stupid frame question

gary

Reaction
'04 400ex. is the frame aluminum or steel? i'm 99% sure it's steel, but i could've swore i read it's aluminum somewhere, and i can't find any definitive info yet online...my buddy flipped my wife's quad, it's now got a bent stem and a bent stem mount area on the frame itself, along with a couple small cracks at the welds. gonna attempt to bend the frame area back, new stem is on it's way. also gonna try to weld up the cracks, maybe add a few gussets in that area? frame is painted/powdercoated, so it's steel, right???? but i swore i read somewhere that the frame is aluminum...

Attachments

glamisrnr

Reaction
I know on my 2001 400EX it is all steel even the subframe just grab a fridge magnet and see if it sticks to the frame, but I am pretty sure it is steel.

Chase 2

Reaction
'04 400ex. is the frame aluminum or steel? i'm 99% sure it's steel, but i could've swore i read it's aluminum somewhere, and i can't find any definitive info yet online...my buddy flipped my wife's quad, it's now got a bent stem and a bent stem mount area on the frame itself, along with a couple small cracks at the welds. gonna attempt to bend the frame area back, new stem is on it's way. also gonna try to weld up the cracks, maybe add a few gussets in that area? frame is painted/powdercoated, so it's steel, right???? but i swore i read somewhere that the frame is aluminum...
I don't know squat about quads but that is some fugly arsed mig welds on mild steel.

gary

Reaction
yeah, the welds are fairly hideous all over it. there's plenty of pieces of wire sticking out from other welds, too. how hard is it to yank off unused wire?

i never even thought about the magnet idea...that'll settle it, quick...thanks!

Baja D "Diego"

Reaction
Its steel for sure! Mine was 04 as well and had some fugly welds. Sold that thing quick and bought a CRF450R! :D

gary

Reaction
buddy paid for all new parts(again), but isn't mechanical.....or much of a rider, i spose ;)

my wife says he's banned, that's his 3rd "incident" on her quad in just over a year.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
buddy paid for all new parts(again), but isn't mechanical.....or much of a rider, i spose ;)

my wife says he's banned, that's his 3rd "incident" on her quad in just over a year.
You're buddy needs to start breaking his own stuff.

First rule of a borrowed bike: you break it, you buy it.
Second rule of a borrowed bike: you ride it, you wash it.

Chase 2

Reaction
You always return something borrowed in better condition than when you borrowed it.

kenaroo

Reaction
or the more common.

"hell... it ain't my bike"

or

"your bike is a p.o.s. it made me crash"

finally

"dude... sorry... I gotta go"

usually this is all after the pre ride conversation

"hey dude.. take it easy with my bike and don't crash"

usually followed by

"don't worry dude, I'm a professional"