STX Ranger 4wd

martininsocal

Reaction
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into this truck. I am looking at a 1988 4wd STX with teh 2.9 and auto trans. The rear end is making noise(yes it is the rear) What were the specifics from the factory with these trucks? does it have a 7.5 or an 8.8? I am assuming it has 3.73 gears. What was the size of the fuel tank? (I seem to remember that they had larger tanks than the standard factory rides) Any good or bad to know about them? This one has the electric 4wd and transfer case, is it easy to make this a manual change(I hate electric stuff on offroad trucks). What are the opinions?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

robert_encinas

Reaction
hey martin, i had this same truck i bought new from the dealer in feb. 88. but had the manual hubs.
the rear end is in fact the 7.5 with 3.73 gears . i had the 5 speed trans so i would asume that they would be the same.
i had no major problems at all with this truck that i did not inflick on it myself. i ended up getting in a head on
accident in it at the 91 baja 500.the baja shop did my fab work on it back then (el rey racing back then) and my fiberglass
fenders came off of curt leducs prerunner ranger . god it seems like a lifetime ago. the fuel tank is a 15 gallon i beleive if it is a short bed and an 18 for the long bed
the rear end noise is probably the pinion going out.

jeff

Reaction
Swapping the hubs and transfer case from Auto/Electric is easy to do. I've actually swapped both on separate trips to Glamis. A few years ago I swapped a buddies Auto hubs to Manual WARN units. This last Thanksgiving he drove it out there with a bum electric transfer case and I swapped in the manual version he had brought along. Both swaps were "powered by beer" and both swaps are still running fine. You can do both in an afternoon without rushing with one set of hands.

I've got a video of me under the truck somewhere doing the transfer case install - one of my finer moments.

That same buddy has a rear end out of his 91 that is in good shape that's been sitting in his garage for a few years now. If you need a good rear end I'm sure he'd sell it cheap.

Here's a link to the video - it's a pretty large file...
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tanyaandjeff.com/video/MOV01625.MPG>http://www.tanyaandjeff.com/video/MOV01625.MPG</A>

Aloha

jeff

Reaction
Right click and Save As... for it to work.

sirhk100

Reaction
I don't know a lot of details about that truck but, I do know that the Auto hubs to Manual is EASY to do. 1-2 hours... Once you figure out the first hub doing the 2nd one will take like 15 minutes. Also, that auto transfercase isn't that bad. I don't know what failed on Jeff's friends but as long as you engage it occasionally they seem to do fine. I've heard the biggest problem is the solenoid that engages it sticks from sitting too long but if you just use it occasionally.... Pop it on and off going down the road or somthing they seem to be fine. My biggest worry on my explorer is the switch on the dash failing!!!

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

martininsocal

Reaction
On this particular truck, the switches are in an overhead console. It will not switch into 4wd unless the auto trans is in nuetral. The guy who owns it said he has had to "fix" the little electric wheel a couple times on the transfer case. He says it has a set of arms and one gets stuck out of position(it has happened to him twice in 6 years). I am also underthe assumption this model comes from the factory with a limited slip, true? The vibration in teh rear is strongest when backing up, but it also jerks while idling forward in gear. Clutch plates or R/P?
Thanks for all the info. I am debating about this one or a 2wd with the 2.9 and manual trans.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG