Sub 2 minute driver/co-driver tire changes?

joshmx88

Is there any advantage to having the driver stay in and not help? Seems like the big dogs dont get out but in limited classes it seems like the driver usually helps?....

michael.gonzalez

IMO, better for the driver to stay in (and strapped in).

Co-driver does all the work so driver can be less fatigued and stay more focused.
Good time for the driver to breathe, stretch, take a drink of water.
Co-driver hops back in. Drivers hands back on the wheel while co-driver straps in and then hammer down!

Doing this also makes it necessary to have the tire, jack, and impact, easily accessible to the co-driver.

CHASETHISTOO

In my 1 car days and when I race our current 5 car I get out with my Co-Driver. No on board jacks in either car but we know exactly what our roles are and we try to execute them the best we can. Tire changes from stop to moving are between 2 to 3 minutes with perfect conditions. In our 6100 truck we have onboard jacks. I stay in to control the valves and Jake gets out and busts ass. We have gotten them down to just under 2 minutes but they are more like 2:30 consistently. Once again...from stop to wheels moving.

jon coleman

I think we are going to start practicing both driver and Co doing the change and see how we do. There has to be a better way to change tires fast without spending $10K on jacks. LOL

We got one of those scissor jacks to try out. It seems simple and with a impact pretty fast. Anyone have any luck with those on a larger truck?

I tired to find the bottle jack type but nobody builds one. Our Pro Eagle is a decent jack but by the time you get it out, put the bar in, and jack it up it takes a long time. We didn't make a new mount thats faster but still not great.

Mike
yes, make sure its flat to set up jack, bottle jack with a squar foot alum.plate worked great for 35s when i co road, then have an old skool hi lift jack for ugly flat location( good shovel too

Stuilen

I'll bite and brag about my co-dog. Johnny did a 1:05 at the recent Vegas to Reno, WITH a re-rack of the flat back onto the truck, by himself, with onboard jacks. Confirmed on Motec, from the point when wheels came to a stop to the wheels moving again. Next level.
Next level for sure! As always its great watching and hearing from the teams that put in the effort and get results. After all isnt wining what every team that enters is striving for? Now where are the videos from you and your cousin? I believe you on the Motec data but I really would like to see the action all 65 seconds worth so all of us slow changers can study and learn from. Thanks

Stuilen

Many cars I've been in have a yard sale setup of jacks, handles, impacts and breaker bars scattered all over and it really hurts the times. I think it gets overlooked quite a bit during a build and usually whatever space is left is where all the tools end up. The whole ratchet strap tie down triangle twisted un hooked mess when trying to re rack is another weekend practice session. I miss the threaded spinners with the jack base for the hold down version sometimes.

baja_racer

Should be something teams practice..............we never did.

jon coleman

Next level for sure! As always its great watching and hearing from the teams that put in the effort and get results. After all isnt wining what every team that enters is striving for? Now where are the videos from you and your cousin? I believe you on the Motec data but I really would like to see the action all 65 seconds worth so all of us slow changers can study and learn from. Thanks
video will probably look boring and slow, yet, 65 seconds of smooth - hit-your-marks, no panic, perfection.sorta like really fast motocross guys, there twice as fast as us mortals, yet look twice as slow....

StickmanLV

Do the king screw jacks work for these big trucks? They seemed great for a class 10 in the shop. Not so great when I used it on course but I also never practiced.

Wendell #527

We had better luck when I stayed in the car with my foot smashed on the brake to keep it from rolling. We tried the scissor jacks but they didn’t work. We used a high lift type of jack I think was out of a Cadillac that was light, tall and strong. Just put a bigger plate on it. We had good jacking locations on all 4 corners of the car. We could do sub 3 minutes changes but nowhere near 1:05 or even 2 minutes. . One tire change took us 25 minutes because the tire chords had made a birds next in the hub. What a mess that was.

jon coleman

We had better luck when I stayed in the car with my foot smashed on the brake to keep it from rolling. We tried the scissor jacks but they didn’t work. We used a high lift type of jack I think was out of a Cadillac that was light, tall and strong. Just put a bigger plate on it. We had good jacking locations on all 4 corners of the car. We could do sub 3 minutes changes but nowhere near 1:05 or even 2 minutes. . One tire change took us 25 minutes because the tire chords had made a birds next in the hub. What a mess that was.
toss a cheapo harbour frieght pair of bolt cutters in the tool bag, i seen a bike with the barbed wire wrap, BCs worked good, small pair

JDDurfey

If 5 or 6 lugnuts keep a wheel on a moving vehicle why can't two secure a wheel to the rack on the back? Is there a reason straps are used to hold the wheel on and not simply two studs that can have the nuts tightened with the same size socket as the lug nuts. I know this requires removing and reinstalling a few nuts, but I don't see how that would take any longer than dealing with the straps.

I understand when the spares are in a vertical arrangement this would not really work and the straps would be the answer. But when the tires are placed horizontal it would be possible.

Enlighten me please.

bajafox

Accepted
Do these times include putting the flat back on the vehicle or leaving it out in the desert?

It will probably take me at least 2 minutes just to get the 37" tire out of the truck, which is why I stay in the chase trucks

ht racing

If 5 or 6 lugnuts keep a wheel on a moving vehicle why can't two secure a wheel to the rack on the back? Is there a reason straps are used to hold the wheel on and not simply two studs that can have the nuts tightened with the same size socket as the lug nuts. I know this requires removing and reinstalling a few nuts, but I don't see how that would take any longer than dealing with the straps.

I understand when the spares are in a vertical arrangement this would not really work and the straps would be the answer. But when the tires are placed horizontal it would be possible.

Enlighten me please.
one word ....... silt the more you have threads and nuts to deal with the more problems you have with cross threads, loosing nuts putting a 40" tire and wheel on the studs and not just dropping it in the rack.

y2kbaja

Do these times include putting the flat back on the vehicle or leaving it out in the desert?

It will probably take me at least 2 minutes just to get the 37" tire out of the truck, which is why I stay in the chase trucks
BITD Requires vehicles not to leave tires in the desert. They check wheels at tech for numbers stamped on them so they can find the litterer.

Frank13

What do most drivers/co-drivers prefer when you pull into a checkpoint to change a flat? Would you rather be left alone? Or want our help?

mxben

video will probably look boring and slow, yet, 65 seconds of smooth - hit-your-marks, no panic, perfection.sorta like really fast motocross guys, there twice as fast as us mortals, yet look twice as slow....
Thats a terrible analogy try again....

jon coleman

Thats a terrible analogy try again....
bad boy said if you want to win at Carlsbad, slowdown, dont rush, .practice your tire changes and go at your practice pace & you will have 2 minute changes, if you try and rush it, it LOOKS fast, but it took 5 minutes

cynicwanderer

Over the years I've been hearing of tires changes during a race "on course" being done in under 2 minutes by usually just the co driver. Is this the acceptable standard I need to include in my resume for a right seat position? If so please include helicopter, in car or other videos that you may have both in practice and real time so I can compare my times.
Disclaimer: This is mainly for my viewing enjoyment and probably others as well and I'm not looking for seat time either unless my arm gets bent in an uncomfortable position. Please refrain from posting about "his belts weren't even on all the way when they took off" because that's been covered before. I just want to see it for myself as the finish line interviews always have some great times announced to the world.
one of my co-driver friends has been doing serious fitness training for the last few years so he doesn't get winded during tire changes and pushing. granted it's only Class 11 and the tires are lighter, but they end up do a lot of pushing/recovery work, while the driver stays in the car. I can see people doing interval/weight training just to minimize the tire change time. BTW, we got first at the last B1K and all that fitness training certainly had an effect in their section, because they got stuck several times and had flats.