Stud shear, what would cause this?

sincitysump

Reaction
Ok, driving down I-95 at 75 mph and the truck ( 2001 dodge 1500 4x4 ) starts shaking like hell, taking the pucker facter to +10. I get the truck off the freeway without the last stud breaking off, but the other four are gone. I had Discount Tire install new tires and wheels about a year ago, and had them rotated about six mounth ago. To get the last lug off, I fist broke a 1/2 drive 3/4 socket, then the rachet itself broke. I had to use a 3/4 drive rachet on a cheater bar to get it to break loose. Would this be caused buy the lug nut being over torqed by Dicount Tire or is it a bad Dodge hub, or what?

sincitysump

Reaction

sincitysump

Reaction

mike_hinson

Reaction
It looks like the broken surface has rust which indicates they may have been cracked for a while. Are they rusty or is it just the way they show up in the picture?

sincitysump

Reaction
All breaks are clean

michael

Reaction
I can't tell ya why, but I had all 6 break off on a 4WD Blazer(rear) at about 65 in the mountains pulling a 16' trailer. Talk about pucker factor....the 33" tire/wheel bounded down the road towards oncomming cars, over them and off into a ravine. We found the broken lugs with nuts still attached and not loose.....no clue, sorry.

tedmales

Reaction
i had a 94 dodge 4x4 and it broke lugs like it was cool. i just kept replacing them, but it got bad when on a trip you had to stop and tighten your wheels. i had center line wheels that used mag style lugs, they are the devil. they were getting loose and then breaking off. i just bought new wheels, i was scared to take the truck out of town. now i just check them pretty often. also maybe you could drill the lugs out to a bigger one, or buy better quality than factory. good luck.

dadomin8r

Reaction
If the wheels wre aluminum, were they ever re-tourqed after they were installed? They loosen a little on aluminum wheels and could have just fatigued the studs over time.

sincitysump

Reaction
Yes they are aluminum and no one has touched them since they left Discount Tire, But I guess I need to learn how to piss up a rope, since thats what I am getting back from Dodge and Discount Tire.

hoeker

Reaction
pay extra close attention to that wheel for a while after you get it on the street, if the taper on the wheel was damaged this could be a regular problem for you now. a friend had a 76 chevy that was notorious for this, he ended up carrying a torque wrench with him in the truck so he could retorque the wheels once a day. eventully he changed out all the studs to aftermarket, and didn't have more problems.

www.rosshoek.com

NicksTrix

Reaction
if you really wanted to know, you could send the studs out to be inspected & get a true analysis. what you could do with that info is up i the unkown.
first thing i'd do is replce all the studs, check your wheels to be sure the seats are alright (not oblonged), be sure your lug nuts match your wheels properly.
the lugs could have been over torqued a number of times, causing them to stretch. do you have a heavy offset wheel which could cause extra load for some reason?