Stupid Rookie Questions

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I'm from TTORA and have been interested in desert type offroading for couple of years now....

How do the classes go? class 7, 7s, 11, etc.? Most advanced/stock?

I'd also like to race my near stock truck. What is the lowest entry level part that I can start at? What items would I need? fuel cell? 5pt harness? roll cage? stock suspension??
-Chris

2000 v6 4x4 TRD 5-Speed Tacoma

frankh

Reaction
race MDR class 1450, you will need cell,nets, belts for sure. maybe a cage ? you can check them out a there next race.

buggys 11,9,5-1600,1600,5 unlimited,score lite,10,1

trucks 7s,7,8s,8,pro truck,tt

I know i messed some

Jimmy8

Reaction
You left out stock mini or what I refer to as stone stock 7, class 3, and in best in the desert stock full SUV (4100) and stock mini suv (3100), and of course sportsman classes.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080

scott

Reaction
I'm with Jimmy, you can run Stock Mini, but you need all the safety mods, Fuel Cell, 5 points, Cage, Fire Extinguisher, Helmet, etc. etc.... Check with Score, MDR, or BITD for the rule books.....

JCA

Reaction
BITD rule book is on line at www.andrewsracing.com

rdc

Reaction
Wow,, thanks guys.... Doesn't look like I need a roll cage for stock-mini, but I'm gonna get one anyway... BITD rules are for which competitions??? SCORE, MDR???
-Chris

Jimmy8

Reaction
The Best in the Desert racing association. They run races mostly in nevada, but are going to be running a race in mexico as well this year. I believe the rules go for the score stock mini class as well. Some pretty good trucks, Maccachren and olliges, LASD, dr. macrae glass. very competitive class.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080

Jimmy8

Reaction
Oh, and you will need that cage among other things. In best in the desert it is called class 7300 :)

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jimmy8 on 03/20/02 10:04 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
BITD is a separate body like MDR and SCORE but is not associated with those. They have separate races from SCORE and MDR. Also, just because it says "stock" in the classification doesnt mean that the other trucks have BONE stock trucks. I'm not even sure that the stock mini's have to be street legal like the class 1450 in MDR. I would race in sometype of street legal prerunner class. This is pretty much an open street legal class. Also, don't build your truck without seeing the trucks you will be up against. Get out to the races first and get to know the racers. You could even try to co-pilot with someone to give you some course knowledge.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

firedog

Reaction
Chris,
I would suggest buying a proven race truck/buggy that is for sale, it is by far the easiest way to get into racing. We started with a stock Toy truck and started building it up, cage, fuel cell, suspension mods, shocks, ect. It has taken us almost 4 years to get the truck working well (you'd be suprised what breaks during a race!) and we have spent more money building one that if we had just gone out and bought a used one. Last year we picked up a fab shop sponsor (Advanced Off-Road Research) and they have really helped our truck finish races. If you are set on building a vehicle, decide what class, go to a couple of races and check out your competition, and then decide what you need to do to your vehicle. Hope this helps.
Paul

Jimmy8

Reaction
I believe one of the old LASD Rangers is for sale in dusty times right now (class stock mini or 7300). That ranger is well proven and won a lot of races.

Trophy Truck #15
Class 8 #8080

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
If that's the old TTB 4wd Ranger then it's still capable of winning races (at $10k a pop!)
The truck was built and prepped by Spirit.

rdc

Reaction
Thanks for all the advice.... I think the best route would be to buy a used truck and start from there... I'd also need to get to the races and really see how they go and what not.... OUt of all the classes and different races, What would be the easist place to start at in racing? SCORE? MDR? BITD?
-Chris

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
MDR would be the cheapest as I believe they have the lowest entry fees.

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit, Deavers, 7100's, blah blah..

scott

Reaction
MDR has the cheapest entry fee, but Best in the Desert (BITD) has a pretty good payback especially if you run a Ford.. In your case would be a Ranger if your running 7300 class..

rdc

Reaction
Thanks guys.
-Chris

scott_angryswede

Reaction
i have to agree with paul / fire guys racing. buy something that is for that purpose. all you'll do to your new tacoma is ruin it if you run it. you can get a 9 buggy for about 3 grand, a 5 / 1600 car or a stock mini truck ready to go for 5 grand. it might sound like a lot now, but BELIEVE ME you'll spend At least double that making your own, plus that way you can go out and drive it next weekend. a big benefit to that is if you mess your race car up, you still have your tacoma to drive to work the next day.