street legal

dcman008

Reaction
i'm getting a 81 toyota PU and it's register off road only i was wondering what it takes to register on road again. and what it needs to street legal in socal? will post pic when i get it to show what i'm working with.

live long 91 corica

Tyson

Reaction
well how torn apart is it? starting easy, you're gonna need headlights, taillights, brake lights, blinkers, seats, OEM seat belts, and if you have to take it to the DMV then your gonna need a horn too.

It will have to pass smog, so you'll need the engine running at least decent, a catalytic converter, and a muffler. If it has a fuel cell then you're gonna need the stock filler neck (and this is depending on the fact that you find 1 of the possible 2 cool smog guys in CA) and get him to pass you on the visual of having a cell, and you will have to have the return lines hooked up (and I'm not sure if you have a charcoal cannister for a carb'd engine, if so then hook that up)

When was this green stickered, or is it a planned non-operation? I think it will be easier (and cheaper) if it is green stickered because then you will already have most of this stuff on the truck, if it is a planned non-op then I think you'll have to pay back registration (not sure though)

good luck!!

Tyson
YOTAPUNK</font color=red>

martininsocal

Reaction
if it is green stickered, there is a possibility you will have to go through brake and light safety check. then everything has to work and has to be DOT legal(you can't just hook up some orange clearance lights for turn signals, etc...) also, all smog equipment has to be in place, including the original style carb, etc...tires cannot rub in the fender wells either! (that one got me). it is really a pain in the ass to do, and i finally cheated and purchased another truck(wrecked) with a good title and did some swapping and presto...plates.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

dcman008

Reaction
right now it is green sticker . what it has race seats, 5 point harnesses, it is fully caged in side and out . it has a 20r motor and no bed or bed sides.

live long 91 corica