Stunt Driver

Goober

Does anybody have any info on what it takes to be a stunt driver? I'm a doing a paper on it and can't find much info. There was an article on the CNN site but thats it. If you attend one of those schools is it hard to find work? Can you make a living doing this? Thanks for the help.

Kbach66

I know a couple people that do it, and yes they make decent money. They don't just drive, they ride and do other stunts as well. The biggest problem is that it's a close knit family and you basically have to know somebody to get your foot in the door.

TRichards

Talk to Rich Minga at Baja Racing Products. His # during working hrs is 760-723-2117. I belive he did quite a bit of stunt driving.

la2baja

Familia
Shelly Ward is a Precision Driver. Movies and comercials. http://www.shellywardent.com/ is his site. He is out prerunning for the BITD race this weekend but if you drop him an email he is a cool guy and might be able to help.

Wüste Mann

Ive also been looking for some good info on geeting into the stunt driving career and I cant find anythiny useful on the web, just people wanting large amounts of money to "Tell me where I can find work". The most success ive had so far has been local Student films needing Drivers, which is a start I guess...., but still hasn't gotten me much closer to making a carrer out of it.

la2baja

Familia
Welcome to Hollywood. If you can get student film work then you will eventually get into indie film work. Network constantly!! If there is a film near you and you can get on the set, do it. Help for free. Face time with the right people is everything. Do NOT pay someone for their "awesome secrets" to the industry. There is a sucker born every minute and that is what they make their $$$ on. There is no absolute road into that industry. Stunt drivers, directors, camera men.... Whatever it is you want to do, you have to be persistant, smart, and if you don't know someone, get to know someone. We aren't even talking about union work yet. That is a whole other bunch of hoops to jump through. Get your name in the credits as often as possible , no matter what level the movie being made is.

Good Luck

Jerry Zaiden

It is all on who you know as well as you do need some kind of skill.
I have been doing some precision driving in non-union gigs. I just did a GM spot for Canada that will be on TV and Internet soon. All I had to do in the last job is a merge. I spent the whole day as an extra in a wedding then they used me for 40 min driving. I got payed 10x what the extras made. I was just able to make the car do what it needed in the first try. Most people whould have taken 5-10 times.
A friend of mine Rhys Millen does this full time. He is in SAG and gets to do some amazing stuff. He is known as one of the best in that industry. He has skill that very few have behind the wheel of a car and this is what makes him so wanted as a driver.
You can see his skill in Dukes of Hazard drifting the General around a turnabout as well as in the Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift. Most of the very hard looking stunts he is behind the wheel.

Check this out! MySpaceTV: General Lee drift by Scott

la2baja

Familia
You can see his skill in Dukes of Hazard drifting the General around a turnabout as well as in the Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift. Most of the very hard looking stunts he is behind the wheel.

Check this out! http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1388130166
That sceen in Dukes is awesome. Full lock drift several times around in a cirlce, and just to make it rediculous... He is weaving in and out of traffic in the drift. If you haven't seen this movie, that sceen alone is worth the rental.

Jerry Zaiden

just for fun here is the commercial I was in. If you look close I am the one getting in the yellow car... I am in a suit! Very rare... lol..

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=eHlvz6LIbpc"]YouTube - GM Tv Commercial for Canada. I am at 13 seconds into the vid[/ame]

outtacontrazy

My cousin got into it about two years ago, he has been a special effects coordinator for over 15 years and lately with the CGI special effects, his trade has gone down the drain, so he pulled some strings and got in, he has made more $ in the past two years than he did in the past ten years, he does alot of fire and explosion driving(car on fire/car explodes) and alot of accident scenes for commercials like the VW crash commercial. The only reason he got the gig was because he was so connected from past years in the filming indusrty.