us a list of what we had to do to make it street legal, once we completed all of the items they came back and verified everything, and gave us the paperwork to take to the DMV, which we did and got our plates and tags. I believe it was under $200 for the vin verification. I'm sure they would do the same thing for a green sticker buggy, I believe its called an REG 31 form or something like that.

partybarge_pilot

Be aware, a SPCN titled vehicle must be smoged regardless of the year originally built. It will go off the year of the motor in most cases.

gwizz

eh my old boss had a plated sand car. it was "legal" on paper only. chp gave him crap all the time about open wheels and wheelies. while it did get him in "trouble" it also generated business with the very same chp and others lol but ya i wouldnt suggest it unless you have a sliver tongue.

Crusty Shellback

SPCN does not have to be smogged if done right. It's an SB100 registration.
If the car is presmog, then you register it the year of the car, not the motor. Replica car builders do it all the time. I looked into it when I was going to build a Cobra replica.

partybarge_pilot

SPCN and smog. Unless something has changed real recently, My statement above still stands. I went through the ref and tried everything to get my last glass car around it. Finally ended up buying a 69 Baja for the pan and title and swapping it over.

Scroll down to the smog section.

FFVR 23

Bert is my name

G.m. , Cummins, Ford, and Chrysler all sell emissions legal engine packages comes with all the junk to get the engine through smog. Makes the headache of tracking down all the parts go away. If a v8 or four banger diesel is your Choice of powerplant. If it's some other flavor of engine than you are still stuck using all of the factory parts for that engine. The rest of it is safety type stuff. Those engine packages get smuggled as an engine. Not the year of vehicle. My old boss wanted to do a low volume production run of 69 Camaro using the g.m. a-rod package and dynacorn reproduction bodies. All new parts. Cars would get a vin and get smogged as the year the engine was produced.

Crusty Shellback

So Party barge, I take it the car you built was abody style post smog and teh engine you unsed was a post smog engine. If that's not teh case, then you should have been able to regster the vechicle by the presmog part, car body or motor. Sb100 is the way to go to do that. people do it all the time.

When you go to do the BAR inspection, you tell them you want it regesterd by the year of the car if it is a pre smog car. Or by the year of the motor if it is a pre smog motor.

"An SPCNS certificate of sequence identifies a vehicle as one for which the owner may choose an emission control inspection based on the year model of the vehicle or the engine used in the vehicle (If the vehicle or engine does not resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the year model). The certificate is issued by DMV headquarters and will be mailed 7-10 working days after the application is accepted by your local DMV. The certificate must be presented to the BAR Referee Station at the time of inspection. "

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

So Party barge, I take it the car you built was abody style post smog and teh engine you unsed was a post smog engine. If that's not teh case, then you should have been able to regster the vechicle by the presmog part, car body or motor. Sb100 is the way to go to do that. people do it all the time.
The original pan was a 65? Corvair. The original SPCN title for it was 1970. There was no way to register it with a visit to the smog station. I spent plenty of time on the phone with the ref trying to work this out. There is no "legal" work around for this.

Since the Corvair pan was less that desirable, I bought a 67 Baja and swapped the pan. End of problem.

Using a pre-smog engine, you still have to smog a SPCN every 2 years. The test levels are for pre-65 engines. Pretty easy to pas but it's still a hassle.

I think you will find that the guys with then that don't have to smog them have them registered in a zone 3 area which only requires smog on vehicle sales.

Crusty Shellback

Maybe it's different. When I was looking into it. I was looking a building a Factory Five Cobra kit car. The process was to register it under SB100 as a 65 cobra, didnt matter the year of the motor. BAR would inspect it, title it as a 65 replica, and mark it no smog required.