Stupid Stuff

FABRICATOR

While on the beach at Ventura Sunday, we noticed a seal (seal lion crapucus) on the beach. A 50 foot radius area was roped off with federal signs protecting the beast. This was done by the life guards on duty nearby. Actually I did'nt think much about the situation at that time. The seal finally made his/her way back into the water about an hour later. About 40 minutes after that, while on the pier nearby, I noticed the life guard truck arriving near the spot where the seal was earlier. Two life guards got out of the truck to assist the locally assigned 2 lifeguards. What the 4 were were doing was making everyone move off the beach. It just so happened that another seal "walked up" to sun bathe for a while. It was clear that most of the people were not happy about moving as some were there all camped out for hours. The people who were moved, were nearly 40 feet from the new beast, but that was too close. Most of them were so disgusted that they did not move to another spot, they just left altogether. What are we trying to accomplish with this? Why do a bunch entrenched beach goers have to move away when all they are doing is lying there? Why do the seals need 50 feet of clearance. If the people are so distracting, harmful, and potentially dangerous, why did the seal dry dock himself and walk toward them in the first place.

This case may not be a big deal, but it represents a very big and pathetic situation. This puts not only the existence of the seal above our recreational needs (which is usually understandable), but now it is putting the seals recreational needs above ours and costs us plenty. Just had to share it.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
That sucks. I jstu had a tour today to our campus' new water chilling facility whic is huge it houses 300 million gallons of water. Well the doors into actual chiller/compressor/pump the facility are all double pain and insulated and the plant machinery cannot be run unless all the doors are completely shut. I asked why and they said there is an ordinance and they will get fined if the place is not shut. I asked what the ordinance was and they said that a Gnat Catcher (some lame bird) lives in the trees nearby and the bird will be upset from the noise so the shop has to be completely closed or a fine will be given.
I explained that I felt that it was teh lames tthing I ahve heard in a long time and if I worked here I would shoot at them with a BB gun jsut to get rid on them.

What is this state/country coming to? Why dont we just kill everybody and let the wildlife grow exponentilly so the animals can be happy at last..then the tree huggers will die in peace.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Our childrens school teacher has tried to tell our kids about Bio-diversity, how a squirrel in big bear is a complety different species than a squirrel in lake arrowhead because it may be slightly different in color or because one mainly eats acorns while the other eats pine nuts. A squirrel is a squirrel. I have explained to our kids that if we applied this to humans we would have 100's of different species of human due to skin and hair color ect. I try to keep an eye out for things like this that are told to my children.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab/Rally rookie</font color=yellow>

martininsocal

i work for the state, and the fire station i am assigned to had to be relocated during construction from the top of a knoll to a now needed huge excavation so the station would not ne in the flight path of gnat catchers. the state person from scales and bones, i mean, fish and game, said the station posed a danger in that birds may fly into it at the top of the hill. it was moved because now they can just clear the top of the hill and be above the roofline of the station. 10's of thousands of dollars more...

If your gonna go, go BIG

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Great Pat, now they are proabably gonna close the trails around arrowhead, blue-jay, big bear because there is an imbalance between the acron eating squirrels and the pine nut eating squirrels, or because some off-roader fed a squirrel some Pringles....

choppekx

RE: how a squirrel in big bear is a complety different species than a squirrel in lake arrowhead because it may be slightly different in color or because one mainly eats acorns while the other eats pine nuts.

I guess the greenies have never heard of evolution. ANimals have been doing this for years to adapt to the local enviroment. Could have started as the same squirrel.

Plants and animals have become extinct well before humans were around and will continue after the human race dies out I am sure of it.

Chris

AllwaysRcn

Well one good thing about the gnat catcher is that it's the only reason San Diego County still has a Drag Strip. It seems every time they sell the property and try to start developing it, one of those damn gnat catchers shows up when they're doing their "environmental impact study". Then everything comes to a stop and the track somehow remains open. (There is also a MotoX track and a GP track still in operation too!)

Dave_G

RE:"why did the seal dry dock himself and walk toward them in the first place."

Fabracator,
Right now there is a naturaly occuring bacterial condition in the ocean that has infected fish along the California coast. The seals eat the infected fish and become sick and beach themselves. Just like any other sick or wounded animal they sometimes will attack unprovoked as the seals are now doing up and down the coast. The seals usually get better on their own but some are having to be captured and rehabilitated. The life guards are just giving the sick seals some space so there are no confrontations with humans. This is only temporary until the bacteria in the food chain subsides.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Gabe Lara

To give the seal its space is just a precautionary measure for the people on the beach.
I've seen it before, and we all know how stupid some people can be.......

-Gabe

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
hopefully the seals don't beach themselves on pismo beach, or we've had it.
Jaron

Jack

They do this because people are to stupid to be carfull on there own, and when one gets hurt the will be happy to sue what ever agencie is incharge there.

martininsocal

different squirrells. this is precisely the argument that the enviro freaks are using to attack all off road usage areas. even in the wemo [plan, they are trying to differentiate between the mojave fringetoad lizards that live in the sand dunes(blow sand) and those that live on the ancient lava flows. other than a different color scheme(different lizard teams i guess),the DNA is exactly the same. they use the adapted color scheme as the differentiator between the two. same with the piersons milkvetch. it is the same as the milkvetch in Az. and Mex, but because it is in glamis, it just HAS to be different. one of a kind, couldn't be the same as the other plants, can't be, there is a freeway between them. just because squirrels eat different things does not make them different squirrels biologically, but in the minds of econuts, they sure are different!

If your gonna go, go BIG

FABRICATOR

Very touching scenario Dave, but that's not what was going on. (FABRACATOR?)

Actually, I never said the seals were sick and they looked anything but sick. This turned out to be a daily routine. And they were'nt attacking anyone. They waddled up, rolled around as if playing, layed around a while, then waddled back to the water averaging about 45 minutes to an hour. Absolutely no one was in their way or even close to it. The seals only go at most 25 feet past the water line. They don't go any higher, why the hell would they? This is then 75 feet for the beach goers even if they are lying down or just sitting in a chair. I mis-stated the area as a radius actually, it was a square and includes 100 feet of beach frontage. At a minimum of 7,500 square feet, this is more than "just giving them room."

How would you like to get moved if a lizard came within 50 feet of you at your favorite off-road race or beer drinking spot, or where ever? I hear Gnat Catchers are attracted to water soluble oils.

Enough about seals. You guys have some pretty good, pathetic, stories.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Dave_G

RE: " I never said the seals were sick and they looked anything but sick."

Doesn't matter. The life guards or who ever are not trained in identifying weather the seals are sick or not. And I'll bet money marbles and chalk you can't either. According to todays paper the toxic infection problem is making it's way farther up the coast than expected. The lifeguards are only doing their jobs as ordered by their supervisors in dealing with this specific problem.

Do yourself a favor and get educated pal.... you need it.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

frankh

I really like it when you go offshore and there are a bunch of people waiting to get off the boat, but you can't. You have to sit there and wait for the seal to get off the landing by it's self. Good thing there are not any seal trained life guards out there are you would never get to work.

FABRICATOR

Re: "Do yourself a favor and get educated pal.... you need it."

What's up Dave?
Pardon me, I assumed your slogan was in jest. You really do know it all!!!

If the education you are talking about makes me one step closer to being like you, no thanks.

tkr

are we gonna have to separate you two??

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
let the flames begin

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>