Sub 2 minute driver/co-driver tire changes?

Stuilen

Over the years I've been hearing of tires changes during a race "on course" being done in under 2 minutes by usually just the co driver. Is this the acceptable standard I need to include in my resume for a right seat position? If so please include helicopter, in car or other videos that you may have both in practice and real time so I can compare my times.
Disclaimer: This is mainly for my viewing enjoyment and probably others as well and I'm not looking for seat time either unless my arm gets bent in an uncomfortable position. Please refrain from posting about "his belts weren't even on all the way when they took off" because that's been covered before. I just want to see it for myself as the finish line interviews always have some great times announced to the world.

MTPyle

I hear less than 2 min for on board jack tire changes. I think I heard someone recently say they did it in just over a minute.

Whats the range for On board jacks and whats the average for portable jack tire changes?

We have been taking 10 minutes to change a tire with our set up and its painful. Seems we always have issues some tires changes have been 12 and a recent one at V2R was 17 as it was in the sand and really difficult.

We have been looking into on board jacks and man its not simple or cheap. It will cost around $8-9K for the system to be installed. But to save 8+ minutes on a tire change would be a race changer for us.

Mike

Jacob Wisdom

In my experience, most of what dictates this occurs before you get out of the car. Terrain under the car, appropriate jack for vehicle, lug wrench v impact v torque and spare location/retention are all massively important. Scrambling can cut the time in half but can't work miracles when the other variables are wrong.

Frank13

It’s such a great feeling as a co-dog when you get the perfect tire change. Driver pulled off in the perfect spot, nice hard pack ground, no rocks to trip over, rachet strap doesn’t stick, flat isn’t corded around the hub, every lug hit perfectly, flat back in the rack first try, and back in the cab before ever getting passed.

There should be a co-dogs only thread to share stories.

jon coleman

It’s such a great feeling as a co-dog when you get the perfect tire change. Driver pulled off in the perfect spot, nice hard pack ground, no rocks to trip over, rachet strap doesn’t stick, flat isn’t corded around the hub, every lug hit perfectly, flat back in the rack first try, and back in the cab before ever getting passed.

There should be a co-dogs only thread to share stories.
let me guess, not one driver ' atta boy' on the dream tire stop, but, if your sucking, the drivers whining, LoUdLy!?, right?

MTPyle

I think we are going to start practicing both driver and Co doing the change and see how we do. There has to be a better way to change tires fast without spending $10K on jacks. LOL

We got one of those scissor jacks to try out. It seems simple and with a impact pretty fast. Anyone have any luck with those on a larger truck?

I tired to find the bottle jack type but nobody builds one. Our Pro Eagle is a decent jack but by the time you get it out, put the bar in, and jack it up it takes a long time. We didn't make a new mount thats faster but still not great.

Mike

y2kbaja

If you try a scissor jack make sure you try to jack with the tire flag. We used one and it worked great in the shop, once we had a flat it didn't have the leverage to lift the car from flat.

Fourstroker

Mike - were you unable to get one of the air jacks from Herbst? Bunderson makes an air jack as well. Might check there. I wouldn't even consider a scissor jack for a TT/6100

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
I'll bite and brag about my co-dog. Johnny did a 1:12 at the recent Vegas to Reno, WITH a re-rack of the flat back onto the truck, by himself, with onboard jacks. Confirmed on Motec, from the point when wheels came to a stop to the wheels moving again. Next level.

**Edited: Double checked the Motec, it was a 1:12 not a 1:05. My bad! haha

Last edited:

C.J. Hutchins

Drew and I have our field tire changes down to right around 2 min, if we both get out. no onboard jacks... But you have to practice..... Mike you're going to have a hard time finding the top spot if your field changes are 10 minutes!!

C.J. Hutchins

Mike - were you unable to get one of the air jacks from Herbst? Bunderson makes an air jack as well. Might check there. I wouldn't even consider a scissor jack for a TT/6100
Geiser makes one too, we use a bunderson air jack, we have a bottle mounted to the car and hard lines ran to the front and rear. still a lot of steps once we get out of the car, have to connect hose to jack, turn bottle on, open valve on jack change tire then put everything back. But its all about practice, we know exactly what each of our jobs are when we get out. very little talking and lost of hard breathing! I think most top tt guys have onboard jacks and drivers dont get out anymore, but for my team its faster if I get out so thats what we do.

C.J. Hutchins

I'll bite and brag about my co-dog. Johnny did a 1:05 at the recent Vegas to Reno, WITH a re-rack of the flat back onto the truck, by himself, with onboard jacks. Confirmed on Motec, from the point when wheels came to a stop to the wheels moving again. Next level.
That is super impressive, also thats why he makes the big bucks!!! Johnny is awesome one the coolest dudes in our sport.