Street Legal?

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
Im turning 16 soon, and i May have to put a car on hold for now, but I do have a 2001 XR400 with a tail-light, a headlight, and a mirror. I'm 99% sure the tailpipe is street legal, and i don't know if i need new tires. i have Maxxis Desert IT tires. What else do i need to make it street legal?

thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Its almost impossible to street legal an offroad bike in california now. They stopped doing it like 3 or 4 years ago

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
Its almost impossible to street legal an offroad bike in california now. They stopped doing it like 3 or 4 years ago
well, i live on the outskirts of small-medium sized town in Nevada, so im pretty sure, there's less rules here. I can ride to my friends house without getting caught, but when i need to go into town, i can't.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
I figured they would be a little looser up there. A 450x would be alot of fun living in nevada

Reaction
Tires prob ok, but get a bicycle horn. Google NDOT, I'll bet their site has NV's roadgoing requirements. Good luck!

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
I looked up NDOT, and there website is very complicated with a bunch of useless crap. so I tryed DMV, and there website was much more helpful.

I need turn signals, reflectors, and another mirror. It still didn't say anything about tires, so im going to assume that im good with that. I'll check when i get my liscense.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Be on gaurd riding on the streets. Its a whole different deal. Everyone basically tries to take you out all day. You spend more time scanning ahead for crap that will run into than actually watching the road. Its like American Gladiator and supermoto all rolled into one.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
You shouldn't have a problem getting a 2001 bike street legalized. PM Troy Harper about his 650. He should be able to answer some questions.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Call Baja Designs...they sell the conversion kits and are pretty savi on the specific state laws.

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
alright, baja designs looks to have a lot that i need. I think im gonna buy from them.

Has anyone taken the Motorcycle driving test? what do you have to do?

oh, and i figured for reflectors, im just gonna make some, by buying some reflective tape, and putting it on the bike.

kenaroo

Reaction
you might be able to get by with the maxxis Desert IT as they have no "for off road" only markings nor do they have a DOT mark. In texas, inspectors dont' know what to think so they just pass our bikes with the Maxxis tires on them. not sure with Nevada

as stated before.. just be careful of the other people on the road as they will take you out without even knowing. plus, at 16.. it's hard not hauling arse around ... just for fun... so be safe.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
alright, baja designs looks to have a lot that i need. I think im gonna buy from them.

Has anyone taken the Motorcycle driving test? what do you have to do?

oh, and i figured for reflectors, im just gonna make some, by buying some reflective tape, and putting it on the bike.
yes, read the manual. They have some really stupid questions on the test.
http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/dlbookmotorcycle.pdf
prove that you know how to use the controls blinkers,horn etc.
run thru a bunch of cones w/o putting your foot down. the written test is the hard part.
dunlop 606 is dot approved.
i dont know if the reflective tape will pass.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Im turning 16 soon, and i May have to put a car on hold for now, but I do have a 2001 XR400 with a tail-light, a headlight, and a mirror. I'm 99% sure the tailpipe is street legal, and i don't know if i need new tires. i have Maxxis Desert IT tires. What else do i need to make it street legal?

Title It In wyoming THEN title it in nevada NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Baja D "Diego"

Reaction

I 've heard from various customers recently that NV is getting harder to register a off-road bikes to street legal. I would check with your local DMV or Inspection place to see what the regulations and requirements are.